Notices
Evo General Discuss any generalized technical Evo related topics that may not fit into the other forums. Please do not post tech and rumor threads here.
Sponsored by: RavSpec - JDM Wheels Central

How Do You Title JDM Car In Us? Help!

Search this Thread

Old Nov 3, 2007, 09:39 AM
Evolving Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
How Do You Title JDM Car In Us? Help!

ok heres the deal i recently posted a thread about an evo 3 and i found one for sale, they want 11k for it and i would like to buy it, but i need to get it a us title, the person selling it said they could but it would cost 3-5000 $ and it would just say 95 mitsubishi 4door, thats a little odd.. He also said its froma certain state hes getting it from, and he said only certain states will do it,

does anyone know how to get a title or somone i can contact to get this started, or what state will do it? thanks alot
Old Nov 3, 2007, 09:41 AM
Evolved Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
i know it has to get some sort of federal sticker on it to show it withstands our crash test ratings and stuff like that....if you dont get it, they can take your car away from you. not likely they will check, but it can happen. so i would look into that

and if hes getting a title from another state, you would still need it titled in your state to have tags put on it. im not sure about all the details, i just know the basic things
Old Nov 3, 2007, 09:53 AM
Evolved Member

be carefull when trying to do this. Some people are scandalous!!!!
Old Nov 3, 2007, 10:01 AM
Evolved Member

A quick google search returned this:

http://www.cyberdriveillinois.com/pu...s/vsd27212.pdf

There are many ways to title a grey vehicle in the US, both legal and illegal depending on how you look at it. People have been doing it for a while with 240s/S13/S14/S15.

Blake
Old Nov 3, 2007, 10:19 AM
Evolved Member

Just to inform you, there are some things that need to be done.

If you buy the Evo 3, the most illegal way to do it, but can be effective, is to buy a wrecked evo 8 and swap all the vin badging and register it as an Evo 8.

Thats illegal.

But the Evo 3 was never brought here and crash tested....so in order for the DOT to approve it, they would have to have some cars that have been crash tested to conform....under whichever guidelines they determine.

for instance, the R33 and R34 skyline was brought to the country, and can be deemed OK for federal approval, if the appropriate crash equipment is added. What this is, I do not know.

Motorex crash tested r32's r33's and r34's so they could be deemed legal for US highways.

Thats about as much as I know. Good luck
Old Nov 3, 2007, 10:30 AM
Evolving Member

No Motorex only crash tested R33's... which is why they got their *** handed to them when they started importing R32's and R34's illegally and now they're shut down.
Old Nov 3, 2007, 10:35 AM
Evolving Member

why is it that I see street legal hot rods, muscle cars, 57 chevys, kit cars, etc. driving around fully licensed and legal, with no airbags, seat bealts or w/e, but we cant bring in other cars without a ton of hassle and fed approval.
Old Nov 3, 2007, 10:44 AM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by DarkMastyr
No Motorex only crash tested R33's... which is why they got their *** handed to them when they started importing R32's and R34's illegally and now they're shut down.

I heard they got in trouble. Now I know why. I stand corrected.

There are still several places importing R34's...www.turbovisions.com

I actually contacted a guy there and he provided me with a lot of information regarding that, but it sounded over simplified.

I decided Im going to pick up an Evo MR and in the far future a GTR to avoid the hassle.
Old Nov 4, 2007, 10:31 AM
Account Disabled

OK people, I've posted this in a number of other places, so I just cut and paste it. I have ALOT of experience on this, and personally know alot of key people involved, please PM me if you have any specific questions.

OK, Here's how you import a car that has never been federalized:

Buy 5 of the cars.

Leave one of them in a Bonded warehouse for approximately 2 years

Two you need to send to a company that does federally regulated crash testing. This along with approximately $75,000

Have them crash test the 2 cars in both front side, and side impact crash testing. Then wait for about 6 months while they do a full analysis of the damage.

Send the other two cars to a company that has experience in chassis modification. Once the crash analysis is done, have the chassis company modify the car with what they THINK will bring the car up to current DOT specifications. Also have them change out all the glass in the car with DOT approved glass. This includes the windshield, rear window, all side glass, (new rear glass will have to be fabricated), headlights, tail lights and all plastic marker lights. As well as airbags which have been approved for use in the chassis. (this part will be easy as I am sure they are a direct swap with US counterparts) Swap out the ECU and all emissions parts with a US vehicle of the same year, so that it matches current EPA regulations with US OBDII diagnostics

Now, send these modified cars back to the crash testing company. Have them crash test the cars and do analysis. HOPEFULLY the chassis company did a good enough job that the car will pass the test. Otherwise, you have to send another two to the chasis company to design more chassis reinforcement.

Once you pass the crash testing, have all the modifications done to the car that you have in the boded warehouse that you did to the cars that passed the crash and emissions testing. Take it to the chassis company write a letter to the DOT that the vehicles has been modified to meet all current DOT and EPA standards along with all your crash and Emissions testing data. Now wait 6 months. DOT will send you a little sticker saying that your vehicle has been certified for use on US highways.

Then take this cool sticker and your car to your local MVD. Have them inspect the vehicle as an out of country vehicle along with all the paperwork from the DOT, and they will issue you a plate.

Now, here's where the skyline got through, and Motorex scamed the EPA.

They crash tested 4 '93 R33s and went through the whole process listed above, and said that the R32 and R34 were of "similar design and chassis" as the R33s. They modified the R32s and R34s similar to the R33s, and brought in all cars as a "93 or older" car. This way they didn't have to have ODBII or passenger side airbags in the cars.

Someone crashed an R34, and the car was shredded. the DOT started an investigation, called Nissan, and nissan said that the R32s and R34s were separately designed vehicles. DOT stopped all certification of all skylines except the exact dupilcates of what was crashed in the testing. Motorex had many cars which were purchased already yet had not been certified, that they could no longer certify and give to the customers, and were now worthless as they had limited value in Japan, and could not leave the port unless they were headed back to Japan.

The owners of Motorex fled the US for Japan, the people who had pre-paid for their skylines never got their cars, and the DOT seized and crushed the vehicles that were at the port.

Now, there are ways to get the car to the US, and to get the car titled and licenced in the US, however if the DOT finds out, your car will be seized and crushed.

why is it that I see street legal hot rods, muscle cars, 57 chevys, kit cars, etc. driving around fully licensed and legal, with no airbags, seat bealts or w/e, but we cant bring in other cars without a ton of hassle and fed approval.
Because home-built vehicles fall under a totally separate category. Depending on the state, the car has to meet certain manditory standards. For example, in AZ a kit car which is built has to meet emissions/regulatory standards of the "body shape" year of the vehicle it is emulating. for example if it has the body of a 60s cobra it has to have lap belts like a 60s cobra. cars of a new design again fall under another category.
Old Nov 4, 2007, 10:38 AM
Evolved Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by DSM GSR04
they are on special tags and have special insurance...
i know in MD historic and street rod cars are only allowed on the road on saturdays and sundays

and plus them cars were all built here and used here at one point. they werent imported from another country. so at the time they were used here in the country, they passed the DOT standards
Old Nov 4, 2007, 10:45 AM

most of the JDM cars in the US are only "State Legal" which can work,if your cops dont know anything about it
State Legal, does NOT mean your car is DOT and EPA approved!
the cars that are 100% Legal are "Federally" and "State" Registered!
I know all this,cause i almost bought a Skyline GTR,thinking it was legal cause it had a FL title
Also the West Coast is way more strict about the whole JDM legal thing
If you get caught with a "State" registered only car,and the cops know whats up,they will impound your car,and crush it,and you will be fined,possible jail time!
its so not worth it!
Unless the JDM car has both DOT and EPA approved through CA,the strictest state of all,with a US Vin,all paperwork to prove it,then id consider buying it

Feel free to call the US Department of Transportation.202-366-5291
and US Environmental Protection Agency.734-214-4100
Just give them the VIN#
Old Nov 4, 2007, 10:47 AM

LEGAL JDM cars!
http://rbmotoring.com/gallery/album141

http://www.cardomain.com/ride/2634402

http://www.vipimports.com/Car-Nissan-2/nissan2.htm

http://www.theshopct.com/cars/96_nis...e/skyline.html
Old Nov 4, 2007, 10:53 AM

quote from one of my Supra buddies with a JDM MKIV
"Its all about enforcement and education. If the cars from Japan gets a 'U.S.' Vin numbers, then that means they had been federally deemed streetable in the whole US. If its a State assigned VIN, then its only 'legal' to be operated in that state BUT there is a chance to get reciprocity and it depends on your local DMV to accept or deny the request. If your local DMV allows the transfer of Title to your current state, then your state technically legalizes your vehicle. Unfortunately, some cops are getting educated and now start asking for vehicle titles when it comes to GTRs. Mostly California cops are the ones getting really picky due to the whole Motorex scandal. From what I understand, only the R33s are the only once that have a chance on getting federally legalized. In Nevada, the hardest part was getting a comparable to the particular vehicle to price for taxes. The inspection was easy, even with my big turbo present under the hood .
Old Nov 4, 2007, 10:54 AM
Evolving Member

i think the domestic car market is paying the government for the bs rules to keep out foreign cars hence the higher smog standards on foreign then domestic. There a many reasons why and mpg is by far one of them. Only dont tell the domestic car manufactures that otherwise they threaten you
Old Nov 4, 2007, 10:57 AM
BBS
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by V1RGINEVO9
ok heres the deal i recently posted a thread about an evo 3 and i found one for sale, they want 11k for it and i would like to buy it, but i need to get it a us title, the person selling it said they could but it would cost 3-5000 $ and it would just say 95 mitsubishi 4door, thats a little odd.. He also said its froma certain state hes getting it from, and he said only certain states will do it,

does anyone know how to get a title or somone i can contact to get this started, or what state will do it? thanks alot
If this is your daily driver, be careful about the RHD. If you crash, your insurance company just may decline coverage.

Quick Reply: How Do You Title JDM Car In Us? Help!