Notices
Evo General Discuss any generalized technical Evo related topics that may not fit into the other forums. Please do not post tech and rumor threads here.
Sponsored by: RavSpec - JDM Wheels Central

mid cabin vibration

Search this Thread

Old Jan 30, 2008, 06:12 PM
Evolving Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Uh nothing like mine but thanks.
Old Jan 30, 2008, 06:14 PM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by waynea
Not sure how many miles he has on it. It should be easy for anyone with a lift to check for wheel bearing or drive shaft play. But given the timing on things I'll agree with that it is likely a wheel balance issue. Do you have anyone to swap wheels with just to try?
NO i have only seen a few other evos around my city and don't know who they are. And i have 43k. I need to find someone with a lift. i dont want to take to the dealership anymore. its been there too much lately.
Old Jan 30, 2008, 08:23 PM
Evolved Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by N8THEGR8
when drinving for a long time the vibration goes away completely(my guess is the tires actually got warm enough).
you may want to read this:

http://www.tirerack.com/tires/tirete....jsp?techid=42
Old Jan 31, 2008, 05:23 PM
Evolving Member

interesting
Old Jan 31, 2008, 08:57 PM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by N8THEGR8
when i am going 25mph or slower everything is good. When i hit 30 mph(doesn't matter what gear) I feel a vibration about mid cabin(driver/passenger seat). its bad at 30mph and starts to go away about 45/50 mph. Now like i said it doesn't matter what gear I'm in, i can put it in neutral and it still does it which leads me to believe it might be a rear axle. but i was also thinking maybe the drive shaft is loose? It doesn't affect the performance at all just kind of bother some. Any one have an idea?
Wow, sounds like the exact same vibration I have been experiencing. Mine is an 03' with 43k on the clock. All service done regularly, car has never been launched (I'm an old fart ).

I have gone over everything that rotates . . . here is what I suspect. If you jack up the car at the rear, grab the driveshaft at either one of the support bushings and see if you can move the driveshaft up and down by hand.

On my car I can move it a bunch! Both of these support bushings are rubber but there are no signs of cracking at all.

My car does it worse on deceleration. You will feel a definite vibration that is most noticeable in 4th gear, off the gas. At 2900 RPM's it will vibrate a fair amount, then it seems to lessen as you slow down.

It will do it until the car gets down to about 25 MPH, I'm stumped

Good luck
Old Jan 31, 2008, 09:43 PM
Evolved Member

Received 144 Likes on 128 Posts
"I have gone over everything that rotates . . . here is what I suspect. If you jack up the car at the rear, grab the driveshaft at either one of the support bushings and see if you can move the driveshaft up and down by hand.

On my car I can move it a bunch!"

You haven't discovered anything here but hangers in their normal condition. Mitsubishi has always made them sloppy loose. There are after market inserts available for time attach people who have the driveshaft hitting the under pan. Otherwise - normal.
Old Jan 31, 2008, 09:52 PM
Evolving Member

yeah that sounds like it could be the problem, except mine will do it in all gears. its my mphs that seem to be affected. From 30mph to around 45mph is were i noticed. It doesn't matter what gear. but i will check that anyway. Thanks for the info.
Old Feb 1, 2008, 12:30 PM
Evolving Member

I guess I didn't explain that very well. My car will do it in any gear and it is speed related.

I go over a mountain every day and it seems to vibrate most when off the throttle going downhill.

There is nothing visibly wrong with the bushings. I was just surprised at how flexible they are.

I can grab the prop shaft in front of one bushing and also behind the rear bushing and if you pull up on one end and pull down on the other it is amazing how far they will move just by hand.

Obviously under accel or decel the driveshaft can probably get into a wobble.

Just my $.02
Old Feb 1, 2008, 03:18 PM
Evolved Member

Received 144 Likes on 128 Posts
I first noticed this on my DSM. You could move the drive shaft around almost like it wasn't attached to the car. I drove that rig over 100k with no problems with the drive shaft - no vibrations. The drive shaft on the Evo is an identical design.

Anyway, I think you need to look elsewhere for the vibration's cause. My guess is that sending the tranny to Shep would be the cure.
Old Feb 6, 2008, 10:10 AM
Evolving Member

tranny just got rebuilt under factory warranty. thats not it. i think i will just wait till spring when i change the rims/tires. If spring ever gets here
Old Feb 12, 2008, 06:12 PM
Evolving Member

Received 15 Likes on 6 Posts
i have close to the same problem, but mine will only shake when i am at WOT.. only does it once u get past 30ish. at normal driving it is fine. i took it to my local shop and they told me my INNER cv joint was going bad... downfall is, from what i am reading, u can not replace the cv joint... u have to replace the whole axle
Old Jul 7, 2011, 08:07 AM
Former Sponsor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I'm gonna resurrect this thread from the dead because I'm having the exact same issue and exact same symptoms.
I've been through different sets of tires,rims, balancing you name it. Cant seem to pin-point this rumblimg vibration/harminic that seems to come from the front center section of the cabin.
Its not a loud or metallic noise like you would hear from the DP hitting something, more like helicoptor spooling up or something to that effect, maybe like a wheel bearing starting to go bad-which its not, because they have been throughly checked.
The only thing I can come up with is that the drive shaft is out of balance. Reason being is, like the OP stated it started after I did my clutch. At the time when I did it I didnt think to mark the drive shaft sections where I seperated the fwd section from the mid section to get the TC out. I guess I need to go back and seperate the DS and start going through all 4 possible positions and see if that does anything to improve the situation.
Any other thoughts on balancing the DS or suggestions are apppreciated.