Notices
Evo General Discuss any generalized technical Evo related topics that may not fit into the other forums. Please do not post tech and rumor threads here.
Sponsored by: RavSpec - JDM Wheels Central

Cusco Front Power Brace and Intercooler Upgrade

Old Jan 23, 2008, 11:34 AM
Evolving Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Cusco Front Power Brace and Intercooler Upgrade

I have a cusco front power brace installed and I am planning my future modifications for the year. I have attached a picture of what the front power brace looks like installed. I am very interested in the ETS Intercooler but when you look at their picture it looks like fitment maybe a problem.

1) Is anyone running this combination? If so what thickness ETS option - 3"?

2) Anyone running this brace with another intercooler that confirms fitment?

Thanks for everyones help in advance.
Attached Thumbnails Cusco Front Power Brace and Intercooler Upgrade-cusco-front-power-brace.jpg   Cusco Front Power Brace and Intercooler Upgrade-ets-intercooler.jpg  
Old Jan 23, 2008, 11:39 AM
Evolving Member

I found some more pictures while searching....

Think it will fit?
Attached Thumbnails Cusco Front Power Brace and Intercooler Upgrade-ets-intercooler-2.jpg   Cusco Front Power Brace and Intercooler Upgrade-ets-intercooler-3.jpg  
Old Jan 23, 2008, 11:43 AM
Evolved Member

Only 1 way to find out! Give it a try....

Does the back side of that new bar sit where the back side of the bumper beam would have been? if so it should fit because the ets core fits with the stock bumper support.....
Old Jan 23, 2008, 11:52 AM
Evolved Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Damn dude...does that pass any kind of safety regulation? I hope the insurance company doesn't find out the front bumper is gone....

Otherwise--it looks pretty cool and I would think pretty good weight savings, no?
Old Jan 23, 2008, 11:56 AM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by Vankuen
Damn dude...does that pass any kind of safety regulation? I hope the insurance company doesn't find out the front bumper is gone....

Otherwise--it looks pretty cool and I would think pretty good weight savings, no?
You mean that the front crash beam is gone right? I hope so lol. Because I don't drive without a front bumper on. I have read the posts about removing the crash beam and dealing with insurance companies.
Old Jan 23, 2008, 11:57 AM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by travman
Only 1 way to find out! Give it a try....

Does the back side of that new bar sit where the back side of the bumper beam would have been? if so it should fit because the ets core fits with the stock bumper support.....
I am not sure about that... I made the power brace upgrade back in July of 07.
Old Jan 23, 2008, 12:00 PM
Evolving Member

I think where it might not fit is with the short bars that connect the two lateral bars of the brace, and the corner of the ETS intercooler.
Old Jan 23, 2008, 12:22 PM
Evolving Member

Received 7 Likes on 1 Post
to be honest, that front crash beam isnt all that heavy..... i was pretty suprised when installing my nisie intercooler..... i was planning to buy that power brace, but now decided not to
Old Jan 23, 2008, 12:55 PM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by vipers
to be honest, that front crash beam isnt all that heavy..... i was pretty suprised when installing my nisie intercooler..... i was planning to buy that power brace, but now decided not to
Thanks for your reply...

Anyone out there running an aftermarket intercooler with this brace?
Old Jan 23, 2008, 03:40 PM
Former Sponsor

Received 54 Likes on 43 Posts
We've not fit one of our intercoolers here with the Cusco Power Brace but based on the pictures it appears that the bend location and angle is considerably more aggressive from the bar that runs along the top of the intercooler where it curves to where it meets the mounting locations. I don't think there's any chance of our standard width core fitting.

We'd be happy to build you a custom intercooler with 22" width and standard tanks (would make 1" more clearance on either side) or even 20" to make fitment even more certain so let me know if you're interested

Tom
Old Jan 24, 2008, 07:04 AM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by ETS Tom
We've not fit one of our intercoolers here with the Cusco Power Brace but based on the pictures it appears that the bend location and angle is considerably more aggressive from the bar that runs along the top of the intercooler where it curves to where it meets the mounting locations. I don't think there's any chance of our standard width core fitting.

We'd be happy to build you a custom intercooler with 22" width and standard tanks (would make 1" more clearance on either side) or even 20" to make fitment even more certain so let me know if you're interested

Tom
Tom

Thanks for your reply. I sent you a PM but after looking at the pictures again and rereading your post I see your point. The width of the intercooler is not going to fit due to the bar. Would I loose potential HP by making the width smaller? And could you PM me the cost of a custom intercooler? Over the weekend I could take measurements for clearance so we would be certain which option to go with (22" vs 20"). But wouldnt the 22" definately fit if it is the same width as the stocker?
Old Jan 24, 2008, 08:58 AM
Former Sponsor

The stock intercooler core is 19" x 11.5" x 2.75". Based on that and the fact that our endtanks are of significantly less width at what would be the "point of contact" I do firmly believe that our intercooler with a 22" width will fit great! I'm replying to PMs right now

Tom
Old Feb 18, 2008, 11:39 PM
Evolving Member

Damn.... I already have your guys 3.5" intercooler kit and have no crash beam on currently and wanted to get the cusco power brace... Sucks that it won't fit... Tom, maybe you guys could fix up a little power brace of your own that does fit!? I know you guys could, its just would there be enough demand for people to get em??? I'd be totally down for one myself!
Old Feb 19, 2008, 09:46 AM
Former Sponsor

On a single piece, pricing would be well in excess of what Cusco charges as it would be a one-off custom. If you were able to generate more demand for that part of course pricing could become more reasonable We just built and shipped an intercooler built to fit the Cusco brace but as a result is 20" wide instead of the 24" width of your current intercooler.

Tom
Old Apr 20, 2018, 07:52 PM

I would like to know if the cusco power brace can fit with my 4" ETS intercooler?

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Cusco Front Power Brace and Intercooler Upgrade