Notices
Evo General Discuss any generalized technical Evo related topics that may not fit into the other forums. Please do not post tech and rumor threads here.
Sponsored by: RavSpec - JDM Wheels Central

Evo IX MR semi truck sound

Search this Thread

Old Feb 7, 2008, 03:38 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Evo IX MR semi truck sound

Hi,

A couple of days ago there was a huge snow storm in Wisconsin. When I was driving home, 06 Evo IX MR, the SRS light came on, I could have possibly hit a pothole and didn't notice it at the time. But about 10 minutes later from a red light, I went and accelerated normally, maxed up to 3k rpm, then I heard this loud noise from the engine bay which sounds like a semi truck downshifting to stop quickly. The sound came directly in front of me, sounded like it was new the battery/fuse box. This lasted about half a block until I pulled over. Funny thing is when I stopped to parallel park, the noise stopped but came back then I reveresed to park. I checked the engine from the top and all of the hoses are connected, haven't checked the bottom. Wondering if anyones else has every heard of this or any ideas about this noise.

Also, just that day I picked up the car from the dealer for a blown fuse for the ciragrette lighter and driving back to work, the car was idling .5k rpm and when I turn the windshield wiper just once it kept on going but has stopped since then. So I turned off the engine to turn the windshield wipers off with the headlights on, started the car back up but couldn't start up again until I turned off the headlights. I checked all the fuses and they are all good. Have an appointment tomorrow morning and am looking for any suggestions so when I talk to the dealer I have a better understanding.

Thanks in advance.
Old Feb 7, 2008, 03:57 PM

Do you mean your CEL not your SRS light.
Old Feb 7, 2008, 04:01 PM
Evolved Member

Received 45 Likes on 41 Posts
Water got into the harness for you too Check out any of the links in this thread https://www.evolutionm.net/forums/sh...d.php?t=323902MODS PLEASE

This is in response to this part of your post

"Also, just that day I picked up the car from the dealer for a blown fuse for the ciragrette lighter and driving back to work, the car was idling .5k rpm and when I turn the windshield wiper just once it kept on going but has stopped since then. So I turned off the engine to turn the windshield wipers off with the headlights on, started the car back up but couldn't start up again until I turned off the headlights. I checked all the fuses and they are all good. Have an appointment tomorrow morning and am looking for any suggestions so when I talk to the dealer I have a better understanding."

Last edited by gsrboi80; Feb 7, 2008 at 04:03 PM.
Old Feb 7, 2008, 04:05 PM
Evolved Member

Received 45 Likes on 41 Posts
You'll need to tell the dealer where the problem is if you must bring it there. If not they are going to likely give you the run around. You'll need to seal that grommet and get those connections hard soldered
Old Feb 8, 2008, 08:05 AM

Sorry I didn't responsed last night. Just took it to the dealer and got it back. For the SRS light, initially they said the front impact sensor was disconnected when I put the stock air intake back in; which I already check before and it was connected. They gave me the car back and the light was still on, so they are ordering a new one and will be fixed sometime next week. For the semi truck noise, all the hoses and plugged in and they have no idea.
Old Feb 8, 2008, 08:43 AM

Thanks gsrboi80 for the link. I will check out the wiring and fix the leak later tonight or tomorrow.
Old Feb 8, 2008, 08:44 AM
Evolved Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
well start ur car and listen where exactly is the sound coming from. if u hit a pot hole your exhaust pipe might be damaged but as u said its infront so i doubt that. u may want to check ur downpipe for leaks.
Old Feb 8, 2008, 09:18 AM

All the weird things stopped and I can't reproduce any of the issues to diagnose it. I'm starting to get really worried. Even the dealer can't find anything that would cause these issues, I got the car under warranty still so I took it there to check things out. The ony issue is the front impact sensor. Checked the downpipe, exhaust, underbody and everything is connected and no visible damage to anything.
Old Feb 8, 2008, 09:46 AM

maybe its the under body shield slapping against the bottom of the car when u drive. maybe broke some clips when u bottomed out
Old Feb 11, 2008, 02:45 PM

I didn't bottom out, but I did check the under body shield and it is connected with and not flapping around. The windshield and headlights are due to the dealer washing my car and getting water into the inner fuse box like gsrboi80 mentioned. But I still can't find the source of the loud sound. Took a road trip this weekend and drove over 300 miles without hearing the noise once.
Old Feb 11, 2008, 03:02 PM
Evolved Member

So correct me if I am wrong here guys. Since the tempatures (under the hood) would be effecting the spring located inside the mbc thus effecting the stability of the boost, then wouldnt having an in cockpit mbc adjustment make the boost alot more stable?
Old Feb 11, 2008, 04:59 PM
Evolved Member

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts
is it only happening when its not idling such as over 2000rpm?

Originally Posted by 06MRV8Killer
So correct me if I am wrong here guys. Since the tempatures (under the hood) would be effecting the spring located inside the mbc thus effecting the stability of the boost, then wouldnt having an in cockpit mbc adjustment make the boost alot more stable?
what does this have to do with the thread?
Old Feb 11, 2008, 05:13 PM
Evolved Member

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
Does it sound like a semi-truck idling? I would say that is an exhaust leak somewhere. Mabye your DP.
Old Feb 11, 2008, 05:27 PM
Evolved Member

Nothing something is up with where I posted this...
Old Feb 13, 2008, 08:43 AM

Originally Posted by aryder
is it only happening when its not idling such as over 2000rpm?
No, it was just the first couple I got the car back from the dealer. After that the cars been idling just fine. Kind of confused on why this happened. I'm thinking that because they got water into the engine bay and my fuse box, that it was idling low and my windshield wipers acting up.

Quick Reply: Evo IX MR semi truck sound