Notices
Evo General Discuss any generalized technical Evo related topics that may not fit into the other forums. Please do not post tech and rumor threads here.
Sponsored by: RavSpec - JDM Wheels Central

The "Official" Evo Modding for Dummies

Search this Thread

Old Mar 26, 2008, 01:17 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Cool

Hey guys, this is my first post so please be nice lol

great info there, i keep checking back every couple of days hoping to learn something new

was jw if theres any rules of thumb when it comes to turbos? and what constitutes to the reliability of a turbo? eg. would a green turbo be more relyable than a BR gt35r?

thanks in advance
Old Mar 26, 2008, 02:47 AM
Evolving Member

wow, we should thank this guy from all the great information above. thanks homie!
Old Mar 26, 2008, 09:59 AM
Evolved Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by wog-pride
Hey guys, this is my first post so please be nice lol

great info there, i keep checking back every couple of days hoping to learn something new

was jw if theres any rules of thumb when it comes to turbos? and what constitutes to the reliability of a turbo? eg. would a green turbo be more relyable than a BR gt35r?

thanks in advance
As for the turbo's themselves its the manufacturer's reputation that is on the line both Mitsubishi and Garrett turbos have excellent reliability lasting many hard hard miles. This does not apply to your engine since in stock form a gt35r will easily produce enough boost to snap components after a time. For people looking to keep the stock engine a green is a great choice providing almost near stock spool time and good power but still has the taper problems of smaller turbos. Larger gt35r turbos are better suited to a racing environment where high boost and race gas really make the turbo come into its true potential.

You can't really say there is a rule of thumb for what turbo people should or should not choose. Everyone has different power goals in mind and only a hard look at what you want to accomplish down the road is going to lead you in the right direction for turbo choice. For example if a guy really likes to auto cross and occasionally do some drag racing then a 2.3L stroker kit and a medium frame turbo like a HTA 3076 might be a good compromise for him. If your purely into drag racing then a lower displacement higher revving motor will better suit your needs for larger turbos like the gt42r. Some of you may even be lucky enough to know a guy with some setup similar to how you want to be and could get a sit in the passenger seat ride to test your theory's on how big of a turbo you should go.
Old Mar 28, 2008, 05:25 AM
Evolving Member

Well I'm still looking for a bone stock EVO to start my modding on but I just wanted to shoot a big thanks to chaotichoax for this little guide.
Old Mar 28, 2008, 01:06 PM
EvoM Staff Alumni

Received 17 Likes on 5 Posts
Originally Posted by Inflation
Well I'm still looking for a bone stock EVO to start my modding on but I just wanted to shoot a big thanks to chaotichoax for this little guide.
anytime

I owe this forum for everything that I know

the least I can do is make it easier for future evo owners
Old Mar 31, 2008, 01:38 AM

Hi i've read the thread but i couldnt find the exhaust manifold part anywhere. And i was wondering if you guys can help me out here. I have a pretty much stock car, except the HKS-hipower exhaust and K&N air intake. I'm only going to spend $800-1300 more on my car and i'm done moding it. Should i get the Vishnu's xflash or Tomei's Exhaust manifold+dwn pipe? If both of those were the same price, which 1 should i get?
some of ur expert advice plzz...thank you thank you... ^^
Old Mar 31, 2008, 09:10 AM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by Evil94
Hi i've read the thread but i couldnt find the exhaust manifold part anywhere. And i was wondering if you guys can help me out here. I have a pretty much stock car, except the HKS-hipower exhaust and K&N air intake. I'm only going to spend $800-1300 more on my car and i'm done moding it. Should i get the Vishnu's xflash or Tomei's Exhaust manifold+dwn pipe? If both of those were the same price, which 1 should i get?
some of ur expert advice plzz...thank you thank you... ^^
Two bit of advice:

According to tests the ported manifold for the stock turbo performed better than all but the most expensive exhaust manifolds, IE fullrace. So if you want to squeak out another 10hp then the ported manifold is surely the most practical way to go. Also note that the cheapy manifolds do have a tendency to crack.

If you plan on changing the turbo out in the future for anything other than a green your going to have to buy a manifold anyways so hold out.
Old Mar 31, 2008, 07:17 PM

thx for the advice =)
Old Apr 1, 2008, 01:50 PM

nice thread
Old Apr 2, 2008, 08:57 AM
Evolving Member

wow, this was very helpful. How much HP to the wheels can you really max out from a stock IX evo with basic bolt ons and reflash ?
Old Apr 2, 2008, 11:14 PM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by N33d4sp33d
wow, this was very helpful. How much HP to the wheels can you really max out from a stock IX evo with basic bolt ons and reflash ?
Well saying you did pretty much every power mod cams, exhaust, meth, tune, intake, ported manifold, etc. Then I'd say a number thats not entirely unreasonable may be around the 370whp mark. Since you have an Evo 9 your ability to hit this number is greatly increased over an Evo 8 since the Evo 8 has no Mivec and a smaller turbo.

Every Evo is different though some are freak monsters with perfect compression and everything and some have little flaws in them that hinder the peak performance. Only way your going to find out is by trying
Old Apr 3, 2008, 09:29 PM

wow! well I have a lot of work to do on my Evo!
Old Apr 6, 2008, 02:04 AM
Evolved Member

Great thread very useful information.
Old Apr 6, 2008, 06:28 PM

great info. ill definitely be lookin here when i get my evo
Old Apr 9, 2008, 07:10 PM

This helps a lot for a noob like me.

Quick Reply: The "Official" Evo Modding for Dummies