Notices
Evo General Discuss any generalized technical Evo related topics that may not fit into the other forums. Please do not post tech and rumor threads here.
Sponsored by: RavSpec - JDM Wheels Central

Hypothetical question about warranty...

Search this Thread

Old Apr 5, 2008, 08:18 PM
Evolving Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Hypothetical question about warranty...

Lets imagine that something breaks in your engine. You're still covered under the factory power train warranty. However, you've always done the maintenance yourself. This could include changing oil, plugs, filters, etc. Would it now become the responsibility of the owner to prove that engine maintenance was done correctly, and in a timely fashion; i.e. oil changes every 3k-5k?

I don't have anything wrong with my car (knock on wood), but read a thread earlier where someone had to show all maintenance receipts in order to get warranty service performed on their motor. If that's the case, what happens to all the DIY'ers who don't happen to keep a log/receipt of every time they change their own oil?
Old Apr 5, 2008, 08:25 PM
Admin Alumni

I kept a log and the receipts for every oil change, etc. Luckily, I never had to take my Evo in for service; I sent them all to the guy who bought mine. I hope he gave them to whomever he then sold the car to.
Old Apr 5, 2008, 08:29 PM
Evolving Member

Thanks for the reply. I suppose I should start noting down the dates of my oil changes / maintenance tasks just to be on the safe side. No luck on receipts now though.
Old Apr 5, 2008, 08:37 PM
Evolved Member

Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts
The important thing to remember is never using (or admitting to using) non-factory fluids. Also, if & when you give them mileage that you performed the service at, always go slightly earlier than what the book recommends.

They will be so cruel as to refused service if you went 5 miles over or used Castrol instead of Mobile 1
Old Apr 5, 2008, 08:55 PM
Evolving Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Originally Posted by ShamelessCookie
The important thing to remember is never using (or admitting to using) non-factory fluids. Also, if & when you give them mileage that you performed the service at, always go slightly earlier than what the book recommends.

They will be so cruel as to refused service if you went 5 miles over or used Castrol instead of Mobile 1
Very true, I had my warranty "denied" by Chevrolet simply for using non-factory recommended fluids...In my case Royal Purple. I had pristine maintenance records however the fact that I did not use a GM4718M certified oil in my old Cobalt SS/SC.

Luckily in my case I had both RP on my side as well as the magnusson moss act, so eventually the dealer had to suck up their pride and perform the work necessary under warranty.