Notices
Evo General Discuss any generalized technical Evo related topics that may not fit into the other forums. Please do not post tech and rumor threads here.
Sponsored by: RavSpec - JDM Wheels Central

Water Leak = ALL Wiring harnesses being replaced under warrenty

Search this Thread

Old Apr 30, 2008, 01:32 PM
Evolved Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Water Leak = ALL Wiring harnesses being replaced under warrenty

OK here goes:

My SRS light came on for no reason.

Got checked at dealer, they said seatbelt was bad.

Replaced seatbelt under warrenty cost them about $1500

Few weeks later light came on again. Got it check same problem. Got it cleared.

Few more weeks later horn started beaping and would not go off. Took out fuse, replaced with new one, still beeped. Went to dealer they put another fuse in and it stopped.

Few more weeks later (about 2 months so far) SRS light back on. Now the SRS computer was bad.

They replaced that under warrenty. Cost them about $2000.

SRS light stayed off for 1 week. Till it rained........

Fast foward to Monday April 28th, it rains REALLY bad. My SRS light comes back on.

Here is where it gets good

Tuesday i go to dealer, they look at the kickpannel on the driverside and all the wiring harnesses are corroded out VERY BAD. Some will not even unplug they are rusted in there. They call the water doctor guy to come out on Wednesday.

Wednesday (today):

Long story short the water doctor finds the leak in the wiring harness behind the front driver side fender wall. Water goes through there travels down the harness and into the connectors. All the connectors that control my accessories are ****ed. This is making my horn, blinker, srs light, ect all go off for no reason.

There was another evo 8 at the dealer today and they tested that one. And guess what same problem! His WILL NOT be covered cuz he is way out of warrenty and his wires are way worse then mine.

THIS HAS BEEN A PROBLEM WITH MANY OTHER PEOPLE ON THIS FORUM. MAKE SURE YOU CHECK YOUR CONNECTORS AND THE HARNESS TO MAKE SURE IT IS SEALED. YOU CAN SEARCH ON HERE AND FIND OTHER THREADS ON HOW TO FIX IT

Luckally the dealer is reaplcing EVERY wiring harness in my car for free. Its costing them $4000 ish. I went through hell past few days and i dont wana type whole story but this is not good . I DO NOT WANT THEM to do this. They have to take every single thing out of my interior, all my aftermarket gauges, TT, headunit, ect will have to be re-wired. This is a nightmare. Dont let it happen to you . Let me know if you have any questions.

We need to get this to be a sticky and to do what we can about making this a recal. My service manager is on the presidents council and he is already taking these steps.

My first thread:

https://www.evolutionm.net/forums/sh...ht=READ+safety

Last edited by Silver06evo9mr; Apr 30, 2008 at 01:42 PM.
Old Apr 30, 2008, 01:36 PM
Evolving Member

At least it's getting fixed though. I'd say try to take out everything you wired up so that you can just do it again after they fix it.
Old Apr 30, 2008, 02:03 PM
Evolved Member

up
Old Apr 30, 2008, 03:00 PM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by Silver06evo9mr
up
Old Apr 30, 2008, 03:08 PM
Evolving Member

This should be a safety recall or something.

is it possible for you to take a picture of where the water leaks in?
Old Apr 30, 2008, 03:13 PM
Evolved Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
You should be happy they didn't tell you that you made the problem by wiring the gauges and stuff It's mitsu we're talking about here.
Old Apr 30, 2008, 03:25 PM
Evolving Member

found the thread. pics on page 3

https://www.evolutionm.net/forums/sh...=313115&page=3
Old Apr 30, 2008, 03:26 PM
Evolving Member

im going to take my fender off tonight and find this grommet and seal it up with spray on rubber and some silicon. This is NOT going to happen to me.
Old Apr 30, 2008, 04:58 PM
Evolving Member

HOLY GOD, i figured i would go check on my grommet...

IT WAS POPPED OUT INTO THE FENDER. Leaving a 2-3 inch gaping hole into my cabin! SH*T i dont think my carpet was wet or anything, thanks for posting this!
Old Apr 30, 2008, 05:09 PM
PSA

im noticing this problem in many evos around here, water gets into the wiring harness underneath the driverside fender and corrodes the plugs... glad to know its being fixed.
Old Apr 30, 2008, 05:21 PM
Evolving Member

Wow, sorry you are going through this. Thank you for posting about this I am gonna have to check mine now. Luckily I didn't have the evo out in that rain we just got, but I already had to shore up the hole where the MR gauges we run in on the passenger side. Once again, my condolences, I don't know if I could take having the dealership taking my whole interior out and putting it back in.
Old May 1, 2008, 06:29 AM
Evolved Member

yea plese come back and bump this thread up. we need everyone to know about this. this is a big problem with ALOT of evos.

BUMP for some good info. CHECK YOUR GROMMETS
Old May 1, 2008, 06:30 AM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by Toxin
You should be happy they didn't tell you that you made the problem by wiring the gauges and stuff It's mitsu we're talking about here.
they tried to, thats why they called the water guy out. but when he found the leak in the wiring harnesses they couldnt deny it becuase the water was comming in so bad
Old May 1, 2008, 07:39 AM
Evolved Member

i dont have any electrical issues but i just checked mine to make sure they are in good condition. grommet looks to be in good condition, all plugs in good condition and zero sign of water. is this problem with a specific year of evo?

Last edited by evo150; May 1, 2008 at 08:20 AM.
Old May 1, 2008, 07:52 AM
Evolved Member

Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts
Im having a crazy electrical problem where all my ACD lights stay lit then go back to Tarmac being lit and the snow one has a slight glow. My SRS light also comes on. Also worth mentioning that when I press the brake the snow light goes completly out.

Only happens when it rains but when I notice everything going crazy when I brake my rpms raise to 2800 until I let off the brake. I checked my terminals behind the driver side kick panel and they are fine no corrosion anywhere suggesting that the problem in the electroical system is somewhere else. Any ideas?

Last edited by damstr; May 1, 2008 at 07:55 AM.

Quick Reply: Water Leak = ALL Wiring harnesses being replaced under warrenty