Notices
Evo General Discuss any generalized technical Evo related topics that may not fit into the other forums. Please do not post tech and rumor threads here.
Sponsored by: RavSpec - JDM Wheels Central

sti vs evo rally

Search this Thread

Old Mar 26, 2009, 09:29 AM
Evolved Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
sti vs evo rally

hey guys whenever you see like raly cars on tv shows or something why are most professional rally cars STI's... like theblack and gree monster STI and the DC rally car is an STI... so why is that, are they better then the evo in that or what?? anybody know this, just been wondering that a lot lately
Old Mar 26, 2009, 09:31 AM
Evolved Member

Mitsu doesn't have the money to enter or sponsor rally teams? Could be part of it.
Old Mar 26, 2009, 09:42 AM
Account Disabled

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
i dont think the STI is better than the evo in any manner, how manny STI's are there in the streets making the power the evo is, dollar to dollar the evo will make more power than the sti.

i think mitsu did not want to get involved like subi did
Old Mar 26, 2009, 09:44 AM
Evolving Member

AFAIK the Evo has been out of professional Rallying since the Evo 6.5

I could be wrong though.
Old Mar 26, 2009, 09:46 AM
Evolving Member

Doesn't matter how many Evos are making big power on the streets when US Rally-America Open class rally cars are breathing through 34mm restrictors and PWRC cars are breathing through 32mm restrictors.
Old Mar 26, 2009, 09:53 AM
Evolved Member

Received 75 Likes on 68 Posts
Originally Posted by apagan01
i dont think the STI is better than the evo in any manner, how manny STI's are there in the streets making the power the evo is, dollar to dollar the evo will make more power than the sti.

i think mitsu did not want to get involved like subi did
Actually that's not true, ask AMS about that. Anyways, I think it's because Subaru has been around longer (in the US) and is a major sponsor of a lot of rallies, both in the US and Canada. I laughed a bit when I saw Evos with Subaru decals on them.
Old Mar 26, 2009, 09:55 AM
Account Disabled

Originally Posted by WheelGap
Doesn't matter how many Evos are making big power on the streets when US Rally-America Open class rally cars are breathing through 34mm restrictors and PWRC cars are breathing through 32mm restrictors.
it does matter, when you have hundreds of evos coming out of shops like AMS, AWDmotorsports, BR, CBRD, and many more, it comes to show the potential of the car.

however why is not the evo in a world class rally here in the states well that i dont know, however we all know the evo does compete in the Xgames, the 4G63 was born by rally racers in Japan, starting with the starion which used a 4G engine.

when i can make 100WHP with a TBE, custome tune, drop in intake for the same money on the STi then i might think about buying it and racing it.
Old Mar 26, 2009, 10:01 AM
Evolved Member

it does matter, when you have hundreds of evos coming out of shops like AMS, AWDmotorsports, BR, CBRD, and many more, it comes to show the potential of the car.

however why is not the evo in a world class rally here in the states well that i dont know, however we all know the evo does compete in the Xgames, the 4G63 was born by rally racers in Japan, starting with the starion which used a 4G engine.

when i can make 100WHP with a TBE, custome tune, drop in intake for the same money on the STi then i might think about buying it and racing it.
You can, look here
https://www.evolutionm.net/forums/au...uge-gains.html
Notice how even AMS, a huge tuner in the Evo community, says that the STI made more power for less than the Evo.
Old Mar 26, 2009, 10:02 AM
Evolving Member

I guess Mitsu doesn't like sponsoring and entering Rally's in the North America with the EVO. Could their be a reason? Financially, they just can't support it anymore?
Old Mar 26, 2009, 10:05 AM
Evolved Member

What's odd is there are plenty of Evos raced, they're just not factory-sponsored.
Old Mar 26, 2009, 10:07 AM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by ambystom01
You can, look here
https://www.evolutionm.net/forums/au...uge-gains.html
Notice how even AMS, a huge tuner in the Evo community, says that the STI made more power for less than the Evo.

I think agagan01 said Intake, Exhaust and a Custom Tune.

Not a Stage 2 Package.
Old Mar 26, 2009, 10:08 AM
Evolved Member

Read the link, if a stage 2 package yields that kind of power, I doubt less mods would yield more, you need to compare apples to apples. Oh and the STI has a TBE, intake and a tune (with a MBC like a lot of Evos have).
Old Mar 26, 2009, 10:10 AM
Account Disabled

Actually that's not true, ask AMS about that. Anyways, I think it's because Subaru has been around longer (in the US) and is a major sponsor of a lot of rallies, both in the US and Canada. I laughed a bit when I saw Evos with Subaru decals on them.
any builder knows it takes a lot more to get the STi even close to where the evo can get, why very simple BOXER engines what subaru sti uses is a pain in the neck to work on, special balancing is required, i think is an open deck block, on the other hand evo 4 banger standard style engine is very simple to work on
look at what AL is going thrue with his build he cant barely find anyone to provide parts for his build, i am sure there is someone out there, however not that many and prolly not as good.

STI is super nice with TQ power because of the type of engine they from nature make good TQ, but whats required for them to make power is to much to justify.

again why is there hundreds of evos making power and not sti's,,, i am not saying there non sti's making good power i am saying the ratio of Evo:sti

i spent an entire year doing my homework of what i would get and i cam down to sti after many many conersations with people like David, TTP, Jestr ect ect.

anyways i think Subi has more money than mitsu to do such things,,, maybe
Old Mar 26, 2009, 10:16 AM
Evolved Member

any builder knows it takes a lot more to get the STi even close to where the evo can get, why very simple BOXER engines what subaru sti uses is a pain in the neck to work on, special balancing is required, i think is an open deck block, on the other hand evo 4 banger standard style engine is very simple to work on
look at what AL is going thrue with his build he cant barely find anyone to provide parts for his build, i am sure there is someone out there, however not that many and prolly not as good.

STI is super nice with TQ power because of the type of engine they from nature make good TQ, but whats required for them to make power is to much to justify.

again why is there hundreds of evos making power and not sti's,,, i am not saying there non sti's making good power i am saying the ratio of Evo:sti

i spent an entire year doing my homework of what i would get and i cam down to sti after many many conersations with people like David, TTP, Jestr ect ect.

anyways i think Subi has more money than mitsu to do such things,,, maybe
Again, AMS, a top Evo tuner disagrees with you. Buschur, another top Evo tuner, disagrees with you. What more do you want, Mitsubishi itself saying the STI has good potential?
The 4G63 has been around for more than a decade, of course there are going to be tuners working on it and more high HP cars floating around. The same can be said of the Supra, the Skyline, the AE86, etc., all are relatively old cars and have a huge gathering. The EJ257 didn't come around until the ST made the jump to NA so it hasn't had time to acquire the following yet. However, as I have shown you (or rather as AMS has shown you), this idea that it doesn't respond well to mods or that it's ridiculously expensive to mod is ludicrous.
Old Mar 26, 2009, 10:20 AM
Account Disabled

Again, AMS, a top Evo tuner disagrees with you. Buschur, another top Evo tuner, disagrees with you. What more do you want, Mitsubishi itself saying the STI has good potential?
The 4G63 has been around for more than a decade, of course there are going to be tuners working on it and more high HP cars floating around. The same can be said of the Supra, the Skyline, the AE86, etc., all are relatively old cars and have a huge gathering. The EJ257 didn't come around until the ST made the jump to NA so it hasn't had time to acquire the following yet. However, as I have shown you (or rather as AMS has shown you), this idea that it doesn't respond well to mods or that it's ridiculously expensive to mod is ludicrous.

ok

Quick Reply: sti vs evo rally