Notices
Evo General Discuss any generalized technical Evo related topics that may not fit into the other forums. Please do not post tech and rumor threads here.
Sponsored by: RavSpec - JDM Wheels Central

so my evo flooded

Search this Thread

Old Jun 22, 2009, 10:03 AM
Evolving Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by daved
well, i pulled the seats and the carpet. i hung the carpet up over the weekend with the dehumidifier underneath it. worked great. i steam cleaned the carpet yesterday and it's hanging back up now.

i'm not sure if it was clear in the first post or not. the car wasn't flooded by a river or lake or something. the water only went about 1/3 of the way up the door. no electronics were ruined or anything. it was mainly the carpets and the passenger side seats.

i'll let everything sit for the next couple of days and reinstall later this week or this weekend.

i think the problem has been averted. i am going to take it to the dealership and have them check out everything in a week or so.

Not to seem like an ***, but you realize where the connections are in the kick panels right? If the bottom of the passenger seat got wet, im willing to bet it got into/behind the kick panel. Pull that panel off and look for yourself. You have to pop off the step molding, then two philips head screws hold the kick panel in place.. Theres 4 or 5 harnesses there with everything from radio/speakers to windshield wipers / door lock and window control wiring.. If thats wet and corrodes your in trouble.. Search on here for a known problem with the water seaping through the drivers side firewall and corroding those connections on the drivers side. Just read through some of the problems that a little water can cause.. One guys horn wouldnt shut off, anothers wipers would just work by themselfs, and anothers car would sputter anything over 500rpm.. Theres actually a Mitsu tech that took pictures of him splicing all the wires together with heat shrink tubing to resolve the problem...

Just trying to give you a heads up.. Either way man, good luck with everything..
Old Jun 22, 2009, 11:17 AM
Evolving Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by daved
well, i pulled the seats and the carpet. i hung the carpet up over the weekend with the dehumidifier underneath it. worked great. i steam cleaned the carpet yesterday and it's hanging back up now.

i'm not sure if it was clear in the first post or not. the car wasn't flooded by a river or lake or something. the water only went about 1/3 of the way up the door. no electronics were ruined or anything. it was mainly the carpets and the passenger side seats.

i'll let everything sit for the next couple of days and reinstall later this week or this weekend.

i think the problem has been averted. i am going to take it to the dealership and have them check out everything in a week or so.

your an idiot... why would you even touch it... depending how high the water level went up to in the car.. would determine whether its done or not
might have a lil trouble making the claim now if you already clean up the car.. lmao
Old Jun 22, 2009, 11:32 AM

i feel ya man...you should totally gut this car and turn it into a straight track car...just by removing the seats, carpeting, and dash i heard of people stripping upwards of 200 lbs...the wing ways a lot too
Old Jun 22, 2009, 11:35 AM
Former Sponsor

Most insurance companies classify a flood car as a total loss if the water gets as high as the axle which in your case it looks like it's gone a bit higher. Make sure you change your tranny, transfer case, rear dif and engine oils asap as well.
Old Jun 22, 2009, 11:39 AM
Evolved Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
dam storm drains and rain.. sry dude
Old Jun 22, 2009, 12:12 PM

Man that sucks dude. Let us know what the insurance company says. I am curious to hear what they do for you...
Old Jun 23, 2009, 06:00 AM

I agree with what everyone said... you shouldnt have touched it and let insurance see it first
Old Jun 23, 2009, 06:17 AM
Evolving Member

Man, I realise you love your EVO but...........the first day [19th] when it got flooded, you asked for help. I see that at least 3 persons recommended you call your insurance, seems you didn't.

At this point you better wish for some luck, you're gonna need it. From your pictures, looks like the water was high enough to cause you problems down the road. I don't think the insurance will help now after you have gone so far cleaning up.

You might be kicking yourself later on for that decision.

Live and you learn.

Good luck to you.
Old Jun 23, 2009, 09:25 AM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by d'shark
Man, I realise you love your EVO but...........the first day [19th] when it got flooded, you asked for help. I see that at least 3 persons recommended you call your insurance, seems you didn't.

At this point you better wish for some luck, you're gonna need it. From your pictures, looks like the water was high enough to cause you problems down the road. I don't think the insurance will help now after you have gone so far cleaning up.

You might be kicking yourself later on for that decision.

Live and you learn.

Good luck to you.

+1 now if you have problems.. your not gonna win a claim no way...
Old Jun 23, 2009, 09:31 AM
Evolved Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
I'd have had the insurance company contact the municipal utilities and request they pay.

The car could hae a ton of hidden problems just waiting to bite you when you least expect it. Be prepared for a lot of issues in the future.

Sorry.
Old Jun 23, 2009, 09:37 AM
Evolved Member

Do contact the insurance company. I wouldn't have drained out any water till they looked at it. But, you did take pictures which is good. There should be little rubber things that clog holes in the bottom. If mine ever flooded, I would just poke them out, let it drain that way and just push as much on the inside toward it. Carpet can be found on ebay for cheap. I don't know what to suggest about the wiring and whatnot.
Old Jun 23, 2009, 02:13 PM
Evolving Member

I agree with tvieira24. Call up the insurance first and go from there. You might find out that you don't have to do any of that work. Good luck.
Old Jun 23, 2009, 03:28 PM
Evolving Member

Oh man...

Good luck with your next step !
Old Jun 23, 2009, 03:53 PM
Evolved Member

Just get a garden hose and fill her back up and call the insurance company.

If not, I hope you like doing electrical work.
Old Jun 23, 2009, 03:56 PM

that totally sucks...