Notices
Evo General Discuss any generalized technical Evo related topics that may not fit into the other forums. Please do not post tech and rumor threads here.
Sponsored by: RavSpec - JDM Wheels Central

Coolant Gauge? Electrical...

Old Jun 4, 2013, 09:10 AM
Evolved Member

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts
Coolant Gauge? Electrical...

Lads...

As you may recall, I recently torched my wiring harness because it grounded out on my cam angle sensor heat shield.

The bad wiring was pulled from the harness, and replaced. Car fired up, and seemed to be fine.

Go to test drive, and boom... coolant temps roll up to about 75%, and roll back down. I thought I smelled electrical, but I drove back to the garage (maybe 7-10 mins) (because I'm a moron) and the car seemed just fine when I got there.

No melting wires, no smells, no anything.

Now... I had the radiator out about 150 miles ago to install my manifold.

I'm going to burp it again just to be sure, though it didn't seem related to acceleration at all.

My question...
1. The coolant temp sensor. This is how I noticed the wiring short originally. My gauge spiked. Does anyone happen to know the resistance of this? Or a way to test the sensor?

2. Does anyone happen to know how it works? Like... would it make sense that I would see that spike in temps only intermittently? Maybe with the fan coming on?

I'm so close guys. SO CLOSE!
Old Jun 4, 2013, 10:05 AM
Evolved Member

Received 144 Likes on 128 Posts
Log your temps. If they don't agree its a gage problem.
Old Jun 4, 2013, 10:09 AM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by barneyb
Log your temps. If they don't agree its a gage problem.
Barney... get ready to hose me.

I somehow still don't have a tactrix cable, or evoscan. Imma see if I can borrow one up though.

When you say "gauge problem" you mean the sensor correct? I'm also going to check the resistance based on temp. I found the spec in the service manual just now.
Old Jun 4, 2013, 10:19 AM
Evolved Member

Received 144 Likes on 128 Posts
Sensor or wiring. I've also read this problem can occur if the manifold to firewall ground is disconnected.
Old Jun 4, 2013, 11:15 AM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by barneyb
Sensor or wiring. I've also read this problem can occur if the manifold to firewall ground is disconnected.
Well, all the wiring was just replaced via splice and dice. It was damaged all the way back to the fuse-able links.

I read about that ground too. That's what led me to inquire about it's power supply. Because the temps are going up and down. Which doesn't make any sense... if there were a short, I would think it would go up, and just peg out on hot.

All I can think is that when the temp hits temp x, it triggers the fan. Once the fan comes on, the ground would run to that? Which would then cause the "temp" to go back to normal?

Honestly... I'm really just hoping that somehow I'm a dumbass, and there's an air pocket. Or that the sensor got fried when the wiring torched.
Old Jun 4, 2013, 01:16 PM
Evolved Member

Ground from intake manifold to firewall. This is amazing. Car appears to be fixed.

I love you all.
Old Aug 23, 2015, 01:03 AM
Evolving Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by ProPilot04
Well, all the wiring was just replaced via splice and dice. It was damaged all the way back to the fuse-able links.

getting closer to my answer? I did the reground kit with 8ga wire on all the earth points. I was missing the ground to the intake manifold back to the firewall. my question is for the wire that melted all the way to which fuseable links? I am looking to replace mine. thanks!!