Notices
Evo General Discuss any generalized technical Evo related topics that may not fit into the other forums. Please do not post tech and rumor threads here.
Sponsored by: RavSpec - JDM Wheels Central

Vehicle Re-Acquired By Manufacturer is that a Lemon Law vehicle?

Search this Thread

Old Apr 5, 2010, 10:18 AM
Evolving Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Vehicle Re-Acquired By Manufacturer is that a Lemon Law vehicle?

Hey guys I bought an EVO VIII, but only ran the AutoCheck, which came up as clean. However I decided to run a CarFax the other day and was astonished to find that at 13,000 miles the vehicle was reacquired my Mitsubishi: Vehicle reacquired by the manufacturer pursuant to applicable state consumer warranty laws or to promote customer satisfaction.

Reason provided by manufacture: Check Engine Light

Is my car a lemoned car?

"Reacquired Vehicle" means any new motor vehicle reacquired by a manufacturer pursuant to an order of any court of competent jurisdiction, through any dispute settlement procedure created by a manufacturer as a result of a state's enactment of a "lemon law" which authorizes the same, or through any other formal dispute resolution procedure".
This is interesting I bought a TitleGuard for my vehicle through AutoCheck and I'm going to file a claim for diminished value.

Can anyone tell me how I can find out the value of a lemon lawed car? I'm at Nada, but they give me a rough trade in as $11,500

Last edited by mr.almeida; Apr 5, 2010 at 10:23 AM.
Old Apr 5, 2010, 10:25 AM
Evolved Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Depends on what the real problem was. If the CEL is coming on and there is no issues, I see no problems. I assume the light isn't coming on anymore? If so, it was either fixed or code was disabled (certainly hope not).
Old Apr 5, 2010, 10:29 AM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by metalsaber
Depends on what the real problem was. If the CEL is coming on and there is no issues, I see no problems. I assume the light isn't coming on anymore? If so, it was either fixed or code was disabled (certainly hope not).
I see what you're saying, but my point is that if I were to sell this car the value wouldn't be right because of the "reacquired by manufacturer" attached to it. I bought the car as if it never had any problems.

If I knew it had been lemoned I wouldn't of paid the amount that I paid for it, I would have negotiated the price more.

CarFax - Showed me that it was lemoned.
AutoCheck - Missed that it was lemoned.
Old Apr 5, 2010, 10:37 AM
Evolved Member

^^

I agree. Did you purchase through a dealership? If so, you "might" recourse. I'm sure they will plead ignorant and then it comes back to the "Buyer Beware" clause.
Old Apr 5, 2010, 10:41 AM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by metalsaber
^^

I agree. Did you purchase through a dealership? If so, you "might" recourse. I'm sure they will plead ignorant and then it comes back to the "Buyer Beware" clause.
Yea I purchased it through a dealership, but it's not them I'm going at. I bought a insurance policy for my title, through AutoCheck, it covers up to $50,000 in lost funds. I'll see how that goes. I'm just getting all my paperwork together to make a claim. Wish me luck!
Old Apr 5, 2010, 10:53 AM
EvoM Community Team

You may have recourse with the dealership as well. It depends on your state's laws and whether or not the dealership was legally required to state the condition of the title.

If state laws don't require it, then hopefully the insurance policy on the title (what the heck is that by the way?) will cover you.

If neither of them do, I guess lesson learned for everyone else here. Get a Carfax on ANY used car purchase. And, you should always ask the seller to pay for the Carfax...if the car is clean and they want to sell, they'll gladly pay the $35. If they won't, you should probably walk away because they are likely hiding something.

Good luck getting this resolved.
Old Apr 5, 2010, 11:02 AM
Evolving Member

Good news I just called up Mitsubishi and received some ammunition. We have takeoff.
Old Apr 5, 2010, 11:12 AM
Evolved Member

Sounds good. Hope it turns out well.
Old Apr 5, 2010, 12:38 PM
Former Sponsor

Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts
Do you happen to have the title?

I know here in California, a Lemon law car will have "lemon law buy back" on the title.
Old Apr 5, 2010, 01:18 PM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by atombomb33
You may have recourse with the dealership as well. It depends on your state's laws and whether or not the dealership was legally required to state the condition of the title.

If state laws don't require it, then hopefully the insurance policy on the title (what the heck is that by the way?) will cover you.

If neither of them do, I guess lesson learned for everyone else here. Get a Carfax on ANY used car purchase. And, you should always ask the seller to pay for the Carfax...if the car is clean and they want to sell, they'll gladly pay the $35. If they won't, you should probably walk away because they are likely hiding something.

Good luck getting this resolved.
I went with AutoCheck because of the TitleGuard service.
http://www.autocheck.com/consumers/p...d/education.do

Originally Posted by Boosted Tuning
Do you happen to have the title?

I know here in California, a Lemon law car will have "lemon law buy back" on the title.
I financed the vehicle so I don't hold the title, but I called Mitsubishi and they confirmed what was on the CarFax.

Last edited by mr.almeida; Apr 5, 2010 at 01:26 PM.
Old Apr 5, 2010, 01:38 PM
Evolved Member

check the paper work where you purchased the car. Some times dealers get caught up in the same situation, Autocheck and Carfax report differently. And some states dont mark the titles like they should.

If Autocheck says it qualified for the buyback, print off a copy of it and work on getting them to buy it from you, if you want to get rid of the car
Old Apr 5, 2010, 01:43 PM
Former Sponsor

Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts
Originally Posted by mr.almeida

I financed the vehicle so I don't hold the title, but I called Mitsubishi and they confirmed what was on the CarFax.
Okay.

Good luck
Old Apr 5, 2010, 02:30 PM
EvoM Community Team

Originally Posted by mr.almeida
I guess you learn something new every day

Good luck with this. Hopefully you get everything resolved.
Old Apr 5, 2010, 02:49 PM
Evolved Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
A lemon-law buyback is not a branded title, HOWEVER, depending on the state you purchased it in, they have to tell you by law that it was reacquired by Mitsu. My evo was a lemon-law buyback. The reason for it being so was because the previous owner complained of a "whine in first gear at low speeds." The previous owner took the car to the dealership 3 times before telling the dealership they felt the car was unsafe, and wanted them to buy it back or they'd sue. Mitsu bought it back, and I purchased it later. It should have no effect on the value of your vehicle, its warranty (if any), nor is it an indication that anything is wrong with the car. Mitsu does perform a complete inspection on all buybacks.

I only know this because a good friend of mine was a service writer at a mitsu dealership and pulled the whole history on the car. I also verified that it wasn't a branded title by calling a different mitsu dealership, fed them the VIN and asked them if they'd refuse warranty work for any warranty-able items on the car due to its lemon-law buy-back status, and was told no, but both the selling dealership and a completely different mitsu dealership. I hope this helps.

Last edited by boozeup&riot; Apr 5, 2010 at 02:51 PM.
Old Apr 5, 2010, 06:31 PM

I would contact the dealership ASAP. Cover your bases!!!

Quick Reply: Vehicle Re-Acquired By Manufacturer is that a Lemon Law vehicle?