Notices
Evo General Discuss any generalized technical Evo related topics that may not fit into the other forums. Please do not post tech and rumor threads here.
Sponsored by: RavSpec - JDM Wheels Central

Power Folding Mirrors

Search this Thread

Old Jan 6, 2011, 02:52 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by PaperClip
Man Mitsu really left the US out on all the cool little things
I hear you on that
it would be great if all evo especially MR would have folding mirrors
Old Mar 2, 2011, 04:43 PM

I know that these are all Mitsu parts... but does anyone have the actual part numbers so we can order these from Mistu Japan?

Thanks.....
Old May 23, 2013, 08:21 AM
Evolved Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Hello All,
Wanted to revive this as I just received two sets of folding mirrors in the mail from Japan. I wanted to know if anyone else had any luck getting these wired up minus the OP as he isn't responding to PM's.

So far I have the followings:
2x - pairs of folding mirrors in white
1x - switch panel with folding mirror button

I am missing the ETACS so I'm wondering if there's a way to make it all work with just the switch, an aftermarket relay and power from the battery.

Any assistance would be much appreciated.
Thanks!

Also forgot to add:
ETACs for a Cedia - MR587643
Mirrors (can be found on japanpart's website I'll get it when I get a chance)
Mirror Control Switch (part number can also be found on japanparts)

Last edited by bruce988jl; May 23, 2013 at 08:30 AM.
Old Nov 11, 2015, 10:21 PM

Do you need to use a jdm fob or usdm ok to work with these?
Old Nov 11, 2015, 10:24 PM

Old Sep 13, 2018, 03:31 PM
EvoM Guru

Received 345 Likes on 262 Posts
I'm going to work on getting these running without ETACS. If I can find the motor leads through a schematic and build an H bridge with a timer relay, it shouldn't be a problem.
Old Sep 14, 2018, 04:02 PM
EvoM Guru

Here is the schematic for the evo 7 door mirrors without the auto fold feature. The evo 7 with that feature have 5 pins and our mirrors have 3 on the harness. Those extra two must be for the fold function which can be hooked up to an H bridge. Anyone know where i can find JDM wiring diagrams? The one on ecuflash's wiki page seems to be without the folding function.

Old Sep 17, 2018, 08:28 AM
Evolved Member

Received 99 Likes on 79 Posts
http://www.evoscan.com/vehicle-manuals
Old Sep 17, 2018, 10:07 AM
EvoM Guru

Originally Posted by llDemonll

Thanks Demon! I took a look and ended up finding the same wiring diagram. Not sure if i'm just looking in the wrong place or if there are different versions of this manual.
Old Sep 17, 2018, 03:53 PM
Evolved Member

Received 99 Likes on 79 Posts
I believe the Evo 8 MR manual is JDM. If not, use the Evo 7 manual

Look at the HVAC section, JDM manuals will have auto and manual climate controls where-as the USDM will only have manual. Page 3-96 Is the auto section on the JDM manuals. A statistic that no one needs to know...lol
Old Sep 19, 2018, 03:45 PM
EvoM Guru

Ok, here is my makeshift ETACS replacement circuit diagram for the power folding mirrors. All parts can be purchased on amazon for under $60.00 total. Use at your own risk as I am not responsible for burning down your car. This can be implemented with even fewer parts, be much smaller, and be much cheaper if you can program microcontrollers. I'm not comfortable coding, so I like to keep things as analog as possible. Note that the timer controlled relay boards have a microcontroller built in, but preprogrammed with code you can configure through button presses. Here is where you set how long it takes for the mirrors to open and close.

I will assemble this and post results here, but I think it should work for what I am trying to accomplish. You can wire the trigger system to an alarm or switch.

The control logic is as follows:

System is triggered by alarm door lock/unlock signal. The fail safe relays are normally closed, but are configured such that a short circuit cannot take place. You cannot activate forward and reverse polarity at the same time across the mirror motor leads because the fail safe relays will cut power to the circuit driving the direction you pressed second, until the operation of the direction you pressed first is completed. It's hard to explain, but the wiring diagram will illustrate this better.

The timer controlled relays will be programmed to activate two other relays (4 total) that will power the mirrors directly in either forward or reverse directions depending on which timer you triggered (door unlock or lock). They will power the mirror for as long as it takes for the mirrors to open or close. Again, you have to enter this value into the timer on the timer relay board and choose the correct function (it has 18).

Please let me know if you have any questions about this setup. It's not refined to say the least, but it should work reliably.

2 channel relay board (fail safe):
Amazon Amazon
4 channel relay board (H bridge):
Amazon Amazon
Timer controlled relay board:
Amazon Amazon

Old Sep 20, 2018, 04:10 AM
Evolved Member

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
I think the DEI 530T will work perfectly and maybe the 535T. It gives two motor two direction control with switch and trigger inputs. I've used them to control actuators/motors in cars many times. See them on eBay for $50-60.

The following users liked this post:
Pal215 (Sep 20, 2018)
Old Sep 20, 2018, 09:50 AM
EvoM Guru

Thumbs up

Originally Posted by BillAce
I think the DEI 530T will work perfectly and maybe the 535T. It gives two motor two direction control with switch and trigger inputs. I've used them to control actuators/motors in cars many times. See them on eBay for $50-60.

Now that's a clean way to do it! I didn't know that module even existed. Thanks for the heads up Ace!
Old Sep 20, 2018, 12:14 PM
EvoM Guru

Looked into the DEI unit, does it rely on the factory window switch system for the end limits of each window to keep from burning out the gears and motor or are these programmable?
Old Sep 20, 2018, 07:36 PM
Evolved Member

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
There are dip switches on it with a low, medium and high clutch setting. I've used some versions that I could remove and replace resistors to set the limit exactly where I wanted. In other cases I would use a timed output from the alarm to control it. I used to have a "faux" hood in my trunk that motorized open to show my amps that are built into Evo valve covers. I used a 530T to control the actuator and the motor lead disabled very reliably on open and close. It's also possible that the mirror motors have their own limit switches built in...

Quick Reply: Power Folding Mirrors