Notices
Evo General Discuss any generalized technical Evo related topics that may not fit into the other forums. Please do not post tech and rumor threads here.
Sponsored by: RavSpec - JDM Wheels Central

Power Folding Mirrors

Search this Thread

Old Sep 21, 2018, 11:33 AM
EvoM Guru

Received 345 Likes on 262 Posts
Originally Posted by BillAce
There are dip switches on it with a low, medium and high clutch setting. I've used some versions that I could remove and replace resistors to set the limit exactly where I wanted. In other cases I would use a timed output from the alarm to control it. I used to have a "faux" hood in my trunk that motorized open to show my amps that are built into Evo valve covers. I used a 530T to control the actuator and the motor lead disabled very reliably on open and close. It's also possible that the mirror motors have their own limit switches built in...
Very insightful ideas! I'll have to do some testing on the mirrors once they arrive to figure out exactly how they function. I just hope that they run on 12v DC and are not actually stepped down at the ETACS module.
Old Sep 21, 2018, 01:44 PM
Evolved Member

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
My guess would be 12V servos, they would probably want something stronger since there could be some weather exposure. Good Luck!
The following users liked this post:
Pal215 (Sep 21, 2018)
Old Sep 27, 2018, 01:54 PM
EvoM Guru

My guess would be 12V servos, they would probably want something stronger since there could be some weather exposure. Good Luck!

Motors did end up running on 12v, which is great! I tried out the 535T to see if it would work for this application, but it only moves the mirrors an inch and stops. This is after several attempts at end limit programming. Not sure why it doesn't want to move completely in both directions.
Old Sep 28, 2018, 05:25 AM
Evolved Member

Are you using the orange status inpit trigger? I know the 535 is a little different and think if that wire sees ground the one touch will not work which would pulse the output. Did you try the 12v switch leads as triggers?
Old Sep 28, 2018, 12:26 PM
EvoM Guru

Are you using the orange status inpit trigger? I know the 535 is a little different and think if that wire sees ground the one touch will not work which would pulse the output. Did you try the 12v switch leads as triggers?

Correct, I tried to trigger using the 12v switch wires. The orange status wire was wired up to the "ground when armed" side of the alarm, but I never set the alarm to test the feature. It looks like it fails to detect the folding end limits of the mirrors during the programming cycle.
Old Sep 28, 2018, 01:36 PM
Evolved Member

Disconnect the ground when armed wire and try it, I believe that the 535 added a failsafe to stop the window up motion so it wouldn't trigger motion sensors as part of the logic upgrade from the 530 along with the "Learn" feature to set the motor stop resistance threhhold
Old Oct 1, 2018, 03:26 PM
EvoM Guru

Disconnect the ground when armed wire and try it, I believe that the 535 added a failsafe to stop the window up motion so it wouldn't trigger motion sensors as part of the logic upgrade from the 530 along with the "Learn" feature to set the motor stop resistance threhhold
Sounds like a plan, I'll give it a try and report back to see what happens
Old Oct 15, 2019, 02:54 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
i managed to do the same for my Lancer 2007 everything working Perfect except that they unfold when I reach 40km/h. i know there should be a wiring connection running from Speed Sensor to my mirrors. could you Please help regarding to that connection.
Old Apr 11, 2020, 10:23 AM

Received 64 Likes on 33 Posts
Super old bump.....

Does anybody have the part number for the JDM ETACS unit? That's about the only piece I haven't been able to find for this yet.
Old Nov 6, 2020, 11:36 AM
Evolving Member

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
Originally Posted by Evoardo IX
If your arm can reach the other side of the car then it's not that hard at all

The key to have the mirrors to work perfectly is to have:
- Both mirrors ( then swap bases)
-Mirror switch with folding button
-ETACS unit from an evo with folding mirrors (this is crucial, it's the "relay")
-Wiring diagrams, and some extra wires to run ( one from switch to etacs, the from from left side mirror to etacs and another from right side mirror to etacs.)

There's a set on ebay UK, but it doesn't include the ETACS.
Super old bump.... need a little more info here. Where exactly did you run each wire to? I think i have the wire from the switch to the etacs run correctly, but I'm stumped on where the red and brown wire from each mirror should be run to.
Old Nov 6, 2020, 11:59 AM

Received 64 Likes on 33 Posts
Originally Posted by DSMdynamic
Super old bump.... need a little more info here. Where exactly did you run each wire to? I think i have the wire from the switch to the etacs run correctly, but I'm stumped on where the red and brown wire from each mirror should be run to.
If your mirrors have the heating element with them, you'll need to wire those up too.
Old Nov 7, 2020, 03:54 PM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by Selena_2000
If your mirrors have the heating element with them, you'll need to wire those up too.
Nope, no heating element here to deal with.

Good news though.. I just tested everything and got it working now with the jdm switch and etacs. I just have to finish running the wires and it should be all good to go.

Update: If anybody needs help with this feel free to PM me.

Last edited by DSMdynamic; Nov 18, 2020 at 06:04 PM.
The following users liked this post:
osetsky (Nov 8, 2020)
Old Aug 3, 2021, 10:11 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by DSMdynamic
Nope, no heating element here to deal with.

Good news though.. I just tested everything and got it working now with the jdm switch and etacs. I just have to finish running the wires and it should be all good to go.

Update: If anybody needs help with this feel free to PM me.

I PMd you @DSMdynamic , I have everything I need to start this project
Old Aug 21, 2021, 08:34 PM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by GordonVIII
I PMd you @DSMdynamic , I have everything I need to start this project
just PMd you back