Notices
Evo General Discuss any generalized technical Evo related topics that may not fit into the other forums. Please do not post tech and rumor threads here.
Sponsored by: RavSpec - JDM Wheels Central

What a nightmare...what would YOU do?

Search this Thread

Old Apr 15, 2010, 08:04 AM
Evolving Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Unhappy What a nightmare...what would YOU do?

Typo: "What a nightmare...What would YOU do?" -- Is what I wanted to say in the title of this thread.

About 8 months ago, I bought my 2005 Evo 8 from a used car lot in NJ for roughly 21K out the door and on the road. My Evo 8 had 29K miles on it. Right now it's at 35K miles. After I bought the car, it had tranny issues but the used car lot "fixed" it by replacing the tranny with a rebuilt/used tranny since it was under warranty. However, the mileage and cost of this "rebuilt/used" tranny are unknown since I was never told how much was paid for it. Even when I asked, I got the run-around and never a solid answer....Later I will conclude and come to find out why I was never told how much was paid for the tranny.

Right now, 8 months later, this tranny is now starting to die. 5th gear grinds and it is extremely hard to put into any gear when the car is on but at rest. Also, I just recently changed out the tranny, rear diff, and transfer case fluids for maintenance purposes about a month ago so I decided to see what the tranny fluid looked like when all this started happening but when I drained a little bit of it, it came out dark/light metallic in color indicating something inside my tranny was def. messed up, most likely the sychros I bet since 5th gear is grinding.

Annoyed, I called up the used car lot and told them what was happening to my tranny since it had only been 8 months after purchase and they said that's impossible and the only way that could have happened was if I was "driving the car wrong." I argued and said, "No, this car has never been raced. I have been driving a stick shift for nearly 5 years and never even so much as burnt up a clutch. Also, to include, I have never gotten a speeding ticket or any ticket for that matter." They blew it off and basically said whatever and how they are not at fault even though it's under their dealership warranty of at least 1 year or 12K miles...Right now I'm at 8 months and a little over 6K miles.

They asked me where I would want to get a rebuilt tranny from and I said Mitsubishi. Once they found out the prices for Mitsu's rebuilt ones ($3,000+), I heard a lot of flack about how much of a "rip-off" that is and how they can find a "better, cheaper one." ...Right, a $300 POS tranny is not considered "better" in the customers eyes, just better for the used car lot's wallets. Yes, the owner of this used car lot in NJ ended up going through a private company that strictly deals with dealerships and bought this transmission then simply paid Mitsubishi to put it in my car. Mitsu asked me if I wanted them to open it up but since I was strapped for cash, I couldn't simply just fork out an extra $500 to get a quick inspection of it....Also, to include the Lemon Law states the seller of the vehicle can pick and choose which place they want to buy the transmission for a car so I couldn't argue with him about where he bought it from since I originally said Mitsubishi.

Another problem is, I can't just go up there and speak with them in person. I am located in MD and they are roughly a little over 3 hours away from me. I told them if this problem does not get resolved, then they will be hearing from my lawyer and the owner of this shop said, "Go ahead." In reality, I don't have a lawyer and when I looked for a lawyer, they wanted $1,500 just to look at my case then $250 an hour for every hour they invest in my case. I really don't have this kind of money at all. I work full time and go to college part time which I pay for on my own as well.

To make matters worse, my uncle whom I took my car to said my transfer case also looks like it could be in bad shape. The transfer case shell looks to have been welded back together so chances are, I might be rebuilding that or even worse, replacing that as well. Also, to include, my axel seals are leaking oil. I could visibly see oil deposits caked onto the under-carriage of the car where the axel seals are located. Thankfully, the leak is not bad at all...My car sat in the same place for over a day and there was not even one drop of oil on the ground.

All in all, my uncle talked to his transmission buddy who has been working on transmissions for over 40 years and he believes the tranny is taking a crap and he also said I should replace the entire clutch assembly, as well as the slave cylinder. I'm not sure why about the slave cylinder but the clutch assembly makes sense since one of the components constantly makes contact with my faulty tranny which could have inadvertantly messed up my stock clutch assembly even though my stock clutch assembly has only 6K miles on it.

As if it couldn't get any worse, when I got my transmission replaced the first time on the used car lot's expense, I paid for a new stock clutch since it was recommended. I had to get a stock clutch because at the time I was broke and put forth a great deal of money down on the car. The used car lot argued till the cows came home about how the clutch has "nothing to do with the operation of a tranny even if the tranny is messed up." I needed my car back and since it was in the shop for over a month, I didn't complain and just bought the stock clutch myself ($420 - Labor was free since Mitsu felt bad for me.)

However, Mitsubishi said my flywheel LOOKED ok. They never indicated to me that they resurfaced my flywheel....Therefore, it would most likely be in my best interest to buy a new flywheel now as well.

All together...this is what I will need to either rebuild or replace:

Rebuild Transmission
Rebuild or Replace Transfer Case
Replace Slave Cylinder
Replace entire Clutch Assembly
Replace Flywheel

If you have negative comments, please keep them to yourself. I'm already depressed that this is happening to me. I'm only looking for advice on what I should do. Let me know if anything doesn't make sense or if you need more clarification. Please

Thanks guys
-Randy

Last edited by marylandevo8; Apr 15, 2010 at 08:15 AM.
Old Apr 15, 2010, 08:24 AM
Evolved Member

Quit dealing with some used car place and the dealership. Take it somewhere that knows about the car. I don't live in on that side of the country, but I would start here, and maybe ask them for local places they trust;
http://www.machevo.com/
Old Apr 15, 2010, 08:48 AM
Evolved Member

Received 45 Likes on 41 Posts
Get the tranny rebuilt from Shep, Buschur, or TRE and send them the TC at the same time. Slave cylinder is probably fine, replace the clutch and resurface the flywheel.

These are you cheapest ways out. If you need someone to do the work CBRD is about 70 miles from you in York PA
Old Apr 15, 2010, 08:52 AM
Evolved Member

How much money do you have to throw at this problem?
Old Apr 15, 2010, 08:53 AM
Evolving Member

if you paid over 2k in NJ there is a lemon law not sure about md and pa has none...

Unfortunetly we get screwed quite often ,

My sister 1st picked up a 1999 mustang , it needed inspection, the dealership said they do it no problem , it didnt pass , when we asked them to fix it they said it isnt there problem , so I fixed it myself including a new battery,new brake caliper and a completely new egr system...

2nd car different dealer, this was a 2002 neon , it had a terrible vibration which turned out to be a wheel bearing , I again told this dealership it needed to be replaced and again they said its not there problem , shortly thereafter the rad fan exploded , then after that the trans wouldnt shift past 2nd gear ...

So I finally said screw it and found her a mint 1g dsm for 1500 so far there hasnt been any problems at all, why? because we bought it from a private seller ...Just because there a dealer doesnt mean they know what there doin

there is no law here that states it has to pass inspection here and they have to fix it..so feel lucky they at least tried , we get screwed ...

Take it back and tell'em you want your money back , go somewhere else and find one while you still have the chance to return it , if they give you a hassle call the mayor in that town and let'em know what there doing , they will likely get involved ..
Old Apr 15, 2010, 08:59 AM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by hotdog
How much money do you have to throw at this problem?
somewhere in the ball park of 4 thousand dollars.
Old Apr 15, 2010, 09:00 AM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by gsrboi80
Get the tranny rebuilt from Shep, Buschur, or TRE and send them the TC at the same time. Slave cylinder is probably fine, replace the clutch and resurface the flywheel.

These are you cheapest ways out. If you need someone to do the work CBRD is about 70 miles from you in York PA
Thank you man! Any idea on how much this would cost total when it is all said and done?
Old Apr 15, 2010, 09:03 AM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by turbolancer02
if you paid over 2k in NJ there is a lemon law not sure about md and pa has none...

Unfortunetly we get screwed quite often ,

My sister 1st picked up a 1999 mustang , it needed inspection, the dealership said they do it no problem , it didnt pass , when we asked them to fix it they said it isnt there problem , so I fixed it myself including a new battery,new brake caliper and a completely new egr system...

2nd car different dealer, this was a 2002 neon , it had a terrible vibration which turned out to be a wheel bearing , I again told this dealership it needed to be replaced and again they said its not there problem , shortly thereafter the rad fan exploded , then after that the trans wouldnt shift past 2nd gear ...

So I finally said screw it and found her a mint 1g dsm for 1500 so far there hasnt been any problems at all, why? because we bought it from a private seller ...Just because there a dealer doesnt mean they know what there doin

there is no law here that states it has to pass inspection here and they have to fix it..so feel lucky they at least tried , we get screwed ...

Take it back and tell'em you want your money back , go somewhere else and find one while you still have the chance to return it , if they give you a hassle call the mayor in that town and let'em know what there doing , they will likely get involved ..
Unfortunately, I dumped nearly $5,000 into my car already and it seriously wouldn't be worth it for me to get my money back. I really like the car, I want it fixed. Getting rid of it is out of the question at this point in time.
Old Apr 15, 2010, 09:08 AM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by marylandevo8
somewhere in the ball park of 4 thousand dollars.
Well, personally, I think you NEED to get the car to someone who specializes in Evos/DSMs, instead of random mechanics. Be it Buschur, Shep, Ivey Tuning, whoever-else-might-be-on-the-east-coast, to get a better feel for what exactly is broken, what needs fixes, etc, etc.
Old Apr 15, 2010, 09:19 AM
EvoM Community Team

Received 62 Likes on 59 Posts
Originally Posted by hotdog
Well, personally, I think you NEED to get the car to someone who specializes in Evos/DSMs, instead of random mechanics. Be it Buschur, Shep, Ivey Tuning, whoever-else-might-be-on-the-east-coast, to get a better feel for what exactly is broken, what needs fixes, etc, etc.
This.
Old Apr 15, 2010, 09:24 AM
Evolved Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Is this used car place a member of the BBB?
Old Apr 15, 2010, 09:29 AM
Evolved Member

^^+1
Old Apr 15, 2010, 09:46 AM
Evolved Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Originally Posted by marylandevo8
Thank you man! Any idea on how much this would cost total when it is all said and done?
LaScuola Motorsports and CBRD are some of the best shops around the area, give one of them a call and I'm sure they'll be able to come up with something for you.
Old Apr 15, 2010, 09:48 AM
Evolving Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Check with Evo/DSM shops in the area. The Mid-Atlantic forums have good reviews on most of them.

Off the top of my head: CBRD, LaScuola motorworks, UCS Performance, and Atlantic Motorsports. They're all not too far, and will know how to help you out.

I know you said you don't want to hear it, but I think returning the car is your best bet. There's other Evos around that will give you less of a headache.
Old Apr 15, 2010, 09:56 AM
EvoM Community Team

Received 62 Likes on 59 Posts
He isn't going to be able to return it after 8 months.

Quick Reply: What a nightmare...what would YOU do?