Notices
Evo General Discuss any generalized technical Evo related topics that may not fit into the other forums. Please do not post tech and rumor threads here.
Sponsored by: RavSpec - JDM Wheels Central

Are the Fp stock frame turbos really worth the money?

Search this Thread

Old Feb 19, 2014, 02:17 PM
Evolving Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Are the Fp stock frame turbos really worth the money?

So I just ordered an fp red and some other bolt ons to go with it and to be honest they are almost as expensive as a t3 turbo kit even more now that they have changed to a external waste gate. So if you are looking for power and choose to go with an fp turbo because you think it will be the cheapest really add up All of the parts and what you are going to get first. The turbo alone is 2400. This isn't saying that they aren't good turbos just more of a really consider all of your options before you buy what you think will be cheaper because you don't need a new manifold and stuff like that
Old Feb 19, 2014, 02:25 PM
Evolved Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
It's going to help sales on BBK's and EF's.
Old Feb 19, 2014, 02:45 PM
Evolved Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Originally Posted by mdsevo06
It's going to help sales on BBK's and EF's.

Maybe EFs but BBKs are more than FPs to start with......
I am picking up a BBK-BB-B and with porting, higher pressure waste gate actuator, and anti surge cover it is damn near $2900!

It really depends what you are looking for. Between a new manifold, custom tubular O2 housing, and BBK-BB-B I will be spending over $5500.....almost buy a whole EFR turbo setup!
I like to stay stock frame and I am not looking for huge HP#s.
It is all preference, not always just about what is cheaper.
Old Feb 19, 2014, 02:49 PM
Evolved Member

Received 26 Likes on 26 Posts
everyone i know who runs a FP turbo are all happy. i dont think you can go wrong. there are plenty to chose from imo. FP, BBK's, EF-series turbos are all great!
Old Feb 19, 2014, 02:57 PM
Evolving Member

Like I was saying the turbos are good and I know I will be happy with my results but most people do the stock frame because they think it will be thousands cheaper but that's not really the case. If you want to keep it looking stock then they are great obviously but if you don't care than you should look into the kits
Old Feb 19, 2014, 03:02 PM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by vito93
Like I was saying the turbos are good and I know I will be happy with my results but most people do the stock frame because they think it will be thousands cheaper but that's not really the case. If you want to keep it looking stock then they are great obviously but if you don't care than you should look into the kits

Unless you are looking for the characteristics of a stock frame turbo......You might be able to get a bigger turbo but it might not be what you are looking for. My advice, find out what you like and then buy accordingly. Just because it is cheaper doesn't mean it is what you want.
Old Feb 19, 2014, 03:16 PM
Evolving Member

You don't have to get a huge turbo I'm not saying go out and get a 42r or anything
Old Feb 19, 2014, 03:24 PM
Evolved Member

You don't have to get a huge turbo I'm not saying go out and get a 42r or anything

I didn't say that......
Old Feb 19, 2014, 03:29 PM
Evolved Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Stock frames are for the following IMHO:
1) People who have to pass smog like in Cali
Or
2) People who want a simple setup and aren't looking for more then 450-500ish HP (FP Red and down).

If you are looking FP Black power and are considering getting a new manifold then you should consider a big frame turbo. Lag is overrated on a properly matched twin scroll kit
Old Feb 19, 2014, 09:21 PM
Evolved Member

Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts
+1 ^

Im only looking to go to 450 on pump 530 on e85

I have a 25G that is similiar to an fp red and will make the same amount of power. I didnt have $2500 to spend on a new turbo, nor would I pay $1200 for a used turbo due to lack of history, I paid $1100 for my turbo new with a 11.5 hotside port matched from kinugawa.

Once I pay the car off im rebuilding the motor and doing a forward face turbo and attempting 700hp

I would like to run a 6266 turbo or a 35R ball bearing for both and change my setup completely
Old Feb 20, 2014, 07:55 AM
Evolved Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
The only reason I am running a stock frame is because Im in Cali. I was looking into a FP Red but now that FP has changed them up where they aren't as stealthy I might need to look at a bbk now.
Old Feb 20, 2014, 09:04 AM
Evolved Member

Received 18 Likes on 13 Posts
So I just ordered an fp red and some other bolt ons to go with it and to be honest they are almost as expensive as a t3 turbo kit even more now that they have changed to a external waste gate. So if you are looking for power and choose to go with an fp turbo because you think it will be the cheapest really add up All of the parts and what you are going to get first. The turbo alone is 2400. This isn't saying that they aren't good turbos just more of a really consider all of your options before you buy what you think will be cheaper because you don't need a new manifold and stuff like that
Are you high? Who would think that... Its so much cheaper to go with a pte based turbo with a decent manifold. IT does not take anything to make a vband dp or have one made. Dont get me wrong fp is grate

Last edited by DSMolition; Feb 20, 2014 at 09:06 AM.
Old Feb 20, 2014, 09:14 AM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by DSMolition
Are you high? Who would think that... Its so much cheaper to go with a pte based turbo with a decent manifold. IT does not take anything to make a vband dp or have one made. Dont get me wrong fp is grate
I think the general idea is stock frame turbo=quick and easy. You just boot up and play. Where as a t3/t4 kit runs you ~4k
Old Feb 20, 2014, 09:23 AM
Evolved Member

Received 18 Likes on 13 Posts
Originally Posted by Viegasjuice
I think the general idea is stock frame turbo=quick and easy. You just boot up and play. Where as a t3/t4 kit runs you ~4k
I can see that, maybe I took that the wrong way. I guess i would never buy a "kit" so my point of view is biased.
Old Feb 20, 2014, 10:18 AM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by DSMolition
I can see that, maybe I took that the wrong way. I guess i would never buy a "kit" so my point of view is biased.
Hell, when I first started lookin at a turbo upgrade I thought stock frame was awesome and cheaper. It all ends up being about the same and you have more room to grow with a bigger turbo. Hence the reason I went for being sold on doing an do black to realizing I'd rather a 6266 instead.

Quick Reply: Are the Fp stock frame turbos really worth the money?