Notices
Evo General Discuss any generalized technical Evo related topics that may not fit into the other forums. Please do not post tech and rumor threads here.
Sponsored by: RavSpec - JDM Wheels Central

JDM/USDM Carbon fiber rear crash beam

Search this Thread

Old Feb 6, 2011, 11:05 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
JDM/USDM Carbon fiber rear crash beam

Hey guys, I've been bothered by the oem 17LBS crash beam & decided it was a good excuse to order the JDM rear bumper.
After alot of research on this beam it is clear it serves more of a purpose then a "crash beam", it is also a pretty critical hard point in the rear of our evos. That said, I've developed a carbon fiber crash beam that is designed to be stronger and alot lighter then the oem rear "beam", here are some pics of the foam in which I will layup the carbon fiber around with aluminum inserts, I am considering doing more of these for those who may be interested. I'll keep posting pics with progress and the final product shortly. Tell me what you think so far.
Thanks,
Blake
Attached Thumbnails JDM/USDM Carbon fiber rear crash beam-imag0810.jpg   JDM/USDM Carbon fiber rear crash beam-imag0814.jpg  
Old Feb 6, 2011, 11:40 AM

That a cool idea....great fresh thinking! I may sound dumb with this, but is a carbon fiber beam stronger that steel, you know crush "resistant"??

Last edited by student driver; Feb 18, 2011 at 09:03 AM.
Old Feb 6, 2011, 11:43 AM
Evolved Member

Looks like a cool idea if its strong enough.
Old Feb 6, 2011, 11:57 AM

Originally Posted by student driver
That a cool idea....great fresh thinking! I may sound dumb with this, but is a carbon fiber beam stronger that steel, you know crush "resistant"??
Good question! With the foam being the inner structure surrounded by the carbon fiber, given that it is "sandwiched" by the carbon fiber on all four sides, it is naturally a great "crush" structure as any car would hope to have.
Old Feb 6, 2011, 12:02 PM
Evolved Member

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
Good idea by using a lite weight material and filling it with a "cushion". The only problem I may see is the price associated with CF. What about using aluminum instead of CF? Have you looked at the cost difference in the material itself and also the process to mold/create the outter enclosure between the two? Not trashing your idea by any means, just trying to think of all possible options.
Old Feb 6, 2011, 12:06 PM
Evolved Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I work for a company that manufactures components out of IMPAXX which is Dow Chemicals Energy Absorbing Foam that is used in Automotive as well as in the Nascar Doors. Let me know if you are interested in some of this material for this project.
Old Feb 6, 2011, 12:18 PM
Evolved Member

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts
Originally Posted by student driver
CF has high tensile strength, and is very light weight, but I don't think it will do much in the area of absorbing impact. Tensile strength can be described as ability to withstand stretching...which both carbon fiber and steel posses. CF is composed of interlocking filaments of carbon atoms so it is very stong against stretching. However, steel has toughness that CF doesnt have. Toughness being the ability to withstand impact without breaking. Hit steel with a hammer and it dents...hit it hard enough and you may puncture the steel's structure. Take a hammer to CF and there will be no denting, it will just break apart like plastic. So for rigidity it may help, but for impact protection, I would have to say it won't do much....I'm theorizing here, so in practice I may be wrong
Old Feb 6, 2011, 12:36 PM
Evolving Member

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Well the first question i have is what moulding method are you going to use?

I am guessing vaccum bag, its easy and cheap to do.

Unless you have access to a Autoclave...then we can get dence fiber and low void.
Old Feb 6, 2011, 12:43 PM

will these be only for the guys with jdm rears?
Old Feb 6, 2011, 12:47 PM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by SEEnoEVO
I work for a company that manufactures components out of IMPAXX which is Dow Chemicals Energy Absorbing Foam that is used in Automotive as well as in the Nascar Doors. Let me know if you are interested in some of this material for this project.
This is a great idea!

http://www.dowautomotive.com/products/impaxx/300.htm

Also if cost is permitting a layer of kevlar can add a bit of strength.
Old Feb 6, 2011, 01:13 PM
Evolving Member

Interesting, I've always wanted the JDM rear but in no way wanted to sacrifice the safety with modified or removed crash beams.
Old Feb 6, 2011, 01:53 PM
Former Sponsor

Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts
Originally Posted by F2000Driver
After alot of research on this beam it is clear it serves more of a purpose then a "crash beam", it is also a pretty critical hard point in the rear of our evos.
Originally Posted by alianum777
Interesting, I've always wanted the JDM rear but in no way wanted to sacrifice the safety with modified or removed crash beams.
Guess you didnt do enough research, as the JDM EVOs have NO crash beam.

The "Crash Beam" is only a USDM thing, as insurance companies require it so they can pay less when it come to minor bumper accidents (less then 5mph). Its not a "safety" thing and is not gonna save your life or car in any accident above 5mph.

And since JDM and other markets DONT have it, I doubt it is a "critical hard point" as you say.
Old Feb 6, 2011, 02:06 PM
Evolved Member

Jay the fact that the JDM market doesn't have one does not mean anything. Overseas car manufacturers do not have the same FMVSS200 safety standards that we have in the US. The engineering and development that goes on behind the scenes in the US is quite impressive in regards to occupant and bystandard safety. Although it was developed to help keep the costs down to both the insurance companies as well as consumers, safety was still a driver when NHTSA introduced the need for this requirement. 201U for instance is an interior occupant safety standard that takes many scenarios into consideration as far as rollover, unbelted occupants, etc. that is heavily developed in the US but not installed on cars that are exported.
Old Feb 6, 2011, 02:26 PM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by Boosted Tuning
Guess you didnt do enough research, as the JDM EVOs have NO crash beam.

The "Crash Beam" is only a USDM thing, as insurance companies require it so they can pay less when it come to minor bumper accidents (less then 5mph). Its not a "safety" thing and is not gonna save your life or car in any accident above 5mph.

And since JDM and other markets DONT have it, I doubt it is a "critical hard point" as you say.
They were talking about keeping the safty crash "critical hard point".

Even his Foam core clearly shows its a modified version of the USDM crash beam in the same picture. He must have seen the same posts of the modded rear crash beam that fits a JDM bumper, and built of that.

Should give him the benefit of the doubt.
Old Feb 6, 2011, 02:26 PM
Evolved Member

Sorry about getting off topic. Good luck on your project man!!

Quick Reply: JDM/USDM Carbon fiber rear crash beam