Notices
Evo General Discuss any generalized technical Evo related topics that may not fit into the other forums. Please do not post tech and rumor threads here.
Sponsored by: RavSpec - JDM Wheels Central

With the EVO now being extinct, does that mean the value of the IXs goes up?

Search this Thread

Old Mar 3, 2011, 04:09 AM
Evolving Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I agree

Originally Posted by Wickedwhite8
Its all about the 8, the 9 was just a refined copy of the almighty evo 8. The First legal evo for sale in the u.s. so ill sell mine to you for $55000. Lmao. Its still just a fast 4 door family car.
Old Mar 3, 2011, 04:09 AM
EvoM Guru

Received 95 Likes on 82 Posts
When the Camaro went out of production in 2002, the value of used fourth-gen Camaros, particularly the 2002 (last year), increased. When news of the 5th gen Camaro started circulating seriously, the values went back down. I know this because I have a 95 Camaro that I've been toying with selling for years and have kept an eye on prices.
Old Mar 3, 2011, 04:47 AM
Evolving Member

I really doubt it. You might have an enthusiast that would pay a premium for a mint condition evo.
Old Mar 3, 2011, 05:03 AM
Evolving Member

Here is a new perspective, so think of it this way...

If it is already low sales then it means low demand, if low demand then no one is really interested in the evo. So will the evo go up in price? Typically if no one wants it then it drops even farther, but if it becomes a rare collectible it will go up in value. I dont think anyone except for enthusiasts and current owners will be buying used evos, the fact we all have an idea of what its worth, we wont pay more. The evo community will probably be close to the same people later on, so we will be deciding its value.

Sure there is a difference for type or model etc, but all of them will be in their own category.
All products fall into this reality.

Last edited by Earthen; Mar 3, 2011 at 05:18 AM.
Old Mar 3, 2011, 05:43 AM
Evolved Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Think of it like this. There will always be some who will be searching for an Evo. They are the type of people who will be searching for an Evo in a certain category.

As far as the U.S. market goes the 8's are the raw Evo version because they do not have the extras. There will be those who will always want what many view as the last Evo the 9 and there will be those who will want the 10 with all its extras none of the other Evos come with.

After all are there not those who search for the Supra or any performance car from a certain year/style? Yes, despite its four door sedan style the Evo is a performance car. It might not have the sticker price of some of the more expensive products out there but with little work it can outperform those same products.

If we did not enjoy the Evo we would not have one. How many in the car world would like to have an Evo? Performance cars that can get around in weather year round are a bit harder to find than just a fast car that is RWD or in some cases FWD. Sure there are faster cars out there than the Evo, but again can they get around with ease year round at least in the north?

So while the Evo might never be worth large dollars, it will certainly hold its own place in the car world. Of course the average person is not looking for an Evo. Most of the average people have not even heard of them or understand what they can do. So no, the average person will not see the value of the Evo, those who desire the Evo though will always be willing to pay the price asked even if it is above what KBB says it should be worth. KBB does not work on demand value the as much as it does depreciation value. A search on KBB and then Autotrader shows the prices are not listed the same; yes they are close but not the same. KBB is priced lower than Autotrader has them listed for. Again, those looking to buy a Supra will pay the price or they do not get the supra.

It is about supply and demand. A stock Evo or lightly modded Evo is getting harder to find on the U.S. market daily, even more so for one that has not been wrecked. Many have been destroyed by drivers thinking they were bullet proof or turned into drag cars.

The Evo will hold value to those who desire the Evo. Same goes with any other car for the year and style. Some will search for the first models in the U.S. others the MIVEC and still others the last year of sale.
Old Mar 3, 2011, 06:10 AM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by 714benz
The 03 EVO 8 will be the car to look at in a couple of years if it's has low miles and stock form.
So for all you 03 owners keep you cars in good shape.
I wouldn't buy an 03.open diff sucks.
Old Mar 3, 2011, 06:12 AM

How about we worry less about this crap? The source with this EVO extinction is not even concrete information. I mean really? It's from this one dude? Did Mitsubishi have a press release about this?

You guys are ridiculous. It makes me sick.
Old Mar 3, 2011, 06:12 AM
Evolved Member

Received 45 Likes on 41 Posts
Originally Posted by bambooi
Easy fix though
Old Mar 3, 2011, 11:26 AM
Evolving Member

Received 7 Likes on 1 Post
Originally Posted by bambooi
ugly interior...ugly headlights, taillights, ugly front bumper, open diff, no mivec, no acd
Old Mar 3, 2011, 11:35 AM
Evolved Member

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts
Originally Posted by vipers
ugly interior...ugly headlights, taillights, ugly front bumper, open diff, no mivec, no acd
and based on your avatar you went with an ugly bumper anyway
Old Mar 3, 2011, 12:43 PM
Evolved Member

If anything...the value of the car will may stabilize as time goes on...but don't expect to retire on the profits from selling it. The Evo might be one of those cars you see on Barrett Jackson 30 years from now that fetches maybe it's original sticker price on Auction.

Reality is that a large percentage of the population doesn't know (or care for that matter) what an Evo is. As others have said earlier, it's only worth what someone is willing to pay for it. The Evo satisfies a very specific subset of car buyers, and may do well in that market. But it will be years before the Evo is possibly worth something.

Just enjoy the car...I mean you bought it for the right reason, right?
Old Mar 3, 2011, 12:50 PM
Evolved Member

Received 45 Likes on 41 Posts
Originally Posted by vipers
ugly interiorSame -color...ugly headlights,$10 fix taillights,$10 fix ugly front bumperI actually prefer the VIII to the IX, open diff,Easy Fix no mivec,Agreed no acdNo thanks keep it

Originally Posted by evo8426
My goodness that thing is hard to look at

Again all it's a car and only worth what someone is willing to pay for it if you want to try and get more then a dealer value
Old Mar 3, 2011, 02:02 PM
Evolving Member

Received 7 Likes on 1 Post
Originally Posted by evo8426
lol... i have no problem taking criticism i went with the cwest bumper for its function, not its form! and have the voltex canards on as well... its a street/track car... so its function>form in most cases for me

and i dont know... doesnt look so bad to me
Name:  010-1.jpg
Views: 0
Size:  83.4 KB
Name:  055.jpg
Views: 0
Size:  44.2 KB

i really have nothing against the evo 8, all of those things i posted are minor, i agree... i just know the 8 will never be worth more than the 9..simple as that
Old Mar 3, 2011, 07:19 PM
Evolved Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
I agree with vipers on the evo 8 stuff, and quite honestly his car looks pretty good, I like the bumper
Old Mar 3, 2011, 07:26 PM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by AdvanRG2
How about we worry less about this crap? The source with this EVO extinction is not even concrete information. I mean really? It's from this one dude? Did Mitsubishi have a press release about this?

You guys are ridiculous. It makes me sick.
THANK YOU!!!!!!! if you guys worry about value that much sell it now to someone who might actually appreciate it, since the value is only going down every day

Quick Reply: With the EVO now being extinct, does that mean the value of the IXs goes up?