Notices
Evo General Discuss any generalized technical Evo related topics that may not fit into the other forums. Please do not post tech and rumor threads here.
Sponsored by: RavSpec - JDM Wheels Central

With the EVO now being extinct, does that mean the value of the IXs goes up?

Search this Thread

Old Mar 6, 2011, 05:21 PM
Evolved Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Originally Posted by 6thfloor
WOW you almost have a genuine 9. Good for you
To bad no mivec though cause it kicks but
And your right my car is better than yours simply because its newer.
Yeah, you'll fit right in here.
Old Mar 6, 2011, 05:23 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by nightwalker

Evo garage queens make as much sense as a hot wife you don't have sex with.
LOL...Quote of the century! I'm gonna have to borrow this one
Old Mar 6, 2011, 05:28 PM
Evolved Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by 6thfloor
WOW you almost have a genuine 9. Good for you
To bad no mivec though cause it kicks but
And your right my car is better than yours simply because its newer.
I believe it is spelled butt for that meaning and not but. You almost had the genuine word there buddy.

That being said the 8 was more raw than the 9. Some still like the old style of being raw. No MIVEC, no ACD, and none of the other flare. As for looks as I said in an earlier post I like the 8 style better, beauty is in the eye of the beholder.

Guess what the 8 also has less things that can mess up as compared to the 9. Not a lot of difference but enough that there are less electrical things I have to worry about. I have seen the threads asking why it shows they are running on all surfaces instead of just one.

As far as it goes the evo might hold some value but it is doubtful it will ever be a big price holder. I think they hold value well now because there is limited numbers brought in and there are plenty stolen, totaled, or made into drag cars. Yet there are still those of us who love and search for the evo.

The evo does not have cruise unless you do after market install, that is a big hurting factor for many. The evo does not have the auto start or many of the other new gadgets that come with many cars, again unless you do after market. The evo will never have a big demand when it comes to the average person because most do not know what it does and all they see is a four door, four cylinder family sedan that has a big wing.

Facts are the 8 and the 9 or even the 10 are not going to be the next big money item. If you bought it for that you screwed yourself. If you bought it for fun do so and stop arguing about whose evo will be worth more. They are only worth what someone is willing to pay and not many are willing to pay what we think they are worth especially with the economy in the crapper the way it is.
Old Mar 6, 2011, 05:30 PM
Evolved Member

Another big part of why Supra's go down in value so little is the engine. The 2JZ-GTE was only sold in US with one model - the Supra. The engine itself is legendary and hard to find outside of Supra applications. The 4G63 on the other hand was used in production turbo applications for over 30 years (1982 Starion) - there is no shortage of them.

All stock Evos sold in the US are about the same level of performance out of the box, which I believe is a big part of why they are depreciating so slowly. They all do about 4.5 to 60, have around 13 second 1/4 mile times. The Supra did similar numbers. All of these cars are still performance bargains considering todays offerings from Porsche, BMW, Audi, etc.

As performance figures go down, cars will be depreciate more and more. I see Acura's NSX has taken a harder depreciation hit the last few years since it is no longer competitive with it's underpowered engine.

In terms of long term collect-ability, you can probably forget about any USDM Evo's being colelctible, except maybe the X (I doubt it though with it's 6+ year production cycle). 8's and 9's are considered nerfed compared to JDM and other models with AYC ( The most collectible NSX will be the JDM Type-Rs. ). The most significant historic platform is still the CP9A platform. It's kind of funny hearing about 8 guys and 9 guys fighting over who has the better car, it's the same platform with minor differences. No 8's or 9's dominated on the Rally circuit the same with the CP9A platform did, and the performance between the 8 and 9 is practically identical.
Old Mar 6, 2011, 05:32 PM

I agree, defintely will hold it's value however finding a used one that hasn't been abused may be a challenge
Old Mar 6, 2011, 05:36 PM
Evolved Member

no USDM evo is genuine unless its the JDM version. I'd love to have AYC on my IX.

oh and IX's are better *****es. :P

*runs and hides*
Old Mar 6, 2011, 05:41 PM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by Brainiac
It's not often that you see people arguing when they both own pretty much the same car..I could see if this were the 8/9 vs the X, but c'mon guys the 8 and 9 platform is more similar than different.
notice what i wrote, check that post from me above. i said no hate we all drive evolutions. it should be more a brotherhood. then again you'll always have the yuppie fanboys who think their car is hotter,faster, or "cooler"

Raistlin - my evo 8 has ACD the 2005s did come with this feature.

highly evolved - if i recall the evo 7 were in quite a few top rally events and if im correct they might have won a few as well. the 7 is very much the same car as the 8 and 9 besides having a few more bells and whistles that the usdm counters did not

Last edited by donmeca2020; Mar 6, 2011 at 05:53 PM.
Old Mar 6, 2011, 05:52 PM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by Blitz
Yeah, you'll fit right in here.
like i said, a guy with under 20 posts and talking the way he did trying to be cute saying somehow someway his car is better, makes me believe he is a youngster and newb and more then likely wont be on this forum or own that 9 for long. he'll probably go and jump on the next 'tuner" car that comes out. people like him remind me of when i used to own an RSX straight stuck up scumbags on that forum..
Old Mar 6, 2011, 06:52 PM

This is the way I look at it. I bought my Evo new in 06. I wanted this car because of the amazing performance numbers it puts down and because I respect the formidable 4G63. I plan on taking care of it and keeping it for the rest of my life. I hope to have the same smile on my face when I drive it at the age of 60 that I have now. If it does become valuable one day, so be it. I will still not sell mine. One should buy cars for the love of the car, not as an investment. That's what the stock market is for. Enjoy your Evos and take care of them. The real value is that smile you get on your face when you drive it, no matter what age you are.
Old Mar 6, 2011, 07:01 PM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by sir-eth
This is the way I look at it. I bought my Evo new in 06. I wanted this car because of the amazing performance numbers it puts down and because I respect the formidable 4G63. I plan on taking care of it and keeping it for the rest of my life. I hope to have the same smile on my face when I drive it at the age of 60 that I have now. If it does become valuable one day, so be it. I will still not sell mine. One should buy cars for the love of the car, not as an investment. That's what the stock market is for. Enjoy your Evos and take care of them. The real value is that smile you get on your face when you drive it, no matter what age you are.
For me the best value is my 4 year old son saying stuff like. Wow, daddy's car is fast or daddy's car goes ROOOOOOMMMMMMMM RRRROOOOMMM (while air shifting). I love the love my son has for my car.

I understand not everyone has that joy but for me that is even better than the enjoyment I get from the car.
Old Mar 6, 2011, 08:27 PM

I did just check KBB for my car and RETAIL with my miles came in at 29,000
Mind you that is retail and as they say the starting point for negotiations.
I use to check my blue book value often. Not so much any more. I Will say the Retail is higher now than it was a year ago.
Old Mar 7, 2011, 11:10 AM

If you're worried about what your car is worth then you must be planning on selling it, in which I would say either sell it now or put it in a plastic bubble and wait 40+ years in hopes that it will be worth something in the future.

If you want an investment, buy gold. These are performance cars, they are meant to be driven and enjoyed.