Notices
Evo General Discuss any generalized technical Evo related topics that may not fit into the other forums. Please do not post tech and rumor threads here.
Sponsored by: RavSpec - JDM Wheels Central

Mitsubishi belt tensioners are ****

Search this Thread

Old Mar 7, 2011, 09:37 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Mitsubishi belt tensioners are ****

Well just broke my second tensioner while replacing the serpinetine belt. The metal where you put the 1/4 inch brewaker bar has given out twice on me now. WTF??? I've never had this problem on all my years of working and fixing cars.... any suggestions on what to do?
Old Mar 7, 2011, 10:05 AM
Evolved Member

Edit, I completely misread what you wrote.. my bad..

And it's 1/2" breaker bar, not 1/4"..

Last edited by tkklemann; Mar 7, 2011 at 10:07 AM.
Old Mar 7, 2011, 10:51 AM

Thanks that's helpful. Sorry I make spelling error on the computer.
Old Mar 7, 2011, 12:15 PM
Evolving Member

i have a extra pm me if your interested.
Old Mar 7, 2011, 05:05 PM

I'm honestly going to try and buy one new because I just bought a used one and the casting just gave way to the stress of the breaker bar pulling it back
Old Mar 7, 2011, 05:30 PM
Evolved Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Don't feel bad. I've probably broken 5 timing belt tensioner rods by not paying attention and threading them in too far.
Old Mar 7, 2011, 07:21 PM
Evolved Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
The tensioner should not be pried on it has a spot on it to use a 1/2 in rachet. Stop doing it wrong and you wont break tensioners.
Old Mar 7, 2011, 07:32 PM
Evolved Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
how far are you pulling them back??? and to the others... its the serpentine belt not the timing... and he mentioned he's using the ratchet socket.... so stop being a dick...

back to OP... i am sure that you are aware since you have so much experience... but to be sure... you know there is a key hole on the tensioner... you pull it back and slide in a "thing" i use and allen key... to lock it back so that you dont need to keep tension on in? i've never had a problem other then the wrench slipping and busting my knuckle...
Old Mar 7, 2011, 10:08 PM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by joseph143
how far are you pulling them back??? and to the others... its the serpentine belt not the timing... and he mentioned he's using the ratchet socket.... so stop being a dick...

back to OP... i am sure that you are aware since you have so much experience... but to be sure... you know there is a key hole on the tensioner... you pull it back and slide in a "thing" i use and allen key... to lock it back so that you dont need to keep tension on in? i've never had a problem other then the wrench slipping and busting my knuckle...
This. The allen key to lock it in really makes life easier.
Old Mar 7, 2011, 10:10 PM
Evolved Member

you're doing it wrong. that's why it's breaking. it's not mitsubishi's fault. it's yours.
Old Mar 7, 2011, 10:55 PM

I did not pry on the part at all. i slipped a allen key into the two holes once you pull the tensioner back far enough. The new part I got had a bad bearing in the pulley. I was going to put the pulley from the first tensioner onto the new part. I tried to do the exact same thing I did to put it on allen key and all and the metal casting gave way and now have no spot to put my breaker bar into to even get it to the point where the allen key can be slid in to hold it.

I mean I'm following to the tee 100% procedure to replace the part/belt. I'll post pictures of the broken part in the AM
Old Mar 7, 2011, 11:22 PM
Evolved Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
had this happen to a friend. barely put pressure on it and the housing broke. no clue if he ever got it fixed but it shouldnt be hard or expensive to do.

hope it doesnt happen to mine anytime soon