Notices
Evo General Discuss any generalized technical Evo related topics that may not fit into the other forums. Please do not post tech and rumor threads here.
Sponsored by: RavSpec - JDM Wheels Central

buyin a used evo with damage, need advice

Search this Thread

Old Mar 9, 2011, 06:33 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
buyin a used evo with damage, need advice

hi there,
i am going to check out a evo 8 with frontal-side damage. the seller is sayin the hood, fender and bumper needs to be replaced. do you guys have an idea about how much will it cost to fix it. also what would the car worth it is a 05 evo 8 with 60K miles on it. from the pics most of the damage is on the side on the fender and the front looks clean

also when i go to check out the car what are the things i should look for that may be a total red sign or need to check... the seller said it happened in the snow when he rear ended a car.

why a wrecked one, well bcoz i dont have the money to buy one in good condition.

any comments, suggestion, advice is much appreciated...
Old Mar 9, 2011, 06:47 AM
Evolving Member

I bought my Evo when it had 3 front end collisions (1 w/ deployed airbags) on the Carfax, whine of death on the t-case, and a notchy transmission. I bought it knowing it was a project car and not expecting it to be reliable. About 8K later, I still feel it's not a reliable car yet.

Point is, sooner or later you're going to have to dump some money into it, and if you can only afford a broken one, I would rethink buying one. It's better to save and buy one you will like.
Old Mar 9, 2011, 07:36 AM
Evolved Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
if you can do the work on your own. it would be a good project but if you will need to get someone fix it then i don't think it will be worth it.
Old Mar 9, 2011, 07:42 AM
Evolved Member

Coming from this type of situation with other cars: nissan maxima, and 240sx that had body damage. It all looked "fixable with some body work" but after taking it to a dealer ship that was reliable and then a body shop both told me the structural integrity has been affected and it wouldnt be cheap. chassis work and body repair should not be taken lightly and is not something you skimp on, so you're better off getting an excellent condition high mileage evo rather than an accident ridden one. save up some cash and get a used one. until then read the forums. itll be worth it when you get the right one. i waited a few months to get my low mileage used accident free as opposed to buying one i wasnt sure of etc.
Old Mar 9, 2011, 07:48 AM

well the idea was to get the car and except for the painting try to fix it myself....here is a attached pic of the car with the damage....tell me wat do you guys think....and also how much u think it is worth it...the seller says there is no frame damage just cosmetic...
Attached Images  
Old Mar 9, 2011, 07:52 AM

Thanks Jrah2987, andrewzaragoza & Broham for your response

i know what you guys are sayin but lookin at the pic i thot it was not much damage hence was interested let me know wat u guys think lookin at the pic...
Old Mar 9, 2011, 08:32 AM
Evolved Member

Received 99 Likes on 79 Posts
just take it to a body shop and have them inspect it and quote you on fixing it
Old Mar 9, 2011, 08:36 AM
Evolved Member

Like demon said man. The eye can't always see what you "think" is okay. I thought the old 240 just had a bent front bumper and dented radiator but i was wrong. Take it to a "reputable" body shop that is familiar with structural body work and not just paint and replacing bumpers. IF they tell you all you need is so and so parts, then you're golden. what its worth will ultimately depend on your findings. find out from shop then we can better gauge according to market values. it will have a salvage title so that will be a huge savings and the accident helps but a final number cant be guessed till you know body shop results
Old Mar 9, 2011, 09:41 AM

^ That car will not have a salvage title btw..
Old Mar 9, 2011, 10:03 AM
Evolved Member

so the insurer didn't deem it salvage, well then it'll be more expensive for u
Old Mar 9, 2011, 10:21 AM
Evolving Member

I had my car in a hit in run and fender bender.

the hit and run [car was parked] tore up my front bumper, fender and headlight.

mine is an 06 evo ix gsr ssl

cost insurance company 2,500~

I personally would buy my car over and over since I know the damage done did not cause frame damage. I have the police reports, pictures, and parts list of everything that has been changed out caused by each accident.

I am not a douche bag and would only sell it as I would buy it. That's why though I am trying to get mine sold at this point due to loss of job. All things are going to be fixed before sold.

I won't probably get my money back from fixing it but it gives me the piece of mind when I sell it and the buyer askes any questions. I have all the information and know I have a damn good car for sale and your lucky I'm honest and have the documents pictures, videos, etc to prove everything.

If the seller is the same then you should be fine. definitely make sure no structural damage though.********
Old Mar 9, 2011, 11:07 AM

NJ_evoIXgsr: is it possible for you to pm me the pics of the damage that was done to your car for the fender, bumper and headlight? since it is pretty much the same just wanted to get an idea of the damage.

Broham: the car doesnt have a salvage title. the owner is not going thru insurance since has a suspended DL and is the main reason for him to sell the car.
Old Mar 9, 2011, 11:23 AM
EvoM Guru

Received 41 Likes on 40 Posts
I take it he must own with no lein, or have the ability to pay it of instantly.??
Old Mar 9, 2011, 11:24 AM
Evolved Member

Received 99 Likes on 79 Posts
You should probably find a new car. Everything about this one screams that it's a scam. If he'd been a good driver in the first place, his license wouldn't have been suspended. My guess is the car has been abused also, despite having decent miles on it.

Keep saving and find a better car. 03-04 are far cheaper than 05-06, and since you're on a budget those are the years you should be looking for. The pictures thatNJ_evoISgsr took will be "useless" to you as they don't tell any of the story of your car, only his. It's like getting a beautiful hooker (if possible?); sure the outside is great, but it's what inside that you can't see that will really bite you in the ***.
Old Mar 9, 2011, 11:24 AM
EvoM Guru

Received 41 Likes on 40 Posts
also he rear ended a car, but the side has more damage than the front? pop the hood, measure the frame rails to something consistent and you know is good.. IE another evo. If theres frame damage which is often hard to tell, its a CAN of worms that totally makes it 10x harder than fenders hood and bumper.

Quick Reply: buyin a used evo with damage, need advice