Notices
Evo General Discuss any generalized technical Evo related topics that may not fit into the other forums. Please do not post tech and rumor threads here.
Sponsored by: RavSpec - JDM Wheels Central

Sunroof just won't work right...

Search this Thread

Old Apr 6, 2011, 08:02 AM
Evolving Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Sunroof just won't work right...

I just picked up a Evo 9 SSL from CA about a week ago. The original owner said that the sunroof was not working (he thought it was something with the fuse) which was no big deal to me, since I figured I would just get a new fuse. When I got back to WA, I decided to investigate the issue with it. When I pressed the button I heard the motor spinning and while corning I could hear something in the headliner sliding from side to side...ouch!

So I did some research on the forums and found that the retaining screws for the motor had probably come out and with the great help of some How-To's I was able to completely disassembly everything and remove the headliner. I found the replacement screws at a store and went to work to re-mount the motor. Before I put everything back together I wanted to make sure everything would be working properly. I used the technique of setting the motor into the full open position then mounted it and having pushed the sunroof myself into the full open position as well.

Here is my issue. When pressing the sunroof button to close, it slides very slowly as though there is something on the rails (which I checked...nothing there). Also when it just reaches the forward most position and is about to tilt up to be fully closed/sealed, the the right side apparently starts to jump the tracks. So the lefts side tries to continue to close by going up and pressing very hard on the roof since the right side is "behind" it and I can hear the roof line popping from the flex. And there is no way I am even going to try using the tilt-up function. The stupid thing slides evenly all the way until that last second and tries to close at an angle EVERY SINGLE TIME. At the moment I cant even got the back side to seal up to the roof line, so some water is getting through.

I have messed with this for 3 days now with no luck. I have even removed the rails/brackets that hold the whole unit in place and taken everything out of the car to try and understand the issue. Please if anyone has had this issue before or know how I can solve this issue it would be very much appreciated. Thanks

Sorry for the long post
Old Apr 12, 2011, 07:37 AM
Evolving Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Bump...nobody knows?
Old Apr 12, 2011, 11:15 AM
Evolved Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
check to see if the track itself is broken, when i bought my evo it had a sunroof that didnt work, replaced fuse, worked, but wouldnt full open/close, did like you did remove headliner, replaced the screws, re installed it periodically check the track for dust /dirt, which you did, which the next thing i would assume to be would lube the track and when you reinstall it, make sure that the screws are even height on both sides and then tighten them all down equally...that would be my best guess for u without lookin at it...good luck, report back.