Notices
Evo General Discuss any generalized technical Evo related topics that may not fit into the other forums. Please do not post tech and rumor threads here.
Sponsored by: RavSpec - JDM Wheels Central

Should I put my modded evo back to stock to sell it?

Old Jul 11, 2016, 08:00 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
in my town EVO's are so hard and rare to come by, definitely would keep it .
Old Jul 28, 2016, 03:50 PM

Definitely rather see a car with the mods than a car returned to stock form. That way the seller can adjust the price to the buyer if necessary.
Old Aug 1, 2016, 12:48 PM
rk7

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Think it really comes down to each specific case. If its a low mileage build with a few bolt ons, it may be worth converting it back to stock. Especially here in the Midwest where it appears cars that are stock command a higher premium those that have been "molested". Then again, each market is different. I've seen crappy built cars go for more than stock :?
Old Aug 17, 2016, 03:00 AM

Definitely stock. I have seen stock car goes for higher than highly modded ones. I guess the reason is buyers of the evo want to stamp their own brand of personalisation to the car.
Old Aug 30, 2016, 06:40 PM

If I was selling my Evo I would keep her modded, and provide the buyer with as much original parts as well. An act of good faith, and that way they can mix and match which parts that they'd like, until they build the car of their dreams.
Old Sep 6, 2016, 07:27 PM

keep modded unless you can sell more stock
Old Sep 9, 2016, 10:07 AM
EvoM Community Team Leader

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
Originally Posted by GordonVIII
If I was selling my Evo I would keep her modded, and provide the buyer with as much original parts as well. An act of good faith, and that way they can mix and match which parts that they'd like, until they build the car of their dreams.
This. If you're unfortunate to try to sell it modified vs stock, keep it modified but keep the stock parts. That would give max value.
Old Nov 3, 2016, 05:45 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
So I shouldn't immediately discard the OEM parts? Woops.
Old Jan 22, 2017, 12:30 PM

Depends on how extensive the return to stock would be. If you don't have the ability to do it yourself and are paying a shop labor, the cost to go back to stock plus the difference in cost of selling the parts might not even make it worthwhile
Old Dec 12, 2017, 11:53 PM

good idea
Old Feb 16, 2018, 04:39 PM

Thanks for the info.. I'm still trying to decide whether to leave my AB exhaust or put the stock muffler back on before selling...
Old Feb 16, 2018, 04:54 PM
Evolved Member

Received 59 Likes on 49 Posts
What is the intention of returning back to stock ? I hope its not so you can post it for sale as “stock never modified” .

Here is my opinion when I was looking for Evo’s. Stock never modified is worth less. Modified close to what I’m looking for was more valuable. Mods that I was not interested in I saw as opportunity to sell and get some money back. Cars modified then returned back to stock, I had zero interest unless they were in mint condition body as well as a price tag that was so low it felt too good to be true. Otherwise returned back to stock was a definite no!

When you find an Evo returned back to stock, the buyers dont know what condition those stock parts are ... Did the owner keep the original parts to reinstall or buy ****ty condition used ones for cheap just to save money return stock and sell etc... ?
Old Apr 25, 2018, 10:06 AM
Evolving Member

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
I agree on leaving it modded. My saying is there is an *** for every seat. So someone will be looking for exactly what you have. Returned to stock (of done by dishonest people) is a red flag as a problem cover up.
Old Jun 14, 2018, 06:35 PM

I would hope you don't put it back to stock and try to sell it as if it were never modded. As of now stock evos are quite valuable. If I had a stock evo I would probably leave it stock and buy a modded one to beat on. The stock car will be worth a lot of money in 10 or 20 years.
Old Nov 5, 2018, 05:34 AM

Great info here!

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Should I put my modded evo back to stock to sell it?