Notices
Evo General Discuss any generalized technical Evo related topics that may not fit into the other forums. Please do not post tech and rumor threads here.
Sponsored by: RavSpec - JDM Wheels Central

Street tune VS Dyno tune

Old Apr 17, 2011, 01:40 PM
Evolved Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
My street VS dyno was maybe 20 HP at the most, same tuner. We just tweaked it here and there.

But yeah. With no traffic.
Old Apr 17, 2011, 02:04 PM
Evolved Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by gsrboi80
I drive my car on the street. I'll tune my car on the street
Short, sweet, and straight to the point. Dyno tunes cost more, but dyno's are only "mimicking" the load from a road. If you have a safe stretch of road away from lots of traffic, why not just do it right the first time? If you don't have a place to tune on the street, then a dyno is your best bet.
Old Apr 17, 2011, 02:06 PM
Evolving Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by bigben
Short, sweet, and straight to the point. Dyno tunes cost more, but dyno's are only "mimicking" the load from a road. If you have a safe stretch of road away from lots of traffic, why not just do it right the first time? If you don't have a place to tune on the street, then a dyno is your best bet.
Sadly where I live a speeding ticket costs as much as a dyno tune.
Old Apr 17, 2011, 02:25 PM
Evolving Member

Wow.. I think I'm more surprise by the lack of real good information that is being provided to the Topic Poster.

Dyno Tuning:
Pros: Consistency, Accuracy. When you tune on a Dyno regardless if it's a low reading dyno or a high reading dyno.. It's a tool to measure results. Dyno Numbers should only be used as a measurement tool and not really comparable to other cars on other dynos. When Tuning having a dyno is very useful as it's a controlled environment. On Street Tunes often the road elevation may rise or lower often changing the load and boost levels. You may even be hitting potholes or bumps on the road causing sensors to knock. In short if you want consistent and accurate results always start by Tuning on the Dyno.

Street Tune:
It's definitely cheaper, not as safe but will give good estimates to where the car is in real life situations. The problem in Street tuning is overheating as it takes a while to find a spot or the amount of Gas that is being used to find a safe place to punch it. You run the risk of getting pulled over since you are breaking the law everytime you make a pull. Not to mention it is not very safe.

My recommendation: Get a Dyno tune first to tune the car in a controlled environment where you can see actual changes to variables changed within the ECU. Once you have it pretty dialed in.. Go and get a street tune for maximum effectiveness. You can't go wrong with this method.. Is it more expensive.. Ofcourse but this will yield the best results.

If I had to choose between the two I'd get a Dyno Tune as you'll get more accurate/consistent results.

Last edited by Jedi_Gill; Apr 17, 2011 at 02:36 PM.
Old Apr 17, 2011, 02:32 PM
Evolved Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by Anonymouse
Sadly where I live a speeding ticket costs as much as a dyno tune.
Well if you're to dumb enough to drive down a street while speeding without checking out the spot first, then you deserve a ticket. Tickets can easily be avoided.

Originally Posted by Jedi_Gill
You may even be hitting potholes or bumps on the road causing sensors to knock.
Just pick a street that isn't under construction, sigh. In my area the streets are pretty bad, but i can still find a stretch of road thats smooth, and im sure everyone else can in their area. Why would anyone do a log in a street that has potholes?
Old Apr 17, 2011, 02:38 PM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by ezzey
Well if you're to dumb enough to drive down a street while speeding without checking out the spot first, then you deserve a ticket. Tickets can easily be avoided.

Just pick a street that isn't under construction, sigh. In my area the streets are pretty bad, but i can still find a stretch of road thats smooth, and im sure everyone else can in their area. Why would anyone do a log in a street that has potholes?
1.Tickets can easily be avoided by not committing the crime in the first place. Getting a ticket would be the least of my concerns, Getting into an accident would be number 1.

2. Aside of finding a smooth road as you suggest, Elevation is something that isn't easily avoided, There are usually bumps in the road no matter how nice the road is paved. I may have exaggerated by using the potholes word but in general I'd like to have a pretty accurate tune before ever doing a street tune from scratch.
Old Apr 17, 2011, 02:41 PM
Evolved Member

Received 45 Likes on 41 Posts
Over heating???? On the road with real air pushed against the car. Hell no. If its gonna overheat on the road it'll overheat on the dyno quicker.

Guess I'm lucky where I frequent to have a few secluded nice roads to properly log on. Consistant and accurate everytime

If you don't live somewhere this is possible pay for dyno tuning.
Old Apr 17, 2011, 02:49 PM
Evolved Member

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts
First off let me just say that the guys at Stritctly Modified are great guys to deal with! I'm pretty sure Devin (aka Devin Tuned/Boostin Performance) still does their tuning for them and I've heard and seen nothing but great results from his tuning!

As far as the dyno vs. street tune goes, I personally prefer a street tune because I like seeing how the car reacts in real world conditions. Plus, with the Virtual Dyno programs available now, you can get a pretty accurate reading on what kind of power you're putting down. As far as safety goes, obviously the dyno is safer and will keep you from getting pulled over but a good tuner knows his area and likely already knows of several roads that he can tune on where traffic and police aren't an issue.
Old Apr 17, 2011, 04:51 PM
Evolving Member

The only way I see someone getting in an accident is if they one can't handle there car at a certain power level or two ur doing pulls while there is some kind of traffic
Old Apr 17, 2011, 05:40 PM
Evolved Member

Dyno for initial tune then street tune to fine tune and finish it off.
Old Apr 17, 2011, 11:48 PM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by SmurfZilla
Dyno for initial tune then street tune to fine tune and finish it off.
+1 to this. Get a dyno tune and then tweak it slightly on the street
Old Apr 18, 2011, 08:56 AM
Evolved Member

Dyno Tuning can be used to get a great map together because you can hold the car at specific condition so the tuner can dial in the correct value for that specific load point on your map. Its safer and at the same time more expensive. Not ruling out road tuning, because yes it does put the car in that real world condition and gives the tuner data under actual conditions for that fine tuning your looking for. Both have their benefits, but ive never heard anyone have a bad experience from the right tuner on a dyno, or a street tune. In the end it's up to you the driver/owner; do you want to put your car at risk road tuning? Is your tuner well experienced? Does the tuner back his product wither it be done on a dyno or the street? Its all up to you to determine that. Good luck

-Stephen
Old Apr 18, 2011, 12:54 PM
Evolved Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
I'll completely agree that a FRESH out tune should be done on a dyno since it is a controller environment. I just find it a little funny when people say things like

-you can get a speeding ticket
-you have to be careful not to get into an accident

^^ while logging.

Both those things can easily be avoided, unless you just can't drive worth a beans, and you spin out or do something completely retarded ;o
Old Apr 18, 2011, 09:15 PM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by cumminsracer14
Can a street tune be as good as a dyno tune. I was going to get tuned by ams but dont want to wait till 5/28 so i was going to go to strictly modified but they street tune so im just making sure that street tuning is just as good. Any info on this or strictly modified would be great. Thanks

To the OP.. Over at Strictly you can get your car dyno tuned. Just tell Cisco that you'd like to get tuned on the dyno, and it won't be a problem. Cisco and the guys at Strictly use/borrow Boomba racing's mustang dyno which is literally next door. I believe there is an additional $50 dollar dyno rental charge on top of the tune which I think comes to $350 total. Which includes a boost leak test (talk to Cisco, I think if any little hoses needs replaced its free of charge.. but just ask to make sure), and a WB02 installed, also if you don't have a WB bung in your downpipe, they'll just take out your rear 02 during the tuning process... you can't keep it.. already asked.. and they'll also look over your car for any leaks to make sure everything is good to go. I'm in the process of nagging my wife to finally get tuned, so I'm nearly 100% positive all the above info is correct.

I'm pretty sure Devin still does the tuning, even though he's at boomba now, but regardless your in great hands at Strictly. I've been going there for a few years now, and I'd choose them over AMS any day.. been there, done that.. and to me it's worth more to walk into a business and they know my name when I come through the door, rather than having to drop a lot of $$ to get that same treatment.

Just my 02.. Call up Cisco at Strictly and don't worry about it.

Nate
Old Apr 19, 2011, 07:44 AM

I would agree with the street tune as your tuning around true load/driving conditions as opposed to trying to just put out nice numbers, with that said, a dyno tune on a mustang dyno is the closet to factored driving condition as you can get, hence why it displays lower numbers, and why no one likes them lol

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Street tune VS Dyno tune