Notices
Evo General Discuss any generalized technical Evo related topics that may not fit into the other forums. Please do not post tech and rumor threads here.
Sponsored by: RavSpec - JDM Wheels Central

Buying an Evo with 90k Miles

Old May 17, 2011, 07:46 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Buying an Evo with 90k Miles

Hello, I have a question about buying an Evo that has 90k miles on it. Is it even worth buying? He wants 10k and its in fair shape. Its just the base Evo, with exhaust, intake, and 1000cc injectors.

Thanks
Old May 17, 2011, 08:10 AM
Evolved Member

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts
year? interior/exterior condition?
Old May 17, 2011, 08:16 AM

2003 interior is amazing, exterior is eh okay.
Old May 17, 2011, 08:24 AM
Evolved Member

has the timing belt ever been changed? what about all the maintenance records?
Old May 17, 2011, 08:25 AM
Evolving Member

as long as you don't hear a whining in the tranny or knocking in the engine, I'd personally buy it in a heartbeat right now if you have or are able to get the money for it!
Old May 17, 2011, 08:28 AM

Well I want to take it to a mechanic to get it checked out. I don't want to buy something then pay $2k for a new engine 1000 miles later, ya know?
Old May 17, 2011, 08:33 AM
Evolved Member

okay, maybe its just because I am half asleep and stressed at work, but in no way trying to be a jerk. It just seems that as of late there is a new thread everyday about "is it okay to buy an evo with this many miles" then the same people always chime in (for good reason) about why it is. I do not know his name but hes a regular on here and I have seen him post, his evo is going strong at 224k IIRC.

Do two things first:

A) SEARCH
B) If you want advice on a specific car, thats great. If you could give us as much information about the car as possible we will be able to better determine if its worth it.

For example, reg maintenance done? Docs to prove it? Timing belt? TC whine? weird tranny noises? shifts smoothly? what mods? how much boost? whats the AFR like? who installed/tuned the car? one owner? clean carfax? no accidents? location (salt, snow, lots of rain)? Stock clutch? raced/DD? condition of interior/exterior (good indication of taking care of the small stuff)? do you have pictures of the car? boost leak/leak down/compression test? Why is the owner selling? is the car on the forums? etc etc etc the list goes on and on.....

For an evo, any evo in good condition w/ ONLY 90k on it, I would be hesitant bc it is only 10k. that is low, regardless of year/miles if it is in good mechanical order.

Not trying to be a a$$, as most of us, including me, would be more than happy to help. but we need more than the miles, year, and "exhaust" mods.

regardless, gl with your decision and hopefully you find a car that you love. cheers
Old May 17, 2011, 08:35 AM
Evolved Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
yes first step is to have it inspected by a mechanic first and that will make the buying choice easier. Personally since I have a built one if i can get one cheap like i might jump on it just to have a second car just remember you can always replace whatever is broken depending on what it is and make sure you at least have 2000 saved up reguardless for anything that might happen
Old May 17, 2011, 08:36 AM
Evolving Member

see now ^ is right about the evo is only 10k the body alone without a engine is worth 10k so dude even if the engine is bad you still made out bro, this is a win win situation to me!
Old May 17, 2011, 08:37 AM
Evolved Member

pm me info on where i can buy the car because my gf wants one haha
Old May 17, 2011, 08:39 AM
Evolved Member

Received 14 Likes on 13 Posts
Things I would check.

1. Tires
2. Brakes
3. Turbo, Make sure it makes factory boost
4. Make sure BOV is installed correctly
5. Make sure transmissions shifts smooth
6. Listen for any strange noises

I picked up my evo with 110k on it, and it needed brakes, tires, and a turbo. These were all things I was going to do anyhow so it was not an issue for me. But I would recommend that you check the timing belt also.

If you do buy it, change all fluids right away. My guess is that except the engine oil none of the fluids have been changed. That was the case for my evo.
Old May 17, 2011, 08:39 AM
Evolved Member

Buy it.
Old May 17, 2011, 08:40 AM
Evolved Member

also, if the previous owner has any idea what he is doing in terms of modifying his evo, he most likely installed the 1000cc injectors for a reason. this may be a hint that it was previously modified at a higher level than you are currently seeing it (read larger, maybe stock frame turbo upgrade) and returned it back to relatively stock to help sell.....just my 0.02
Old May 17, 2011, 08:43 AM

That's definitely a tough call.... hmmm... depends how bad you want it and how much you got.
Old May 17, 2011, 08:48 AM
Evolving Member

Man some of you guys think way too much because your evo experts lmao I'd take the chance and buy it right now, I wouldn't care if the motor was done. Like I said no whine from the tranny, I'd buy because a built motor is a way to get a fresh start and you know exactly whats done to the motor. I mean when do you see evo's for 10k...never ever and people on the site have brought evo's for 13k-20k and the motor blow in a week!

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Buying an Evo with 90k Miles