Notices
Evo General Discuss any generalized technical Evo related topics that may not fit into the other forums. Please do not post tech and rumor threads here.
Sponsored by: RavSpec - JDM Wheels Central

First Evo Purchase...Few Questions

Search this Thread

Old May 20, 2011, 07:16 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
First Evo Purchase...Few Questions

So I finally booked plane tickets to go look at an 06 Evo IX in GG halfway across the country. I have been talking to the seller back and forth and receiving pics and videos. Carfax came back one owner super clean. I plan to fly there and inspect and probably take it to the local Mitsubishi dealership and have them inspect and perform a compression test. I do know the only mods the previous owner added are BOV, TBE, intake, and finally alarm system. I do have a few questions...
  • Do you guys know how long the compression test takes once they start?
  • Correct me if I am wrong but I am reading that ideal compression #'s are about 180 per cylinder?
  • Any of you guys know what alarm system they have according to the picture with the key fob?
  • Any tips on how to check for gear grinds? I am guessing I need to take it to the higher rpm's and makes sure it shifts smoothly into each gear?
Oh one other thing, they still have a lien on the title with a bank so I guess as I have the bill of sale I should be fine until the bank sends them the title and they sign then mail it to me?
Attached Thumbnails First Evo Purchase...Few Questions-imag0048.jpg   First Evo Purchase...Few Questions-imag0064.jpg   First Evo Purchase...Few Questions-imag0055.jpg  
Old May 20, 2011, 07:34 AM
Evolved Member

Received 99 Likes on 79 Posts
if they have a lien they don't own the car and they shouldn't ever receive the title. the bank will be the one to sign the title and release it to you.

i'm not a financial expert, but the sale should be done at their bank/credit union/whatever. I'd suggest asking them where the lien is held and calling yourself to see about the easiest way to do the transaction. my guess is doing it at their lien holding place will be easiest, as you will be able to pay the bank for the rest of their loan, and then the bank pays the owner whatever is extra (if any)

also read through https://www.evolutionm.net/forums/ev...r-read-me.html it has a lot of helpful stuff that you should look for
Old May 20, 2011, 08:54 AM
Evolved Member

Received 26 Likes on 22 Posts
How much more do they still owe on the car?
Old May 20, 2011, 09:42 AM
Evolved Member

Received 18 Likes on 13 Posts
Not sure what is going on with that bov recirculation block off. Is that a small hose coming out of it? If he is just blasting to atmosphere, that would tell me what kind of owener this person is. Also who would buy a duralast battery for an evo.. Those things are **** right out of the box. BUT BUT Its got a yellow TOP!!!

As for the comp test it will not take long. Hook up a battery charger, make sure its at operating temp and pull the plugs out and do one at a time. I would say half hour if the shop is not busy.
Old May 20, 2011, 09:45 AM
Evolved Member

I am also under the impression that the bank that has the lein on the car would need to sign once you pay off the balance of the loan.
Old May 20, 2011, 09:46 AM

You will not see numbers as high as 180 in an IX. What's important is that all of the cylinders are about the same. Also do it at WOT and with all plugs removed.

edit: Compression tests take 5-10 minutes

Last edited by r0xah; May 20, 2011 at 09:52 AM.
Old May 20, 2011, 10:03 AM

I'd say a compression check at a dealer will probably take 30 mins from start to finish.

Not sure on what the compression #'s on a IX but that seems pretty high to me. All compression testers read a bit different as well, so like stated above its nice to see them all within the same range and not super, super, low.

The only way to see if it grinds at high rpm's it to try and shift at high rpm's

I'd also find out who the loan is through and contact that bank/credit union directly and ask how they perfer to do the transaction. After all, they are the ones that own the car.
Old May 20, 2011, 05:32 PM

I am going to have the dealership do it as I am going to be out of town with no tools. Any idea what kind of alarm they have judging by the key fob?
Old May 20, 2011, 05:47 PM
Evolving Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Don't know about that's car looks like they took off the bov and the cheap battery don't help and there's a lien on the title not a good thing they should own the car if they are a dealer and that cheap alarm is a prestige key fob with just lock and unlock door which is another cheap thing about the car. Nothing wrong with presitge they make a lot of alarms but that's the cheapes one. If I were you I would keep looking
Old May 20, 2011, 06:35 PM
Evolving Member

plus why is there no Tclamps??? I mean you didn't say how much he's asking but I would look elsewhere I mean you're in Florida right??? You mean to tell me you can't find anything local???
Old May 21, 2011, 08:25 AM

Originally Posted by Berts24
plus why is there no Tclamps??? I mean you didn't say how much he's asking but I would look elsewhere I mean you're in Florida right??? You mean to tell me you can't find anything local???
Been looking for months for a clean IX but can't find anything but EVO's that were modified beyond what I am looking for.
Old May 21, 2011, 09:20 AM

I did the same thing you're about to do except there wasn't a lien on the vehicle. Just about a year ago I flew to Chicago to buy a low mileage GG GSR SSL IX. I brought some tools, including OBDII scanner on the flight just in case. Everything was on the up and up and I drove it back home to NYC the same day. Do a thorough test drive on the car and inspect the undercarriage as well. Taking it to a garage to do a compression test is a good idea also. About the lien I believe you would have to call the bank to get the payoff amount and pay them along with paying the seller any difference, for example if the seller is selling for $6000 and he owes $5000 you would pay the seller $1000 and pay the bank the other $5000 so the title would go straight to you. Keep in mind all this is assuming you are paying cash for the car. If you plan on financing then it's a bit more involved. Make sure you call the bank first before you pay the seller any money to confirm the payoff amount and make it known that you will be the new owner and are paying it off so the title comes straight to you. Good luck on the purchase.
Old May 22, 2011, 03:49 PM

Anybody know of any good shops to swing by while I am in Houston for them to take a look at the car besides any Mitsubishi dealership? A shop that has good history with EVO's
Old May 26, 2011, 05:17 PM

Found out the car has had a total repaint about a year ago and also the transmission was replaced a year after they had the car. I am gonna pass on it and keep looking.
Old May 26, 2011, 06:41 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I know what you feel trying to find an unmolested evo, but you should try to find one with a couple tasteful mods that you'd do yourself that way you'll save money.