Notices
Evo General Discuss any generalized technical Evo related topics that may not fit into the other forums. Please do not post tech and rumor threads here.
Sponsored by: RavSpec - JDM Wheels Central

Getting Rattling can type noise on Decel..

Search this Thread

Old Jun 20, 2011, 04:33 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
My evo did this too..but I figured my rattle out. My turbo down pipe was hitting that lower sub frame cross member tube. Even with the spacers it just barely was touching it causing the rattling noise. I put some more washers in it and no more rattling. The car still makes pretty loud gear noise when on decel in gear and other **** rattles on the car too, but one rattle down...about 3 more to go.
Old Jun 25, 2011, 04:12 PM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by afgtrackstar
you proly have an aftermarket clutch, my evo does this also. i really wouldnt worry about it unless it is really loud. mine i can hear if i have the a/c on or if i really try to hear for it. your good
Exactly.... It does have an aftermarket clutch that had been installed right before I bought it. I checked all the exhaust components and the underside of the car, but to no avail. Still got the sound.. but car is running good with no problems.
Old Jun 25, 2011, 04:37 PM
Evolving Member

have you guys checked the dust sleeve on the driveshaft? Mine did this and it freaked me out until I found it. I thought it was a clutch or transmission issue but it was the dust cover.
Old Jun 25, 2011, 07:15 PM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by GrnEVO
have you guys checked the dust sleeve on the driveshaft? Mine did this and it freaked me out until I found it. I thought it was a clutch or transmission issue but it was the dust cover.
Interesting. Will be checking this out on the next oil change. After driving through a big water puddle my EVO started buzzing around 3000 rpm @ 40 mph. Will also check heat shields. At first could swear it was the ABS pump or the ACD pump. :-/
Old Jun 27, 2011, 02:13 PM

Could be a bunch of things, you need to run it on a lift and inspect. I've seen everything from input shafts gone bad to shredded transfer cases, but the majority of issues are things rubbing from mods so don't start worrying yet.
Old Jun 28, 2011, 09:19 AM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by simmoevo
If so thats your answer. All twin plates rattle on decel.
See, my Exedy twin does not rattle on decel, but it rattles like crazy when shifting between gears. The 1-2 shift rattles the most.
Old Jun 28, 2011, 09:35 AM
Evolving Member

Serious reply check your tire pressure, if the wheels are off your diff will make noise.
Old Jul 30, 2011, 04:56 AM
Evolving Member

Bumping this thread up. I recently had to replace my downpipe and temporarily put the stock DP on while I waited for the new one. But I noticed while on the stock DP that the decel rattle had reduced considerably, almost to none at all. I got my new 3" downpipe, put it on, rattle is noticeably worse. I also had to put spacers on the tie bars so there's about 1/4" gap (is that enough?).

I'm going to do a test drive without the tie bars on but does anyone have any other suggestions ? I'm almost thinking of going back to the stock DP and accept the minor power loss just to reduce that rattle.

Same rattle as everyone else, decel rattle more noticeable in 4th/5th gears.
Old Jul 30, 2011, 11:36 AM
Evolving Member

Well it's not the tie bars, I removed them and test drove the car. Same old rattle.
Old Mar 30, 2019, 07:02 AM

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Op did you ever fix this problem or figure out what it was?
Old Mar 30, 2019, 03:17 PM
Evolving Member

Received 35 Likes on 26 Posts
I've had this for over a year now after some drivetrain work (new t-case). I believe it started when the trans was reinstalled in a sloppy way. Some theories are throwout bearing or input shaft bearing, something like that. I remember reading that it's possible to rest the transmission on something while putting it back in which could cause this.

I don't remember the exact details but it's an obnoxious deceleration noise that's harmless, even though it sounds like something is seriously wrong. Happens ONLY when decelerating in gear, silent with the clutch in, acceleration or idle. I gave up.
Old Apr 2, 2019, 06:31 AM

Yes same here. I have a built jacks trans with RS lsd and an overhauled tcase so it leads me away from thinking it’s any of those. The noise is horrible and it honestly sounds like someone is shaking a can of rocks on deceleration. I just wanted to make sure it was somewhat normal.
Old Apr 3, 2019, 08:49 AM

sounds like a throw out bearing to me. mine made that exact sound and when i put in my 6 puck i took out the old bearing and it was beyond toast.
Old Apr 4, 2019, 09:58 AM

But if it was a throwout bearing wouldn’t it have failed by now? It doesn’t seem to mess with the cars drivibility at all. It just seems like an annoying noise.
Old Apr 4, 2019, 03:29 PM

no, i had a bad throwout bearing that was loud as hell that went on for about 4 months until i got it fixed. i got lucky it didnt go out on me until i got it replaced when i did my clutch.
DO NOT NEGLECT A BAD THROW OUT BEARING. the noise is there to tell you its bad.

Quick Reply: Getting Rattling can type noise on Decel..