Notices
Evo General Discuss any generalized technical Evo related topics that may not fit into the other forums. Please do not post tech and rumor threads here.
Sponsored by: RavSpec - JDM Wheels Central

Getting Rattling can type noise on Decel..

Search this Thread

Old Apr 4, 2019, 03:45 PM

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
I get what you are saying. I’ve had bad throwout bearings before and and they don’t really sound like this. And this doesn’t affect the clutch feel or anything. All gears go in perfectly and the transmission is built as well as a brand new clutch with monoloc. I’m not doubting your knowledge, the noise just doesn’t seem like it’s in that area or feels like it’s in that area.
Old Apr 4, 2019, 05:30 PM
Evolved Member

Received 144 Likes on 128 Posts
Originally Posted by Name User
I've had this for over a year now after some drivetrain work (new t-case). I believe it started when the trans was reinstalled in a sloppy way. Some theories are throwout bearing or input shaft bearing, something like that. I remember reading that it's possible to rest the transmission on something while putting it back in which could cause this.

I don't remember the exact details but it's an obnoxious deceleration noise that's harmless, even though it sounds like something is seriously wrong. Happens ONLY when decelerating in gear, silent with the clutch in, acceleration or idle. I gave up.
I remember one of the regulars here having a similar problem after having a clutch done. After much inspection it was found that a metal power steering line had been bent and was rubbing the transmission housing. That line is in the way if you force the install. Anyway, easy to check for, just trace the line along the back side of the transmission. There should be clearance.
Old Apr 4, 2019, 06:54 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
and it may totally not be dude. it just sounds like a TOB to me from my personal experience. but it could also very well be what BARNEY is saying too. i know those lines are very close to the tranny. even still it could be something even more totally bizarre. good luck getting if figured out. would be interested to know what it is if you figure it out.
Old Apr 4, 2019, 10:01 PM
Evolving Member

Received 35 Likes on 26 Posts
I thought the steering line was the low speed coasting clunk that happens regardless of gear, not the deceleration buzz? I got both problems.

Non-Evo people think we're nuts when we hear a new noise. How can we possible tell the difference between the exhaust drone, the the brake squeal, the throwout bearing buzz, dash rattle, lower manifold heatshield and the power steering line? It's total chaos
Old Apr 5, 2019, 06:15 AM

Here’s another vid I captured in cabin. It almost sounds like a rotating noise. It feels like it is near the front passenger wheel almost. But all the shields are fine. I’ll just have to run it on a lift to find out.

https://imgur.com/a/nkOWof1?s=sms
Old Apr 5, 2019, 06:54 AM
EvoM Guru

Received 76 Likes on 57 Posts
Quattlebot, what clutch is in your car? I have an embarrassing deceleration rattle and have had it for 4 or 5 years. Mine is attributed to a comp lightweight flywheel combined with all of the poly/solid mounts in my driveline. I can only faintly hear the noise in your videos so I can't really comment on what I'm hearing, but your description of rocks in a can sounds about right.
Old Apr 5, 2019, 07:03 AM

It’s a comp stage 4 it might have the lightweight fly wheel but I’m not sure. I do I have whiteline bushings as well and some new tie rod ends. The previous owner upgraded that stuff before I bought. I’m sure it contributes to the noise from what I’ve read.
Old Apr 5, 2019, 06:52 PM
Evolved Member

Received 109 Likes on 99 Posts
its not the tob... its the clutch flywheel rattle.
i dont know any fix for it,

my theory is it is a harmonic rattle on some of these lightweight flywheels
Old Apr 10, 2020, 07:37 PM
Evolved Member

Received 22 Likes on 19 Posts
Originally Posted by hutch959
its not the tob... its the clutch flywheel rattle.
i dont know any fix for it,

my theory is it is a harmonic rattle on some of these lightweight flywheels
same thing here comp stage 4 with comp flywheel. I've built drivetrain new everything still there. Noise seemed to get a little louder when I switched to comp flywheel from OEM both with a stage 4 comp clutch.
Old Apr 12, 2020, 09:39 AM
Evolved Member

Received 66 Likes on 53 Posts
The rattle is due to lightweight flywheel not damping out torsional vibrations from the engine and it is rattling all of the gears/splines against their backlash. Thats why it only happens on decel, as otherwise there is enough torque to keep everything from rattling.

Put a stock flywheel (or something with equivalent rotational inertia) back in if you want the noise to go away.
The following users liked this post:
SoSoEVO (Jun 16, 2020)
Old Apr 12, 2020, 04:14 PM
Evolved Member

Received 109 Likes on 99 Posts
that makes sense to me.
Old Apr 14, 2020, 10:45 AM

My car is in the shop getting a new clutch, and a rebuilt t-case as we speak. I’ll report back if the noise is still there!
Old May 8, 2020, 06:53 AM

Little update. Noise is completely gone after rebuilding tcase.
Old May 9, 2020, 12:44 AM
Evolving Member

Received 35 Likes on 26 Posts
Originally Posted by Quattlebot
Little update. Noise is completely gone after rebuilding tcase.
Just the t-case? The transmission wasn't touched with this rebuild?
Old May 11, 2020, 09:55 AM

Did the clutch too so that could have been the fix as well. All I know is that the sound is gone and I’m a happy camper. Lol

Quick Reply: Getting Rattling can type noise on Decel..