Notices
Evo General Discuss any generalized technical Evo related topics that may not fit into the other forums. Please do not post tech and rumor threads here.
Sponsored by: RavSpec - JDM Wheels Central

Plan to buy AEM Meth kit. Need advice...

Old Jun 21, 2011, 07:40 PM
Evolved Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Plan to buy AEM Meth kit. Need advice...

I run my car on the street most of the time and will probably only bring my car to the track a couple of times per year at best. Should I get the AEM meth kit with 5Gal tank or 1Gal? My guess would be 5Gal right? How long will 1Gal last me 50/50 mix?

Also, what is the best brand meth (if any) and where do you guys recommend getting it? Thanks!
Old Jun 21, 2011, 08:08 PM
Evolving Member

Interested in this as well....
Old Jun 21, 2011, 11:50 PM
Evolving Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
it depends on how often your getting on the gas enough to cause the spray. 5 gallons is quite a lot and with that you would probably get more than 1 full tank of driving before your would have to refill it. I think you would get 2 tanks or more. Given the 2 options I would suggest the 1 gallon. I run a 5qrt which is 1.25 gallons and It lasts plenty of time.
Old Jun 22, 2011, 06:44 AM
Evolved Member

Anyone else have input? Looking to find out best places to buy the methanol and if thir are "superior" brands as well.
Old Jun 22, 2011, 08:44 AM
Evolved Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
a one gallon tank is all you need. 5 gal is added weight and over kill. its hard for someone to tell you how long it would last you because that depends on how often you drive under the trip point for meth to start spraying, nozzle size, how may nozzles, spray pattern (i.e. progressive or non), when the meth starts spraying, ect.

as for methanol use VP M1 methanol. 5 gal of that mixed at 50/50 lasted me almost 9 months. but it like i said earlier it depends how often you drive with the meth spraying

Last edited by EvoJoeIX; Jun 22, 2011 at 08:46 AM.
Old Jun 22, 2011, 08:48 AM
Evolved Member

Aquamist is the way to go. Best brand out there.
Old Jun 22, 2011, 09:29 AM
Evolved Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I would second that after one of their employee's got on here to defend meth and its uses. I wouldnt run it unless I had no choice.
Old Jun 22, 2011, 09:35 AM
Evolving Member

I would get the 5 gallon. Instead of using meth, I used Denature alcohol(You can get it at any hardware store).
Old Jun 22, 2011, 09:39 AM

i used the aem 1.5 tank 50/50 and it last a good bit
Old Jun 22, 2011, 09:46 AM
Evolved Member

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts
Before buying an AEM kit, I would recommend you do some research on failsafe shutoffs and after shutoff dribbling.

Aquamist is the only kit that I would consider installing on my car for the reasons that their kits have a true fail safe to protect your motor in the event of clogging, running out, or other similar events, which can grenade your motor QUICK, and stop when they are supposed to, rather than dribbling out half a line of extra meth...
Old Jun 22, 2011, 09:51 AM

5gal tank is overkill as a previous poster outlined. I have the 1gal tank and it lasts plenty long. Make sure you get some sort of failsafe, at the very least a wastegate bypass solenoid which will trip you to wastegate boost if your AEM controller detects an electrical fault or a low fluid level condition.
Old Jun 22, 2011, 10:46 AM
Evolved Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by JonahEVO
I would get the 5 gallon. Instead of using meth, I used Denature alcohol(You can get it at any hardware store).
alcohol is a lot more expensive then meth and meth makes more power
Old Jun 22, 2011, 10:55 AM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by EvoJoeIX
alcohol is a lot more expensive then meth and meth makes more power
Agreed. I ran VP M1 in my WRX with great results. 50/50 VP M1/Distilled water is the way to go.

Also, 1 gallon tank would be more then enough. I had a 3 gallon tank in my WRX that would last me several months. It all depends on how much you get into boost though.
Old Jun 22, 2011, 12:34 PM

Originally Posted by BenJ
Aquamist is the way to go. Best brand out there.
I would go Aquamist, much better product....... This is not a part you want to go cheap on, I would check out Aquamist HF-3 or the HF-6. Another great reason to buy Aquamist is the customer service is great.
Old Jun 22, 2011, 03:12 PM
Evolved Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Originally Posted by CO_VR4
Before buying an AEM kit, I would recommend you do some research on failsafe shutoffs and after shutoff dribbling.

Aquamist is the only kit that I would consider installing on my car for the reasons that their kits have a true fail safe to protect your motor in the event of clogging, running out, or other similar events, which can grenade your motor QUICK, and stop when they are supposed to, rather than dribbling out half a line of extra meth...
Yup. This. I ran the AEM meth kit on my turbo RX-8 and was not impressed. The quality of most of the meth kits on the market is really poor. They all use the same pump, but the controller is unbelievably cheap and with no failsafes or shutoffs you are running a huge risk. I personally would never run meth on the Evo after everything I've heard about insufficient meth reaching cylinders and blowing the motor.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Plan to buy AEM Meth kit. Need advice...