Notices
Evo General Discuss any generalized technical Evo related topics that may not fit into the other forums. Please do not post tech and rumor threads here.
Sponsored by: RavSpec - JDM Wheels Central

My 2011 CBRD Long block Build

Search this Thread

Old Aug 25, 2011, 09:41 AM
Evolving Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
My 2011 CBRD Long block Build

Back in June my stock block threw a rod so it was back to the drawing board.

My setup was

Ported 84MM FP Red /FP 84MM Intake / SE OMG Air Filter
BR Street FMIC LICP/UICP
BR TBE
BR MBC
BR Ported Intake/Ex Mani/TB
PTE 1000's
HKS 272's
Walbro 255
MR BOV
Exedy Twin HD
Megan O2
ARP Headstuds

This setup put down around 359hp/319tq on CBRD's Dyno with a CBRD Tune at 26.1PSI on 93 octane. The car did NOT have a CBRD tune on it when the engine failed.

My original goal was 400hp on a MD. I no longer have a specific power goal in mind, I just want the car back on the road. Most likely it will provide more power than I need causing the 6spd to be the next weakest link. It never ends. :P

I'm fortunate to live fairly close to CBRD and I'm happy to say they will be doing this build for me. The process has been in motion for a few weeks now and if all goes well I'll have it back in a month. I took my time researching as I didn't want to rush into any decisions in this process and I'm confident that the 2.0 was the best choice for me.

Here's what's new this time around.

CBRD 2.0
CBRD Spec Head
GSC S2's
Synchronic DV
Perrin Air Filter
3 Port BC
COP (I might add this)

I can't wait to get Eva back. Unfortunately no pictures, but everyone love's CBRD ****. Maybe Chad will throw some in here at some point.

Last edited by Hardware; Aug 25, 2011 at 12:02 PM. Reason: Forgot some parts
Old Aug 25, 2011, 09:46 AM
Account Disabled

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Very nice...Looking forward to Chad posting pics & some updates with your build...And you are correct 6 spd will now be the weakest link...haha...My 6 spd hates me...
Old Aug 25, 2011, 10:06 AM
Account Disabled

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
LOL @ 6 spd comment!

It was unfortunate how the car came to us with a rod poking out- but with a new crank, and block, we are good to go-

Should be pretty awesome, really anxious to tune it with the RED- as most of the time when I tuned stock housing turbos (ours or FP) they are on stock block-

Should be pretty awesome!

cb
Old Aug 25, 2011, 10:14 AM
Account Disabled

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by CBRD
LOL @ 6 spd comment!

cb
haha, its true! I've ran an unsprung 6 puck clutch in my 6 spd for the past 40k miles, Autox events, road course, spirited back road driving, 1/4...I have an easy 150 launches with my 2 step no lower then 6k...haha...

Looking forward to dyno results from the build as I know how your dyno reads!
Old Aug 25, 2011, 10:42 AM
Account Disabled

im sure it will be pretty potent!

the old motor is on the bench- the rod is DISINTEGRATED LOL-

I bet that was loud!

cb
Old Aug 25, 2011, 10:50 AM
Evolved Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
I'm hoping my stock block doesn't go before I have to do a build, but I'm curious OP, what type of driving you do? What made you decide on a built 2.0L?

I'm still really torn on engine displacement for my motor build. Chad, I know you guys do a lot of road racing/time attack stuff rather than drag... what is your preferred motor for time trial? 2.0/2.2/2.3/2.4? I've been leaning towards a 2.3L when I do the build.
Old Aug 25, 2011, 10:51 AM
Evolving Member

How many miles was on this setup? Just wondering why the motor would crap out with that kind of horsepower??
Old Aug 25, 2011, 11:58 AM
Evolving Member

im sure it will be pretty potent!

the old motor is on the bench- the rod is DISINTEGRATED LOL-

I bet that was loud!

cb
I believe the voice in my head saying "HOLY F###" was louder at that moment in time. I think I screamed like a little girl for a second as well.

Originally Posted by blackenedwings
I'm hoping my stock block doesn't go before I have to do a build, but I'm curious OP, what type of driving you do? What made you decide on a built 2.0L?

I'm still really torn on engine displacement for my motor build. Chad, I know you guys do a lot of road racing/time attack stuff rather than drag... what is your preferred motor for time trial? 2.0/2.2/2.3/2.4? I've been leaning towards a 2.3L when I do the build.
It's 99% a daily driver. I may hit the track once or twice with this new setup and nothing else. I was all about the 2.3L for the low end torque and very excited to do it and after researching I did a 180. I simply wasn't comfortable with that option. The most important thing to me is reliability. The rod angle on the 2.3 alone bothers me. I'll be satisfied with a 2.0 with better parts on the inside. I couldn't afford to take a chance. There are many 2.3 owners who love it and I wish them the best.

Originally Posted by BuBBasEVO
How many miles was on this setup? Just wondering why the motor would crap out with that kind of horsepower??
Car just hit 50,000. Bought the car stock appearing at 18,000 but it had a Walbro already in it and there was a broken bolt on the hotside (noticed when I installed the FP Red) so who knows what was done before I bought it. I did all the mods in my list at 38,000.

https://www.evolutionm.net/forums/ev...w-tonight.html

That thread will give you all the info I know on the failure. I wish I could pinpoint the problem to help others, but I can't.

Last edited by Hardware; Aug 25, 2011 at 02:13 PM.
Old Aug 25, 2011, 03:43 PM
Evolved Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Sorry to hear about your old engine. Mine bit the dust back in April. 2 rods through the block so it was pretty epic. I ended up going with a 2.3l engine based on what I want to do with the car. Can't wait to see how your car turns out. You're in good hands with Chad & crew.
Old Aug 26, 2011, 08:19 AM
Account Disabled

there are a few ways to build the motors in varying displacements-

we have started doing lots of 2 liters, with broad power bands from 4500-8500 rpm for the road race cars---

the 2.3's I like too, but we dont do as many, right now 2 are being built, 1 with a winberg crank (thanks to CARZ) and one with a turbo-tuff-

CB
Old Aug 26, 2011, 09:12 AM
Evolved Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
there are a few ways to build the motors in varying displacements-

we have started doing lots of 2 liters, with broad power bands from 4500-8500 rpm for the road race cars---

the 2.3's I like too, but we dont do as many, right now 2 are being built, 1 with a winberg crank (thanks to CARZ) and one with a turbo-tuff-

CB
Hmmm... I keep going back and forth between 2.0L and 2.3L in my mind. A built 2.0L would give me some more revs, but give up 11% torque. The OP is more of a drag racer, so no doubt the 2.0L will be awesome for him, but I'll have to give you a call and pick your brain sometime Chad.
Old Aug 26, 2011, 09:18 AM
Evolved Member

Received 18 Likes on 14 Posts
i didnt think cbrd build motors in house, but i could be wrong
Old Aug 26, 2011, 09:39 AM
Account Disabled

we work with a local machine shop on the machining-

finally decided to bring things in house because of our own reasons with using other suppliers-

our customers so far have been extremely pleased- it was a long time coming-

cb
Old Aug 26, 2011, 09:40 AM
Account Disabled

as far as the 2.0 or 2.3, it really depends on your needs- what you want to spend- the crank being utilized etc-

we are using piston coatings (playing with combustion and oil shedding coatings in race motors) and so forth which adds a little to the cost as it is-

cb
Old Aug 26, 2011, 11:47 AM

Very interested to see how this is going to turn out.

Quick Reply: My 2011 CBRD Long block Build