Notices
Evo General Discuss any generalized technical Evo related topics that may not fit into the other forums. Please do not post tech and rumor threads here.
Sponsored by: RavSpec - JDM Wheels Central

Broke my hvac temperature control knob and shaft

Search this Thread

Old Oct 11, 2011, 10:57 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Broke my hvac temperature control knob and shaft

so last night i tried turning my temperature knob from cold to hot and and it f*cking broke.. it even broke the plastic piece of sh*t shaft. can i just replace the shaft and knob? i had a bad feeling it was going to break eventually.....sob!

i've thinking about this but, this looks pricey and very very time consuming?
https://www.evolutionm.net/forums/ev...ega-guide.html
Old Oct 11, 2011, 11:24 AM
Evolved Member

Mine did the same. Has been broken since my car has been down. I bought a complete new HVAC unit to replace it, but reading after so many threads, I'v gotten confused on the problem. Or does the problem vary?
Old Oct 11, 2011, 11:30 AM
Evolved Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Guess what it sucks to say but that guide is your new best friend. If you broke the temp control know you have to replace the whole unit. Luckily you can use one from a lancer the same year as yours to save money. While your in there you may as well change out your mixer box as that is the problem. Im guessing u have an evo 8 and it was problematic. They didn't have a cabin air filter and dirt would grime up the gears and door in the mixer box leading to a difficult to turn knob. And usually it breaks after a while. The dealer will try to charge you over a grand to fix this and install a new mixer box along with the control unit.

You can find all the parts at mitsubishiparts.net for under 200 bucks. You may as well go ahead and get the revised set of gears that came in the 9s, the control cables, and pick up a cabin filter while your at it to prevent it from happening again. If you search the hvac problem threads you will find the how tos on everything you need to know to fix. Good luck to you.
Old Oct 11, 2011, 11:34 AM
Evolved Member

Look at the part-out threads; you can usually pick up the controller with cables for $50-$60
Old Oct 12, 2011, 11:14 AM

thank you for all the replies! very helpful, i guess ill be looking for online dealers for all the parts to do it, i do not feel like buying used parts and having to do it twice.
Old Nov 28, 2011, 12:35 PM
Evolving Member

Received 11 Likes on 4 Posts
On ebay someone is selling the knobs seperate, I just gotta figure out how to take the knob off. I've disassembled the whole thing, just gotta get in there a little more to dismantle the gears

http://www.ebay.com/itm/2002-04-LANC...ht_1294wt_1139
Old Nov 28, 2011, 12:45 PM
Evolving Member

this person is selling the unit
http://www.ebay.com/itm/02-06-Mitsub...#ht_500wt_1156
Old Nov 28, 2011, 07:41 PM
Evolved Member

Received 144 Likes on 128 Posts
Three years ago I replaced the levers (gears) on the side of the heater box. I had also bought the replacement blend door but all that was required to fix my car was new levers. It is still working fine now.

So, if you broke the knob you will need a new control unit. But, before going to the enormous work of pulling the dash, try new levers.
Old Nov 28, 2011, 07:48 PM
Evolving Member

If you would've gotten to it earlier all you would've had to do is swap out the gears the control the knob under the dash.. best of luck to ya!
Old Nov 28, 2011, 08:06 PM

Mine is broke as well. Glad winter is here. no need to turn knob to cold position.
Old Nov 29, 2011, 09:42 AM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by barneyb
Three years ago I replaced the levers (gears) on the side of the heater box. I had also bought the replacement blend door but all that was required to fix my car was new levers. It is still working fine now.

So, if you broke the knob you will need a new control unit. But, before going to the enormous work of pulling the dash, try new levers.
Originally Posted by usnevo8
If you would've gotten to it earlier all you would've had to do is swap out the gears the control the knob under the dash.. best of luck to ya!
yeah what im going to do is just buy the new unit and then order the parts to replace the gears on the side. that way the new unit wont break as the old one did.
Old Nov 29, 2011, 09:49 AM
Evolved Member

i think i broke mine last week. i havent checked it i just went under the dash and moved it to heat. in spring ill push it back over to cold haha.
Old Nov 29, 2011, 10:06 AM
Evolving Member

The controls in my lancer are broken like that and I have to get another controller now. Ugh so frustrating.
Old Nov 29, 2011, 10:19 AM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by evoxsi
i think i broke mine last week. i havent checked it i just went under the dash and moved it to heat. in spring ill push it back over to cold haha.
If you really dont switch back and forth that much for example you leave your windows down in the summer most of the time, i wouldn't even bother changing the hvac.. I would just go under the dash and manually do it to save money and stress
Old Nov 30, 2011, 10:13 AM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by usnevo8
If you really dont switch back and forth that much for example you leave your windows down in the summer most of the time, i wouldn't even bother changing the hvac.. I would just go under the dash and manually do it to save money and stress
LOL i feel you on that. during the summer leave it on cool air then in winter leave it on heat.

Quick Reply: Broke my hvac temperature control knob and shaft