Notices
Evo General Discuss any generalized technical Evo related topics that may not fit into the other forums. Please do not post tech and rumor threads here.
Sponsored by: RavSpec - JDM Wheels Central

How much for a 60k tune up for Evo IX usually cost? PLEASE HELP! =(

Search this Thread

Old Nov 14, 2011, 02:55 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question How much for a 60k tune up for Evo IX usually cost? PLEASE HELP! =(

I've been asking different shops and they all gave me a different prices and different recommendation on what I should change. Can someone have a look in the list and tell me what to remove and what to add to the tune up? I don't need anything very performance, I just need it tune up the basic way. $1,700 is a bit crazy to me for a tune up, plus I don't even know how much is a reasonable market price for tune up for the Evo IX... I'm really out of budget....

Below is an estimate from FFTec in Hayward quoted for me.

Last edited by Tango|EVOLUTION; Nov 14, 2011 at 03:05 PM.
Old Nov 14, 2011, 02:58 PM
Evolved Member

No list....repost and maybe someone can help.
Old Nov 14, 2011, 03:00 PM

Originally Posted by Boostd4
No list....repost and maybe someone can help.
You don't see the image? it's in image form because when I copy the text from the PDF they sent me it will be all mess up.
Old Nov 14, 2011, 03:01 PM
Former Sponsor

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
The list of parts looks about right. You could probably get by without the spark plug wires, and alternator belt. Then again, those 2 parts are like $100 so I'd go ahead and do it. A huge part of that bill is labor, so if you did the work yourself you save a bit. Also, we've actually got an HKS timing belt and balance belt in stock that are overstock. They're on our eBay store right now.

Also, you could knock off the diff/t-case fluid change and do that yourself in a few weeks.
Old Nov 14, 2011, 03:04 PM
Evolved Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
You can get a timing belt kit for like $580 and labor shouldnt be more then $500 for the timing belt replacement. That doesnt include changing the plugs or drivetrain fluids but that should be no more then a $300 labor included...
EvoM Guru

Received 1,038 Likes on 760 Posts
$1,722.48 isn't $17k

That said, alot of those OEM parts are marked up even over list pricing.

Example are the plug wires for a IX are $49 list

Last edited by razorlab; Nov 14, 2011 at 03:07 PM.

Originally Posted by Vivid Racing
The list of parts looks about right. You could probably get by without the spark plug wires, and alternator belt. Then again, those 2 parts are like $100 so I'd go ahead and do it. A huge part of that bill is labor, so if you did the work yourself you save a bit. Also, we've actually got an HKS timing belt and balance belt in stock that are overstock. They're on our eBay store right now.
I don't know how to do any of the mechanic stuff, so I have to have someone do it. I would do the small things, but how much time do shops usually finish the job? $700 is right?

Originally Posted by razorlab
$1,722.48 isn't $17k
my bad. it was a typo.
Old Nov 14, 2011, 03:06 PM
Evolved Member

Couldn't see the pic, at first...but it appears it's $1,700 vs. $17,000. Might want to shop around on the parts...seems like most of the listed parts are above list prices.
Old Nov 14, 2011, 03:09 PM
Evolved Member

Seems about right, its an expensive job, timing belt jobs are usually 600+ in parts and usually over $1000 total including labor. its a good bit of work. the spark plugs and trans fluid and diff fluids you might as well do especially if you havent done them yet, supposed to be changed every 15k on the trans and diff, everyone has there personal choice i run redline. not saying thats the best thats just my personal opinion and what my car seems to like. you could knock off the plugs and trans and save some money and do them later, but depending on funds id say just do it all at once and just get it done with. Might as well change your engine oil and filter to while your at it.
Old Nov 14, 2011, 03:10 PM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by Boostd4
Couldn't see the pic, at first...but it appears it's $1,700 vs. $17,000. Might want to shop around on the parts...seems like most of the listed parts are above list prices.
def look around for the parts, i agree some of the parts def look listed a little high in price.
Old Nov 14, 2011, 03:12 PM
Evolving Member

i got my belt replaced at a dealer for 465, though thats the only thing i needed replaced.
Old Nov 14, 2011, 03:14 PM

Originally Posted by GGevo921
Seems about right, its an expensive job, timing belt jobs are usually 600+ in parts and usually over $1000 total including labor. its a good bit of work. the spark plugs and trans fluid and diff fluids you might as well do especially if you havent done them yet, supposed to be changed every 15k on the trans and diff, everyone has there personal choice i run redline. not saying thats the best thats just my personal opinion and what my car seems to like. you could knock off the plugs and trans and save some money and do them later, but depending on funds id say just do it all at once and just get it done with. Might as well change your engine oil and filter to while your at it.
I did the engine oils recently. That's all I can do, maybe I can try doing the spark plugs myself too if it's easy enough for a mechanic noob like me. I just want to know like what exactly has to be change. I can't find a manufacture list, instead I can only find what people mentioned what they want to change.
Old Nov 14, 2011, 03:19 PM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by Tango|EVOLUTION
I did the engine oils recently. That's all I can do, maybe I can try doing the spark plugs myself too if it's easy enough for a mechanic noob like me. I just want to know like what exactly has to be change. I can't find a manufacture list, instead I can only find what people mentioned what they want to change.
You can do the spark plugs if you have the right tools, ie spark plug socket, extension, rachets, etc. if you do it takes 15minutes at most. very simple job. just be careful when putting them back in that you start threading them by hand and then finsih tightenting with rachet. you dont want to strip the threads here or ull being pulling the head. pretty easy. pm if you have any questions. i just did my timing belt recently and work at a shop. feel free to ask questions.
Old Nov 14, 2011, 03:22 PM

Originally Posted by GGevo921
You can do the spark plugs if you have the right tools, ie spark plug socket, extension, rachets, etc. if you do it takes 15minutes at most. very simple job. just be careful when putting them back in that you start threading them by hand and then finsih tightenting with rachet. you dont want to strip the threads here or ull being pulling the head. pretty easy. pm if you have any questions. i just did my timing belt recently and work at a shop. feel free to ask questions.
Thanks for the help, but I don't think I have the tools, I might go buy a set of wrench anyway tho. If small jobs like changing fluid and stuff that I can do at home, I would want to try, so I can save some money. I just need to make sure it's possible to work at home, my garage is small. Then I'll have the shop to do the big jobs, and give me another quote.

Last edited by Tango|EVOLUTION; Nov 14, 2011 at 03:25 PM.

Quick Reply: How much for a 60k tune up for Evo IX usually cost? PLEASE HELP! =(