Notices
Evo General Discuss any generalized technical Evo related topics that may not fit into the other forums. Please do not post tech and rumor threads here.
Sponsored by: RavSpec - JDM Wheels Central

What happened to the old Evom? Where the shops built cars to see who was the fastest?

Search this Thread

Old Nov 18, 2011, 06:05 AM
FJF
Evolved Member

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts
IMHO, shops have to move on in order to survive. The CT9A platform is essentially dead - how many times can you sell the same parts to the same people? The number of cars is deceasing. As fewer and fewer new (used) Evo owners come into the fold, fewer opportunities exist to sell them the same parts all over again. Consider, too, the competition from the second hand market and the propensity of a new owner of a $13,000 8 year old beat-to-crap car to welcome such discounts regardless of quality.
Old Nov 18, 2011, 06:16 AM
Evolving Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
There will be several cars including mine that should be in the 8's next season. Not sure how deep though but you'll see.
Old Nov 18, 2011, 06:19 AM
Account Disabled

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by dee242
stm was trying to sell the ricer they said if they dont get it sold their going to cut it up n make it faster
I saw this...Ricer is such a clean car, I wish Emery/STM wouldn't cut it up...but if thats what it takes to go faster then what they already are...makes me sad...
Old Nov 18, 2011, 06:20 AM
Evolved Member

Everyone has prettymuch set the legit records. Sure people can make their own but what fun is that?
Old Nov 18, 2011, 06:42 AM
Evolved Member

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
I understand that both mike @ awd and Dave B are both building Evo 8/9 drag cars... And Emery is looking to go faster yet. I think we will get too see some more attempts here soon enough.

Besides the shops bringing out cars there are a few privateers that will be knocking on the 8s door.

I think next year will make for some great racing, economy aside.
Old Nov 18, 2011, 06:46 AM
Evolved Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
A big part of it in the drag racing scene at least is probably due to there being few places you can drag race for anything besides bragging rights. When you consider the cost of fielding a record breaking drag car it doesn't make sense for these companies to consistently risk the cars. Most of the new money has moved on to other platforms like the GT-R. On the flip side, as the cost of the Evo drops more people are building them for road racing. As other people have mentioned though, the economy hasn't done anybody in the aftermarket industry any favors either.
Old Nov 18, 2011, 06:50 AM
Evolving Member

Its not cost effective to build a racecar which is I'm sure the reason why buschur decided to stop the drag racing. AMS too for that matter. At a certain level you are breaking things every outing and into the 4 digits each time to fix.
Old Nov 18, 2011, 06:54 AM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by evodan2004
It's all about the car who can reliably run 9s or 10s and still be a real street driven car.

Truer words were never spoken.
Old Nov 18, 2011, 06:58 AM
Evolved Member

Btw, smurf... What's your beef with dynapack dynos? Ive actually used one and they're amazing. IMO far better than the dj and md dynos I've been on.

I got to spend some time on Sean Church's dyno in Vegas. Awesome guy and that dyno was very impressive.
Old Nov 18, 2011, 07:35 AM

Churchs dyno is also known for reading high
Old Nov 18, 2011, 08:01 AM
Evolved Member

Received 32 Likes on 14 Posts
Originally Posted by R/TErnie
it seems that these days shops are doing their best to come up with new creative ways to set records.

like fastest 2005 Evo SSL on street tires... or quickest Evo with a full interior.

Why don't we see the shops shooting for the true record. 8.34 out of the STM DS9 car from Australia. Fastest Evo 8/9 in the World.

I see a lot of shops recalling old glory moments from the past. Let's see some shops put together a race program that is successful and runs the fast times that we all hear about. Less jabber and more racing.

It would be nice to see these shops put together cars and be prepared for next year's shootout so we can see what the American shops can do against the Extreme-Tuner's car as well as any other Foreign teams that want to bring a car to race. If all the big hitters are coming... I think you could pull some world wide talent together to make for a great show.

Not to mention... a little competition never hurt anybody
I agree with you on being the fastest and the one real record for ET/MPH in a particular chassis body/driveline configuration. I think there are also "true records" like you call them as far as turbo choice. So, the quickest fastest Stock turbo/Green/Red/Black/HTA86 etc. I don't believe in breaking them down by fastest with "new car smell" though. haha

As for building another EVO to try and set a record that nobody cares about anymore, not happening here. We went down that road when more people were drag racing EVO's than at any other time. Getting an H pattern stock trans to shift at 10,000+ rpm is a PITA, paying $5,000 for a clutch that will last 20 passes in a car like that is just not reality. Spending $8,000 on a dogbox to help with the situation, also, not reality anymore.

There are other problems as far as a business outlook on it. Here are some:

#1. Customers don't care at this point about who is the quickest/fastest. It's a thing of the past and I'm glad we were in it when it was the hot thing.

#2. Having an 8 second EVO gets advertising attention BUT in reality there are no customers lining up at the door to get that same build done.

#3. The cost to build the car and run the car is EXTREMELY high and will never be offset by sales of the parts you used to set the record.

So, you have to do it because you love it. Building a car like that is filled with hundreds of hours of work that are offset by a few good passes that last just seconds. 8.37 seconds to set the world record, $75,000 to build the car, hundreds of hours of labor. Then there are the hundreds of passes that will be made to even run that 8.37 seconds and everyone of them that doesn't set the record, every missed shift, every clutch change, every oil change is just something in the way that pisses you off.............and at our shop that lead to fights, arguments and headaches that were not worth keeping after it, so we sold the car. I haven't missed our drag EVO one day since it's been gone, not one.

We are not building an EVO for drag racing. I do have the itch again and it can be credited to the automatics in the 1g and 2g's that have made the car consistent and reliable or at least that is how they seem to be.

I just bought a 1991 Eagle Talon AWD automatic. The plan is to do a budget build on the car for 2012. I think it's cool that we will have a DSM back in our stable for the 20th Annual DSM/EVO Shootout!

The other solution is definitely an auto trans in the EVO, like Lucas is working on. I tried to import the EVO7 GTA trans with no success back when we had the black drag EVO. I have a line on one now, finally and considered putting it in my RS. The fact is I love the RS how it is and I am enjoying doing these multi-skilled events more than I do just drag racing the car. Car show/autocross/drag race type events are a blast and I've done well in them, so putting an auto in the car is out of the question for me.

Something else as a note, the BadBish has sold more parts/builds because of the interest in the car than any other single car since my 1G DSM back in the day. People are interested in bad *** street cars not so much a gutted tin can drag car that can be used for one thing only.

I'm looking forward to this 1G DSM project and hoping it works out as planned. A nice consistent, fast project that we can go rounds with.

Myself, Jarrod, Kevin and Dean went to North Carolina last weekend to race the BadBish. The weekend was over filled with laughs, stories, drinking, good food, good friends and stories I will remember for a very long time. When I look back on myself, Kevin and Dean traveling all over this great country of ours 10 years ago with two cars in a stacker trailer nearly every weekend of the year do you know what I remember? I remember the good times, laughs, drinking, good food and good friends. I remember very few rounds of racing. Last weekend reminded me of the great times I have had and could still have and that is what put me over the edge to build this new car. I am not going for the fastest auto record, the fastest DSM record or any other record. I intend actually duplicate the BadBish's engine/head/turbo and drop it into this 1G DSM and hope it can run some 8.90's and do it 50 passes in a row without missing a shift, replacing a clutch or just being pissed off in general. In those 50 passes I intend to travel to 8 different tracks and hang out with my good friends and have some damn laughs, because those laughs are what I remember the most from all the racing I've done.

Records are meant to be broken my friends. You can chase that dream if you like, it's an expensive aggravating road to travel. I'll take a bit slower road from now on and just try to improve reliability and get some good memories to share with my grand kids later down the road.
Old Nov 18, 2011, 08:16 AM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by R/TErnie
Btw, smurf... What's your beef with dynapack dynos? Ive actually used one and they're amazing. IMO far better than the dj and md dynos I've been on.
LOL. I didn't think it was that apparent.

Most of the dynapaks I've been around have read higher then DJ's (Which already read higher then Mustang Dyno's and Dyno Dynamics, but they are industry standard).

Thats my only real problem with them. Other then that I've learned to stop chasing a number and just enjoy my car. Every once and a while I get bitten by the number bug but its a never ending battle and in the end its my pocketbook and car.
Old Nov 18, 2011, 08:28 AM
Evolved Member

I really dont see any shops going after the world record here in the states. Which i honestly thought someone would give it a try. But as stated, the econonmy has taken a big toll on business these days. Not everyone can go out and spend thousands on a car and go 8s. I would like to see some big shops go after the world record here, but as stated people dont care about that.

Im one of the people on here trying to go 8s and it is being done on my own. Very expensive and time consuming and lot of frustration. I was almost thinking about dialing the car down back to a more street type setup. But im one of those people if who has a goal in mind and will stick to it. 8 sec pass is all i want and I know its not going to be easy but it will happen. With that being said i dont think Evom has changed that much. There are still plenty of shops setting records and coming up with new things to the Evo platform. We are lucky to have shops that are still in business that are continuing the evo platform each day and year 2012 should be a fun season for everyone!!
Old Nov 18, 2011, 08:31 AM
Evolved Member

Meh... a number is a number. A dyno is a tuning tool. It operates much like an engine dyno which allows you to tune ALL the cells, not just the ones during the power sweep and then extrapolate ignition and fuel values from there. I was pretty stoked with Church's setup. He likes them soo much he has like 5 of them lol.

Good points Dave.

Where do you see the competition for the Evo coming in the future? Which form of racing? Or are you saying innovation is dead for a "dead" model.
Old Nov 18, 2011, 08:59 AM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by Snake bite
stm just raped the stock turbo record. look around, theres still shops doing there thing. the 8/9s have a way better racing scene then the X's.
What did they run with that stock turbo?

Quick Reply: What happened to the old Evom? Where the shops built cars to see who was the fastest?