Notices
Evo General Discuss any generalized technical Evo related topics that may not fit into the other forums. Please do not post tech and rumor threads here.
Sponsored by: RavSpec - JDM Wheels Central

No heat please help.

Search this Thread

Old Dec 31, 2011, 08:37 AM
Evolving Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
No heat please help.

As the title suggests I have no heat until the car warms all the way up. I have an after market radiator and and after market thermostat (don't know if that matters much)... last winter I did not have any issues(no mods have changed since then).
The car use to blow hot air within just a few min of running....now it doesn't blow even semi warm air until I let the car run for 10+ min at an idle, then once I start going and the motor cools down I don't get the warm air any more. I don't know much about HVAC systems so please forgive my n00bness. Could this be a bad heater core?

Last edited by PaperClip; Jan 1, 2012 at 09:14 PM.
Old Dec 31, 2011, 08:45 AM
Evolved Member

It could be your Coolant level. You should check it. If there isn't a dense conductive fluid to transfer thermal energy into the heater core it won't get hot. Also if there isn't a dense conductive fluid flowing around your cylinders to absorb thermal energy they won't be cooled and if there isn't a dense conductive fluid flowing through you radiator it won't absorb the thermal energy from the engine and dissipate it. So yeah your coolant is important and you should check it often.
Old Dec 31, 2011, 08:52 AM
Evolving Member

Coolant level is fine and motor does not run hot. Once I start driving it runs at about 65*c (coolant temp).
Old Dec 31, 2011, 11:26 AM
Evolving Member

Could one of the lines to the heater core have been kinked? Where do they sit on the car? I can take a look to see if the lines are damaged.
Old Dec 31, 2011, 11:38 AM
Evolved Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Was the radiator and thermostat added before or after the problem started?
Old Dec 31, 2011, 11:45 AM

Sounds like the thermostat put the oem back in and see if it fixes it.
Old Dec 31, 2011, 11:54 AM
Evolving Member

Are you running coolant or straight water?!?!?
Old Dec 31, 2011, 11:55 AM
Evolving Member

The thermostat and radiator have been in for a little over a year now. I don't ever remember not having heating issues. If I can find my stock thermostat I will swap them out and check. If that's what the issue is then It's not a huge deal, I will just have to save for a daily drive
Old Dec 31, 2011, 11:56 AM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by javicracer
Are you running coolant or straight water?!?!?
Its a 50/50 mix
Old Dec 31, 2011, 12:42 PM
Evolved Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I've had this issue with my car since I had motor swapped. I have to put it on defrost in order to get heat and when I have it on any other setting its cold air regardless of the temp of the motor
Old Dec 31, 2011, 03:27 PM
Evolving Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Is your blend door moving freely? They gum up on the '03s due to a lack of cabin filter and can stick, despite the knob being all the way at heat the door can be halfway between. check to make sure the lever arm in the driver's footwell is moving as it should when the knob is turned.

Otherwise, you might have an air bubble trapped in the heater core. Try burping the system to see if that helps.
Old Dec 31, 2011, 04:19 PM
Evolved Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
If you are asking me:

door moves freely.

I have an 06.
Old Dec 31, 2011, 04:35 PM
Evolved Member

Received 144 Likes on 128 Posts
You have the honor of being the forth person this fall who has posted with this problem, that is, aftermarket thermostat and no heat. In two cases the OEM thermostat fixed the problem. Never heard back from the third people but he had a Mitsu thermostat on order.
Old Jan 1, 2012, 05:16 PM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by cmspaz
Is your blend door moving freely? They gum up on the '03s due to a lack of cabin filter and can stick, despite the knob being all the way at heat the door can be halfway between. check to make sure the lever arm in the driver's footwell is moving as it should when the knob is turned.

Otherwise, you might have an air bubble trapped in the heater core. Try burping the system to see if that helps.
I will try this, I was wondering if the door may have been blocked. I was talking to my girlfriend and she did verify that my heat was working last winter. I did have the new thermostat and rad in last winter.
Old Jan 1, 2012, 05:18 PM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by barneyb
You have the honor of being the forth person this fall who has posted with this problem, that is, aftermarket thermostat and no heat. In two cases the OEM thermostat fixed the problem. Never heard back from the third people but he had a Mitsu thermostat on order.
My heat did work last winter. I checked to see when I had ordered the thermostat/radiator and it has been over 2 years. I am going to check the blender door like another person had suggested.

Quick Reply: No heat please help.