Notices
Evo General Discuss any generalized technical Evo related topics that may not fit into the other forums. Please do not post tech and rumor threads here.
Sponsored by: RavSpec - JDM Wheels Central

I am Keeping My Evo Stock ! Despite all the temptations! :)

Search this Thread

Old Jan 14, 2012, 05:00 PM
Evolved Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I think the "a pro driver in a stock evo will whoop you" mentality is funny. I can see keeping your evo stock for other reasons, but thats like saying "you could spend your money on a nice road bike but at the end of the day Lance Armstrong will kick your *** on a 50lb huffy.
Old Jan 14, 2012, 10:25 PM
Evolving Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Car as of now is still bone stock minus an aftermarket radio. Probably gonna do full bolt ons, a tune, and aftermarket wheels and coilovers eventually, but as I'm keeping it my daily driver, I'm not gonna go nuts with it.
Old Jan 15, 2012, 01:24 AM
FJF
Evolved Member

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts
Originally Posted by SDevo13
I think the "a pro driver in a stock evo will whoop you" mentality is funny. I can see keeping your evo stock for other reasons, but thats like saying "you could spend your money on a nice road bike but at the end of the day Lance Armstrong will kick your *** on a 50lb huffy.
The point was, learn how to drive instead of learn how to mod. It's astonishing to think anyone would disagree.
Old Jan 15, 2012, 02:03 AM
Account Disabled

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
I got 41k miles on my 100% Stock 2010 MRT. Never a problem besides the stupid Panasonic battery
You want realiability? Keep her stock!
Old Jan 15, 2012, 03:03 AM
Evolved Member

I stayed fully stock for years and enjoyed the car that way for 50k miles. But in that time I always felt the stock exhaust was choking the engine. Installed a TBE and tune and wow I wish I had done this basic mod from the start. The car has more low end throttle response and seems even easier to drive on the street. Only downside is that it's a bit louder now. But then again a stock Evo isn't exactly quiet either.
Old Jan 15, 2012, 07:21 AM
Evolved Member

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts
Originally Posted by FJF
The point was, learn how to drive instead of learn how to mod. It's astonishing to think anyone would disagree.
I don't have any plans of being a race car driver and we don't have any race tracks close by When I was younger I did autox for a few seasons and grew tired of it because I wanted to actually hit a road course.
Old Jan 15, 2012, 07:53 AM
Evolving Member

Good on you, keeping it stock. To each their own. Your car, your cash, your decision. As long as you still got love for your car, don't listen to the naysayers.
Me, I had a full BR 3" TBE, boost controller and SAFC II, sitting at home for a almost a month before i got my car back in '05. Those went on the day after i got the car
With numerous mods and going into 7 years later, I still got love for my car!
Old Jan 15, 2012, 07:54 AM
Evolving Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Well, OP, you do have a modded evo. You just decided to mod the interior and install stereo equipment. Most evo owners mod the engine or suspension.

As it applies to most things, moderation is key. Going overboard with the interior and stereo mods can get tacky quickly. Same goes with the engine and suspension. Well thought out, goal-driven modding can make the evo an even better car.

I have a full TBE and a BBK with an awesome tune, and I can honestly say that I love driving it more than when I drove off the lot in 2006.
Old Jan 15, 2012, 11:56 AM
Evolved Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Originally Posted by Thrilla
Well, OP, you do have a modded evo. You just decided to mod the interior and install stereo equipment. Most evo owners mod the engine or suspension.

As it applies to most things, moderation is key. Going overboard with the interior and stereo mods can get tacky quickly. Same goes with the engine and suspension. Well thought out, goal-driven modding can make the evo an even better car.

I have a full TBE and a BBK with an awesome tune, and I can honestly say that I love driving it more than when I drove off the lot in 2006.
My thoughts exactly.
Old Jan 15, 2012, 12:19 PM
Evolving Member

Hey man, keep it stock. As time goes by I like seeing clean, stock Evos.

And yes, it's impressive how a little track time can improve your driving experience and speed. If you do mod, you may want to try a few aero parts. Amazing what a rear diffuser and a front splitter can do for overall high speed stability (without making any mechanical modifications.) And the car would still essentially be stock.
Old Jan 15, 2012, 12:25 PM
Evolved Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Originally Posted by FJF
For starters, those things are not mutually exclusive. You can mod your car improving its capabilities while you get track time to improve your driving ability. Second, there are any number of Evo owners (most?) that will never see track time of any kind road course, autox, or drag. The modification is the fun part of the hobby for them.
Old Jan 15, 2012, 12:41 PM
FJF
Evolved Member

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts
Originally Posted by blackenedwings
For starters, those things are not mutually exclusive. You can mod your car improving its capabilities while you get track time to improve your driving ability.
I don't necessarily disagree. It's just not how the discussion evolved.

Second, there are any number of Evo owners (most?) that will never see track time of any kind road course, autox, or drag. The modification is the fun part of the hobby for them.
1. Modding for the sake of modding is a whole 'nother story. It's an entity in itself that isn't really defined by the function of the automobile. In principle, definitely and how! In practice, not so much. The idea behind my comment was based on actually being fast, not talking about being fast.

2. Why is some kind of a competitive situation brought up any time driving skill is discussed? It's a forum-driven binary situation - track or grandma. There's a HUGE gray are that exists between the two. As a fun side note, I was following a guy this past summer (going straight ~40MPH) who talks quite a bit about auto-x'ing and I guess competes regularly. He couldn't maintain the car rolling at a steady cruise. Do you think I needed to check his stats to assess his skill as a driver?

Last edited by FJF; Jan 15, 2012 at 12:44 PM.
Old Jan 15, 2012, 07:22 PM
Evolving Member

These cars scream for modification, it was what they were made for. Honestly I used to underestimate these things because of their "small" capacity motors but the gains through simple mods are amazing. The chassis is also a great platform and the car has HUGE potential. My E39 handles very well and is very sharp and tight however the evo feels like it's on rails especially with the coilovers and the R888 tires.
Old Jan 16, 2012, 07:44 AM

Had my Evo for close to a year, and it's still stock aside from MR Bilsteins (on stock springs) and some brake pads. The car feels exceptionally powerful to me, since my previous car was a SC'd Miata.
Been having fun at several HPDE's, and when a few of them were in the wet, I passed every car in the group (ZR1, Rossion Q1 etc)... I have an unfair advantage.
My plan was to eventually go down the bolt-on route, at which point I'll have enough reference with the stock car to know where every penny went... and in the meantime, I sink all of my cash into trackdays, which will go a lot farther in getting past the other cars than just some extra power
Old Jan 16, 2012, 07:53 AM
EvoM Staff Alumni

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Almost 56k on the clock, just turned her in for her 60k mile service and the only mod is an intake that the previous owner installed. I'm debating on whether or not to install a few small mods like SS clutch line, SS brake lines, and shifting base/linkage bushings.

I have no intentions for adding anything for power, at least for a while.

Quick Reply: I am Keeping My Evo Stock ! Despite all the temptations! :)