Notices
Evo General Discuss any generalized technical Evo related topics that may not fit into the other forums. Please do not post tech and rumor threads here.
Sponsored by: RavSpec - JDM Wheels Central

Koyo radiator, what cap to use

Search this Thread

Old May 8, 2018, 04:04 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Saltyevo
I don't see how that slighy scraping is an issue. I have been running the stock cap on my koyo for years now with zero issues and zero coolant smell.
I'm curious, is yours scraped up too?

Depending on how badly it's scraped, you may not be getting full seal on the radiator. Since the stock cap is too wide, it's trying to seal metal to metal. The inner spring pushes the inner seal against that lip, and that's what gives it 1.3bar (or 1.1 or whatever stock cap is) pressurization in your coolant system. It's probably not that big a deal as long as it provides some seal, else it's just always going to release pressure to the expansion tank.

At worst, you may have tiny little metal particles floating around in your cooling system.
Old May 8, 2018, 04:08 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I haven't looked inside to see if it's all scraped up. I just put in the koyo threw my old stock cap on and started driving.
Old May 8, 2018, 07:10 PM

I stopped by the local Pep Boys and asked them for a radiator cap that fits the Evo. Stant 10333 fits and has a skinny center metal valve. I installed it and will take the car out for a drive tomorrow to see if that fixes the coolant smell, hopefully it works.
Old Jun 2, 2018, 04:19 PM
Evolved Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by tsair
I stopped by the local Pep Boys and asked them for a radiator cap that fits the Evo. Stant 10333 fits and has a skinny center metal valve. I installed it and will take the car out for a drive tomorrow to see if that fixes the coolant smell, hopefully it works.
any update here.? I'm having a similar issue.
Old Jun 25, 2018, 11:59 PM

Originally Posted by Spoolin4g63
any update here.? I'm having a similar issue.
Sorry for the long delay, I don't browse these forums that often.

The new cap is working pretty well, it fits properly and seals well, no more coolant smell around the radiator cap.