Notices
Evo General Discuss any generalized technical Evo related topics that may not fit into the other forums. Please do not post tech and rumor threads here.
Sponsored by: RavSpec - JDM Wheels Central

AFR Bounce 13-18+(lean) non stop while idling and cruising.

Search this Thread

Old May 10, 2012, 04:51 PM
Evolved Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
AFR Bounce 13-18+(lean) non stop while idling and cruising.

Started today after work. Recently (week ago) i installed a vacuum block, and everything to my knowledge is hooked up correctly. Been driving for about a week, but today after work afr gauge started going weirdo.

During Idle or while Cruising, it'll bounce from 13'ish to full lean 18+. Car drives fine, and wot afr's are still good.

If this helps at all, i was outside few mins ago, let the car warm up, just idle, and after a few minutes the afr's held steady at 15.3, but as soon as i touch throttle it starts bouncing agian.

Any suggestions?

dave

p.s. look over vacuum hoses and everything seems to be intact.
Old May 10, 2012, 05:06 PM
Evolved Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
i would say the front 02 sensor is toast
Old May 10, 2012, 07:09 PM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by prowakeskater
i would say the front 02 sensor is toast
would a toast sensor still read properly at times? or would a toast sensor be completely done, cause i've experienced a bad o2 sensor on my subby back in the day, and that thing couldnt idle worth a beans, but my evo can.
Old May 11, 2012, 03:52 AM
Evolved Member

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Originally Posted by ezzey
Started today after work. Recently (week ago) i installed a vacuum block, and everything to my knowledge is hooked up correctly. Been driving for about a week, but today after work afr gauge started going weirdo.

During Idle or while Cruising, it'll bounce from 13'ish to full lean 18+. Car drives fine, and wot afr's are still good.

If this helps at all, i was outside few mins ago, let the car warm up, just idle, and after a few minutes the afr's held steady at 15.3, but as soon as i touch throttle it starts bouncing agian.

Any suggestions?

dave

p.s. look over vacuum hoses and everything seems to be intact.
I had a very small leak develop a couple weeks after installing my Omni 4 bar map sensor that caused similar driveability issues as you're experiencing now. The only way the leak could be detected was during a boost leak test, so I think you should start off with one of those. I would be surprised if you didn't have a small leak somewhere.
Old May 11, 2012, 02:04 PM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by GG06MR
I had a very small leak develop a couple weeks after installing my Omni 4 bar map sensor that caused similar driveability issues as you're experiencing now. The only way the leak could be detected was during a boost leak test, so I think you should start off with one of those. I would be surprised if you didn't have a small leak somewhere.
Magically its fixed itself. It still seem's to run a little richer during cruising/light accel, but im gonna go do a leak test right now and ill report my results.

I read somewhere that unstable voltage(from battery per-say) could also throw off the afr readings. I check my cables going to the battery in the trunk yesterday, reset the breaker(fuse) and wiggled the power line a little. Not sure if that helped it at all.

Off to do a leak down test.

dave
Old May 11, 2012, 02:17 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Had a similar problem, turned out to be my intercooler hoses leaking/porous, but recheck the vacuum block for leaks also!
Old May 11, 2012, 07:46 PM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by chintrebor
Had a similar problem, turned out to be my intercooler hoses leaking/porous, but recheck the vacuum block for leaks also!
will do.
didnt get a chance to leak test today, but i did get rid of some unneeded wires in the bay. ill leak test it tomorrow.
Old May 12, 2012, 06:30 PM
Evolved Member

Did a boost leak test today.

Had a few small bubbles/leaks

-stm egr block off plate
-intake to throttle body gasket (need new)
-few vacuum hoses on fittings (fixed)
-t fitting (fixed)
-turbo housing (ewwww, must fix asap)

As far as the AFR's, they fixed themselves overnight, go figure. Maybe it was me touching the cables that run to the battery in the trunk? Which make no sense but ill let it be.

As far as "Boost Leaks" go, i'd RECOMMEND +999999 for everyone to get one done, its very easy process and it'll do your car good!

dave
Old May 12, 2012, 07:03 PM
Evolved Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by ezzey
Did a boost leak test today.

Had a few small bubbles/leaks

-stm egr block off plate
-intake to throttle body gasket (need new)
-few vacuum hoses on fittings (fixed)
-t fitting (fixed)
-turbo housing (ewwww, must fix asap)

As far as the AFR's, they fixed themselves overnight, go figure. Maybe it was me touching the cables that run to the battery in the trunk? Which make no sense but ill let it be.

As far as "Boost Leaks" go, i'd RECOMMEND +999999 for everyone to get one done, its very easy process and it'll do your car good!

dave
Boost leak testing is not recommended but a SERIOUS MUST...NO SERIOUSLY GO TO YOUR CAR AND DO IT ASAP!!!! Its crazy how many leaks we found at only 15 psi, couldnt even get it over that due to the leaks present, turbo leaking really bad Luckily it looks like just gaskets
Old May 13, 2012, 08:33 PM
Evolved Member

Found some good info here

https://www.evolutionm.net/forums/ev...-notice-2.html

Thats exactly where my turbo was leaking pretty bad. Removed it today and slapped a nice little bead (of Permatex Ultra Grey) around the edge and put everything back together. Gonna let it cure for 24 hours and do another boost leak test and let you know how that turns out.

and decided to paint the housing since i had it apart. Hopefully this VHT paint holds up.

dave
Old May 13, 2012, 09:45 PM
Evolved Member

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
^. I really like the color and the paint should hold up just fine.