Notices
Evo General Discuss any generalized technical Evo related topics that may not fit into the other forums. Please do not post tech and rumor threads here.
Sponsored by: RavSpec - JDM Wheels Central

New Release! Tarzan G Box by Do Luck

Search this Thread

Old Jun 6, 2012, 10:41 AM
Silver Sponsor

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Thumbs up

Originally Posted by acidtonic
I wonder if it's actually a more responsive G-Force sensor, or if it's simply a normal G-Force sensor with some electronics that make it "lie" to trick the ECU into being more aggressive?

If it's truly a better sensor, I may be interested. Otherwise I'd rather flash the ACD instead of using a piggyback to lie to it.

Kinda like S-AFC compared to EcuFlash.

It is both a "better" sensor (more accurate data provided more frequently) and tuned to be more aggressive (it may exaggerate the g-force readings slightly to the control systems). Dino's write up from Speed Hunters is quite compelling in addition to the measured lap time improvement... but to each his own.
Email: sales@bulletproofautomotive.com
Direct North American Dealers for Voltex, Mines, Varis, First Molding, HKS Kansai, Cusco, HKS, Advan, Volk, Ings+1, C-West, Work, and so much more...
Old Jun 7, 2012, 07:22 AM
Evolving Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Fireescape
Write up on speedhunters

http://www.speedhunters.com/2012/06/...ets-tarzan-ed/

Also picture of a awesome looking Evo 9 wagon.
To hell with the wagon, look at that restored Fairlady Z
Old Jun 7, 2012, 08:15 AM
EvoM Guru

Received 724 Likes on 566 Posts
Ill put money on there being about $30 in electronics and a couple bucks in connectors. 3 axis accelerometers and microcontrollers are cheap. The PCB and case is probably the most expensive parts.
Old Jun 7, 2012, 09:08 AM
Evolving Member

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
I just don't see this catching on over here in the states. That's a lot of cash for such a small product. I think maybe if you were a driver at the level where you are actually out driving your mods, then yeah - it might be worth it. But I'd say that over 90% of Evo drivers don't have the skill level to need something like this.

*****I'm not saying this to bash any drivers here or anywhere else. just pointing out aht most people have more mods than seat time and haven't gotten to a level that they are out driving their cars. *******
Old Jun 7, 2012, 05:07 PM
Evolved Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Im guessing its just a modded sensor that tricks your electronics (ayc,acd) to react sooner and/or more aggressively. I would rather have a flashed acd tune. Its nice to see new things out for the evo, but at $850 I will pass. I paid less for my TRE 1.5 way diff and race flashed ACD ecu.
Old Jun 7, 2012, 06:10 PM
EvoM Guru

Received 724 Likes on 566 Posts
Originally Posted by TommiM
Im guessing its just a modded sensor that tricks your electronics (ayc,acd) to react sooner and/or more aggressively. I would rather have a flashed acd tune. Its nice to see new things out for the evo, but at $850 I will pass. I paid less for my TRE 1.5 way diff and race flashed ACD ecu.
Apexi S-AFC v.2012
Old Jun 8, 2012, 01:24 AM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by gsrboi80
I'd have to agree that its prob pretty worthless for a USDM car and actually useless for an 03-04 USDM car.

With the ACD Flashing avail now I can't see this taking off here in the states. Prob awesome for the overseas guys though
Yep you're right over here in Australia we don't have sensors and that stuff.

We've had acd flashing for quite a few years mate too. Tehpra who writes alot of the open software and Merlin are Aussies last time i checked.

ACD flashin would not make this redundant infact if this is a higher quality sensor than the mitsu one it would make quite the difference in enchanced reading and reaction times.

Seriously I'd like to see how this weighs up compared to an offering of a g sensor from motec (australian company probably one of the highest used ecu and controller manufacturers at high end motorsport).

I get a motec g sensor for less price but how does this weigh up compared to a motec one?

We can see the diffference in a gtr sensor (gtr's to the r34 inherently use technology 10 years older than evo's).

How would it work without a ayc? Probably just fine , as to use without an acd I don't know, but then all our evos overhere since the 6 onwards have an acd (with the exception of some rs models).
Old Jun 8, 2012, 06:30 PM
Silver Sponsor

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Thumbs up

Originally Posted by justincase
Yep you're right over here in Australia we don't have sensors and that stuff.

We've had acd flashing for quite a few years mate too. Tehpra who writes alot of the open software and Merlin are Aussies last time i checked.

ACD flashin would not make this redundant infact if this is a higher quality sensor than the mitsu one it would make quite the difference in enchanced reading and reaction times.

Seriously I'd like to see how this weighs up compared to an offering of a g sensor from motec (australian company probably one of the highest used ecu and controller manufacturers at high end motorsport).

I get a motec g sensor for less price but how does this weigh up compared to a motec one?

We can see the diffference in a gtr sensor (gtr's to the r34 inherently use technology 10 years older than evo's).

How would it work without a ayc? Probably just fine , as to use without an acd I don't know, but then all our evos overhere since the 6 onwards have an acd (with the exception of some rs models).
Good summary and we feel similarly. If there is enough interest, say 5 confirmed, we can do a group buy for a reduced price. Being able to drop 1-2 seconds off of your lap time is quite attractive for anyone doing time attack.
Email: sales@bulletproofautomotive.com
Direct North American Dealers for Voltex, Mines, Varis, First Molding, HKS Kansai, Cusco, HKS, Advan, Volk, Ings+1, C-West, Work, and so much more...
Old Jun 8, 2012, 06:35 PM
Evolving Member

JDM as fawk!
Old Jun 9, 2012, 06:05 AM
Evolving Member

Reading more and i feel like an idiot the evo appears to have two sensors, a longitudinal and lateral sensor. I should of been all over this.

http://www.scribd.com/doc/21248071/m...chnical-manual 2-15 onwards should provide a layman's description for everyone.

So do we have any figures on sensor speed or ability other than Tarzan saying it's good?

For the Evo does it replace both of the sensors? (it seems to be about 300 more than the skyline g box).

I'm interested but I have to see processor speeds etc , easy to see an improvement with the skyline as it's going from a mechanical sensor to a digital sensor so it's a no brainer but, what's there for us?

Any data on the ability of this sensor to the stock mitsubishi one?