Notices
Evo Engine / Turbo / Drivetrain Everything from engine management to the best clutch and flywheel.

Looking for all EVO 8, 9 people with 6 speed still.

Search this Thread

Old Nov 2, 2016, 12:23 PM
Evolving Member

Received 15 Likes on 14 Posts
Originally Posted by kaj
450whp on my 6spd,No problems. I don't drag race, though. Only road racing and autox, though I do launch the car pretty decently at AX.
I did break one 6spd, but it was installation error. I put a 5spd in for about three days, but didn't like it. I will run 6s from now on.
Awesome to see you sticking with it! it was a great trans. Short gears really gave it great street manners.
Old Nov 2, 2016, 12:38 PM
kaj
EvoM Community Team Leader

Received 812 Likes on 677 Posts
Originally Posted by EvoIX89
Awesome to see you sticking with it! it was a great trans. Short gears really gave it great street manners.
Gearing was one of my complaints with the 5spd:

-I didn't like where the shift lever sat. Too far back and away from the wheel.
-Gearing; between 1st and 2nd was particularly bad, if I remember right. Not a fan.
-Notchiness: rowing the gears just wasn't smooth at all. Not a big deal, really.
The 6spd just felt like a "better" trans in feel and being suited to the car.

I did like the weight of the 5spd. I was able to bench press it onto the car much easier than the 6. I also liked not having to lift the reverse lockout ring.
Old Nov 2, 2016, 01:04 PM
Evolving Member

Received 15 Likes on 14 Posts
Originally Posted by kaj
Gearing was one of my complaints with the 5spd:

-I didn't like where the shift lever sat. Too far back and away from the wheel.
-Gearing; between 1st and 2nd was particularly bad, if I remember right. Not a fan.
-Notchiness: rowing the gears just wasn't smooth at all. Not a big deal, really.
The 6spd just felt like a "better" trans in feel and being suited to the car.

I did like the weight of the 5spd. I was able to bench press it onto the car much easier than the 6. I also liked not having to lift the reverse lockout ring.
I did like the feel the 6 was better suited for the car too. but every 5 speed I've driven was solid. like, every shift felt very good, and knew you were in gear. and not much shifter slop while in gear. the 6 felt pretty sloppy while in gear for comparison. Ive read of very few guys doing a better final drive gearing in a 6 speed. so they get the 4th gear 1/4 mile speed they need and an even better 6th gear on the highway.
i wish i could rebuild my 6 but Buschur told me the new style synchro kits don't fit the OEM 6 speed gear sets, so you have to buy the new gear set from Mitsu. basically costing more than a new 6 speed trans from mitsu
Old Nov 2, 2016, 01:21 PM
kaj

Originally Posted by EvoIX89
I did like the feel the 6 was better suited for the car too. but every 5 speed I've driven was solid. like, every shift felt very good, and knew you were in gear. and not much shifter slop while in gear. the 6 felt pretty sloppy while in gear for comparison. Ive read of very few guys doing a better final drive gearing in a 6 speed. so they get the 4th gear 1/4 mile speed they need and an even better 6th gear on the highway.
i wish i could rebuild my 6 but Buschur told me the new style synchro kits don't fit the OEM 6 speed gear sets, so you have to buy the new gear set from Mitsu. basically costing more than a new 6 speed trans from mitsu
I come from Hondas. My last one was an '00 ITR and my 6spd feels very similar, as far as how smooth it shifts. Maybe that's why I prefer it? I haven't noticed slop, but that may be a subjective thing.
Since I don't drag race, I'm not concerned with final drives. I'm glad, because that surely must take some of the liveliness away from the car, around town.
Your post reminds me of another reason I liked the 5spd: aftermarket support. Ikea shifters, different knobs, synchros, custom gearing, etc. Those were all reasons I was excited about the 5spd. It's a shame I just couldn't make it work for me.
Old Feb 2, 2018, 12:18 AM
Evolving Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I know I am bringing my old post back to life, but I just seeing if anything new for the 6 speed has came out or if anyone has done anything new for the 6 speed to make it better. I still have my 6 speed, and do not plan to ever getting rid of mine.
MIKE
Old Feb 2, 2018, 12:24 AM
Rom
Evolving Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Originally Posted by milruner
I know I am bringing my old post back to life, but I just seeing if anything new for the 6 speed has came out or if anyone has done anything new for the 6 speed to make it better. I still have my 6 speed, and do not plan to ever getting rid of mine.
MIKE
When I got my 6-speed built by Shep they had already stopped doing the 600whp upgrades... I had to find someone else who had previously bought one, buy it
from them, ship it to Shep, and they refreshed it. It needed a couple of replacement gears and it ended up taking several months because they had to get the special gears from Australia.. Got it all done in the end though, and it seems to be working well. Don’t think anyone is really doing much for the 6 speeds going forwards though... I love my 6-speed though

Thanks!

S.
Old Feb 2, 2018, 06:24 AM
Evolving Member

Received 26 Likes on 25 Posts
mine stopped going into third for some reason. I posted about it here and didnt get any info. Im about to drop it and see if i can figure out why. I plan to keep it.
Old Feb 2, 2018, 06:25 AM
Evolved Member

Received 233 Likes on 209 Posts
i still have my 6 speed. pre-emptively built by TRE. i'm still near stock power levels, but wanted to get this done. i believe gears were shot peened, extra oiling passages, yada yada.
Old Feb 2, 2018, 09:01 AM
Evolving Member

These are new.

http://shop.synchrotech-transmission....p3plqscsfapp0
Old Feb 2, 2018, 11:32 AM
Jp7
Evolved Member

Received 104 Likes on 79 Posts
I have the "600HP" shep 6-speed. I also have the longer final drive (M-tech, or M-factor?- I forget)

It works fine for me.

But then again I drive my car about 200 miles a year.
Old Feb 2, 2018, 01:36 PM
kaj

My 6spd grinds 3rd & 4th and also has a hard time sliding from 2nd to 3rd. I was going to have it rebuilt, but It turns out you can't buy all parts separately. Well.. and it has to be shipped freight due to JUST being over the weight limit.
I was looking at a ton of money for an OEM rebuild. Upgraded gearsets were going to be astronomical. I'm kinda bummed... I love my 6spd.
I'll keep it in case I can find a way to get 'er fixed.
Old Feb 2, 2018, 11:12 PM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by tahoeacr
Know of anyone using them or, just find them looking on the net? Would be interested in them to put in my spare 6 speed I have.
MIKE
Old Feb 2, 2018, 11:15 PM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by Jp7
I have the "600HP" shep 6-speed. I also have the longer final drive (M-tech, or M-factor?- I forget)

It works fine for me.

But then again I drive my car about 200 miles a year.

Wish I would of gotten 1 of the 600hp shep trans. What power levels are you putting down in your EVO by the way?
MIKE
Old Feb 2, 2018, 11:19 PM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by kyoo
i still have my 6 speed. pre-emptively built by TRE. i'm still near stock power levels, but wanted to get this done. i believe gears were shot peened, extra oiling passages, yada yada.
You think the TRE 6 speed build was worth it? I’m still leaning towards sending my speed trans there to get built. I’m running about 540hp in my EVO.
MIKE
Old Feb 3, 2018, 12:31 AM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by milruner
Know of anyone using them or, just find them looking on the net? Would be interested in them to put in my spare 6 speed I have.
MIKE
Not yet. They just got to production.

https://www.evolutionm.net/forums/ev...st-thread.html

Quick Reply: Looking for all EVO 8, 9 people with 6 speed still.