Notices
Evo Engine / Turbo / Drivetrain Everything from engine management to the best clutch and flywheel.

Looking for all EVO 8, 9 people with 6 speed still.

Search this Thread

Old May 27, 2018, 09:36 PM
kaj
EvoM Community Team Leader

Received 812 Likes on 677 Posts
Originally Posted by RendragSemaj
I still have my 6 speed. Just under 400awhp. I don't abuse her too much so I'm hoping it lasts. I love the 6 spd and would even consider having it rebuilt. Or is that a waste of time?
It's pricey. Shipping each way, you get charged freight rates, due to the weight. To upgrade the gearset is serous $$$. I love, love ,love my 6....but it makes no sense for me to build when I can throw in a 5spd for about $1000.
I'm saving the 6spd, though....just in case.
Old May 28, 2018, 01:53 AM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by kaj
It's pricey. Shipping each way, you get charged freight rates, due to the weight. To upgrade the gearset is serous $$$. I love, love ,love my 6....but it makes no sense for me to build when I can throw in a 5spd for about $1000.
I'm saving the 6spd, though....just in case.
Ok, I understand that, thank you. I guess the best thing to do is to make sure I have some money in place for a 5 spd in case the 6 takes a dump on me. I hear mixed reviews from people that use to have a 6 spd. They are usually glad they swapped because of the lack of power it could hold or they absolutely miss it due to the extra gearing for highway driving lol.
Old May 28, 2018, 09:26 AM
EvoM Guru

Received 101 Likes on 50 Posts
Originally Posted by kaj
...it makes no sense for me to build when I can throw in a 5spd for about $1000.
Are they that cheap and/or are you including all the conversion parts? I was looking for one for a while before giving up.
Old May 28, 2018, 03:09 PM
kaj

Originally Posted by RendragSemaj
Ok, I understand that, thank you. I guess the best thing to do is to make sure I have some money in place for a 5 spd in case the 6 takes a dump on me. I hear mixed reviews from people that use to have a 6 spd. They are usually glad they swapped because of the lack of power it could hold or they absolutely miss it due to the extra gearing for highway driving lol.
For me, it's the gearing in between all gears ,the location of the shifter in the car ,and how nice it shifts. I've had both transmissions in my car and prefer the 6 x 10000000.

Originally Posted by Butt Dyno
Are they that cheap and/or are you including all the conversion parts? I was looking for one for a while before giving up.
I picked up my trans for $900 and pieced together the mount ,shifter ,etc for about $150-200.

I'm tempted to sell off the 5spd and use the money to rebuild the 6.
Old May 30, 2018, 12:45 PM
Evolved Member

Received 233 Likes on 209 Posts
yea idc if the 6 breaks i'll keep using 6 speeds! 5 spd sucks!
Old Sep 1, 2018, 02:27 AM
Evolving Member

I believe Jack's Transmission has a build (re-enforcement) for the 6 speed!! I'm going to save up and hopefully get mine built within the next year because I still kind of prefer that 6 speed...lol
Old Sep 1, 2018, 07:16 AM
kaj

Originally Posted by Butt Dyno
That's what I paid for the trans. All the conversion parts ran me about $150-200 because I pieced it together. You will find people selling a swap "kit" (everything needed) but they will charge a lot. It's better to find parts here and there, from people selling off extra parts, etc. If you have the time, of course.
My 5 is off to Shep and when I pull the 6, I'll be saving it for when I can afford a rebuild. It will definitely be going back into the car.
Old Sep 1, 2018, 06:57 PM
Evolving Member

My car will be ready in a couple of weeks. I have a "full house" 6 speed. But im stock block with an EFR 7670. So im gunna cap it at around 450whp. I had a custom made 4.3 final drive ratio made for mine. Will report back with how it drives. Final drive is a straight cut too (low noise apparently) so will sound "sporty" haha
Old Mar 14, 2019, 02:15 PM
EvoM Guru

Received 345 Likes on 262 Posts
After having my 5 speed for 110,000 miles I switched over to the JDM MR 6 speed. Just over 1,500 miles on it now. Only using the pump gas 91 map for now which makes a little over 450whp. Have done no testing with E85 map yet. Fluid is REDLINE 75w-90NS GL-5 recommended by TRE and it shifts like butter once it's warm. When cold it can be a little notchy. I wonder if switching to MOTUL GEAR 300 75W90 would fix this. Other than that, no issues whatsoever. I love the gear distribution and the sorely needed 6th gear.
Old Mar 14, 2019, 04:18 PM
kaj

I miss my 6spd, but won't be reinstalling another. After talking to Jon @ TRE, I now know of the other issues the 6spd has that can't be fixed. I don't remember the details, but something about pins that work their way loose and fall into the trans, possibly breaking something in the process. One of the symptoms is having trouble pulling the trans out of gear and towards neutral, which my last 6psd had
I'm still not a fan of the 5spd, but eh well. If it's good enough for 99% of the peeps out there, I can deal with it.
Old Mar 14, 2019, 04:29 PM
EvoM Guru

Received 223 Likes on 155 Posts
Depends where you end up with in terms of final drive and gears. My TRE 5spd shifts like my old 6 speed but with 1 less gear lol
Old Mar 15, 2019, 02:50 PM
EvoM Guru

Received 345 Likes on 262 Posts
Originally Posted by kaj
I miss my 6spd, but won't be reinstalling another. After talking to Jon @ TRE, I now know of the other issues the 6spd has that can't be fixed. I don't remember the details, but something about pins that work their way loose and fall into the trans, possibly breaking something in the process. One of the symptoms is having trouble pulling the trans out of gear and towards neutral, which my last 6psd had
I'm still not a fan of the 5spd, but eh well. If it's good enough for 99% of the peeps out there, I can deal with it.
Yeah, the 5 speed is solid, but will eventually break too. It just takes longer Sheptrans also abandoned faith in the 6 speed. The truth is there is always a way to make a trans stronger, but it's just not smart business or time wise for them. The design itself isn't self destructive so I wouldn't call it unfixable. The flimsy shafts, case, overall reliability and cooling can be improved by changing materials, CNCing case parts, and obtaining thicker gear sets. A custom 6 speed like that would likely have you drop the subframe each time you change the clutch due to increased thickness, but it would be a force to be reckoned with. If there were more shops supporting the evo platform, this would have totally happened already.

Originally Posted by V.8MR
Depends where you end up with in terms of final drive and gears. My TRE 5spd shifts like my old 6 speed but with 1 less gear lol
My old shep 5 speed shifted like butter with very good precision up until the last 10,000 miles. I beat the hell out of it for 60,000 miles lol. The 6 speed is very similar with slightly more play, but the torquier first gear, closer gear ratios, and the quieter 6th really makes it shine.
Old Mar 15, 2019, 05:13 PM
kaj

I don't see a way to fail safe the 6spd without a redesign. The parts that were explained to me had nothing to do with strength. It's a fundamental flaw in the design of the trans.
If my 5 last 60k miles ,that's 20yrs at the rate I drive. LOL. I'd be stoked.
It would pobably last even longer since road racing with 370ftlbs shouldn't stress it much.

How long before you guys had smooth shifting? I'm at 350miles and it's still a bit notchy into 3rd.
Old Mar 16, 2019, 02:17 AM
Rom
Evolving Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Originally Posted by kaj
I don't see a way to fail safe the 6spd without a redesign. The parts that were explained to me had nothing to do with strength. It's a fundamental flaw in the design of the trans.
If my 5 last 60k miles ,that's 20yrs at the rate I drive. LOL. I'd be stoked.
It would pobably last even longer since road racing with 370ftlbs shouldn't stress it much.

How long before you guys had smooth shifting? I'm at 350miles and it's still a bit notchy into 3rd.
i got one of the last 6-speed Shep built “600WHP” 6-speed transmissions. Took 2 months to build due to sourcing the special gears from abroad. It’s been a few years (2015 to now) and still going strong. To be honest I haven’t put a huge amount of miles on it (with 6 cars it doesn’t get much use), though been driving it a lot more recently.

I still feel an external trans oil cooler would be a good idea - I just haven’t gotten around to doing it though.

Thanks!

S.
Old Mar 16, 2019, 09:03 AM
kaj

Originally Posted by Rom

i got one of the last 6-speed Shep built “600WHP” 6-speed transmissions. Took 2 months to build due to sourcing the special gears from abroad. It’s been a few years (2015 to now) and still going strong. To be honest I haven’t put a huge amount of miles on it (with 6 cars it doesn’t get much use), though been driving it a lot more recently.

I still feel an external trans oil cooler would be a good idea - I just haven’t gotten around to doing it though.

Thanks!

S.
Unfortunately, the gears are only one problem. They can be as strong as they want, but it doesn't fix the pin issue (I think that's what he said it was). As for the external cooler, I had parts sourced for a pump, cooler, lines and fittings. I was going to test drawing from the drain and pumping back into the fill. Not really sure what windage issues could occur, if any... I didn't get that far. I did go so far as to find fittings for the plug holes. That's about it I had to give up on the project when the trans died.

Quick Reply: Looking for all EVO 8, 9 people with 6 speed still.