Notices
Evo Engine / Turbo / Drivetrain Everything from engine management to the best clutch and flywheel.

Looking for all EVO 8, 9 people with 6 speed still.

Search this Thread

Old Aug 21, 2012, 12:33 AM
Evolved Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by bassnuker
Ecu boost all the way! I almost switch to an MBC but I am glad I didn't. As far as my setup; mostly bolt ons. Ets 3" FMIC, Ets uicp and licp, fic 1200 cc injectors, walb 255, spark tech ignition, map o2 housing with dump tube, Meghan downpipe, test pipe and Hks ti exhaust, and the mother of all turbos map's stock frame EF4. I also have short route uicp that I can't use yet because instill need the mini battery and a new BOV. I then got tuned up by Tom at tscomptuned @ 28psi. I like the setup for what I use it for..daily driving. The guy that had this car before me auto crossed it and has it set up for that so if I wanted to I could. However, the wife wouldn't let me keep my old car as a dd so this is all I have and I'm not trying to break it!
I was the original owner of this car, and in the 180k miles or so that I owned it, I never had an issue with the transmission, or anything else for that matter. I autocrossed it every chance I got, launched, etc, car and tranny were great.

I'm not on another EVO IX MR, and so far I've put 20k miles on it myself, the car has just about 80k miles total. So far no issues from the tranny. I've autocrossed this car about 10 events now? average of 7 runs per event (I always do double entry) so it's seen 70 autocross launches, and a few launches on the street just because launching is fun. Everything is holding up fine. The key with any car is maintenance. Chance the fluids regularly, and make sure you use the RIGHT fluids. The best stuff I have used for the transmission is either stock Diaqueen, or MOPAR's synthetic equivalent. It's the exact same 75w-85 GL4 fluid as the Diaqueen, but it is synthetic. That's all I ran in my first IX MR after I found it, and it's all I've run in the one I have now. Change it every 20-30k miles, more often if you do a lot of heavy track use, and you should be fine.
Old Aug 21, 2012, 01:51 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
i was making 350 and had my six speed go out with 83k on it most of which were ran with the pos act clutch and prolite flywheel. bought a used 6 speed with 40k on it tossed in a cci stage 3.5 clutch and stock flywheel and went 300 miles and bang trans dropped again. sent my stock one to shep for a rebuild he said that even the oem rebuild are stronger than what we have now mitsubishi upgraded them just never recalled them. cost me like 970 with fluids which they recommend the redline cocktail not diaqueen. havent tore apart second trans yet but on my first one only thing that broke was the slider he said that it just got to hot and cracked gears were good syncros were good.
Old Sep 7, 2012, 04:09 PM
EvoM Guru

Received 128 Likes on 96 Posts
For the last year, I've regularly put 420tq/485whp through 1st-3rd gear on my 6-speed on the street. 4th-6th are detuned to 400tq/485whp. Not ever tracked it. 52K miles on it now, and it shifts about the same as it did when new (1-2 a bit notchy, everything else great).
Old Sep 7, 2012, 07:03 PM
Evolved Member

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
Originally Posted by laramie_05MR
Here are a few pics. 1. old/new output shafts. 2. new FD. 3. spray bar. 4. taking apart the main shaft to install updated 3rd dbl syncros, 3-4 hub/slider and 4th syncro.
That is a cool project. Are you going to have a write up on that. Or do you know of any good sources to do a 6speed rebuild. What you are doing there would cover it if are documenting all that with more photos. I would really interested in learning what you did during that process, though I suspect its not your first time pulling a/the trans apart.

I just did cooling on my 6 speed and had surprising and dramtic temp number reduction. Understanding that the oil foaming or over heating could or could not causing syncro engagement issues is more difficult. I am not putting down enough power to get anywhere near some of you, but there is some track use.

I found in my learning so far, that my ACT HDSS was more than likely not setup properly the first time around. I followed all the write ups I could find, but the adjustment was likely a big contributor to lockout. The thing about that I have learned is its not a black and white, 1s and 0s, thing. Slightly more lockout will make the syncro work harder to engage, causing more wear. If the syncro is constantly fighting the clutch dragging a bit, it just takes one time where the heat, the drag, and bad timing will conspire to grind 4th, or whatever high gear, on the pop out onto a front straight. I did this, and the 4th syncro got slowly worse after that.

In reading through this thread again, I think many of you may actually just be suffering from poorly adjust clutches. I had to adjust the rod all the way on mine to get it right, and then did the jackstands test to prove the lack of drag. It made a big different, because I got the 'newly built' trans back, and still had some of the similar over notchiness. I dove into the adjustment task for days, and finally got it shifting like butter. On and Off track. This told me I could have had it shifting like that before I had Shep rebuild the trans, but I was wearing the syncros faster than should be.

As I step up the power a bit, I expect the setup to hold it, and to make sure heat isnt the downfall I am using a trans cooler. If you track I highly recommend it. I would expect the same heat issue however for the 5 speed on track.

And to add to the devotion comments earlier in the thread, I have always preferred the shift feel of the 6speed. The 5speed felt about as slick as my WRX did, which is not a compliment. The 6speed was superior in feel, and on track the ratios were spot on for moderate power corner exits. Never requiring 2nd.
Old Oct 2, 2012, 02:25 AM

Figured I'd chime in on this I no its alittle late. I'm put down 500hp 400ft @ 29lbs on stock bottom end and 6sp has right at 60000 miles. Can't say I've really had any problems but I will say the clutch went out on me and saving for a new one. I really wanna try and get a low 10 on stock bottom end and 6 sp just to say I did. 5 sp is in my future plans but I wanna see how far I can take it. Race gas tune and more boost I think I can succed. I only got 2 runs befor the clutch went and got lock out in 2nd for both due to the clutch. I no this cause on the 3rd run the clutch went out completely. Best was 12.3@ 122 worst of the night on 3rd run was 12.8@88mph. Leads me to my next question any body no what the record would be for stock bottom end 6 spd car cause I wanna goal in mind haha.
Old Oct 2, 2012, 05:52 AM
Evolving Member

6 speed for life.

If I did track my car tho, it would have a Shep 5 speed. I think the 6 speed is still pretty tough for what is, most of the time idiot driving is what kills the trans. Hot lapping and abuse is what kills both 5 and 6 speed transmissions.
Old Oct 30, 2012, 07:16 PM

I have around 37k on my car right now...I do drive it hard, only launched it maybe 8 times? Never actually auto crossed it, around 400/405, blew up my tranny 3 days ago. 4th was grinding for a while, then eventually just lost reverse and then 1st. About to order a sheptrans 5 speed. Debating between stage 1 or 2. Ive changed my tranny oil every 7-8k miles or so with redline. Wish I could keep the 6 speed to be honest, but not willing to risk just blowing it up again. I'll take pictures when I tear it apart. Wasnt even being hard on it when it finally went out
Old Oct 30, 2012, 10:44 PM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by maevoix
I have around 37k on my car right now...I do drive it hard, only launched it maybe 8 times? Never actually auto crossed it, around 400/405, blew up my tranny 3 days ago. 4th was grinding for a while, then eventually just lost reverse and then 1st. About to order a sheptrans 5 speed. Debating between stage 1 or 2. Ive changed my tranny oil every 7-8k miles or so with redline. Wish I could keep the 6 speed to be honest, but not willing to risk just blowing it up again. I'll take pictures when I tear it apart. Wasnt even being hard on it when it finally went out
What clutch do you have? based on my reading and personal experience Shep and shops like his make a lot of money on setups that don't have the clutches properly adjusted, and it overworks the syncro a which is what failed on your 4th most likely.

Either way you got make sure you or the installer is **** about the clutch adjustment, so there is not even the slightest drag while disengaged. It works but over stresses the syncro a and their life is cut short.

I'm with danner. 6 speed for life.

Last edited by fireroasted; Jun 21, 2013 at 12:26 PM. Reason: spelling.....
Old Jun 25, 2013, 05:34 PM

bumpp
Old Feb 9, 2014, 08:03 PM
Evolving Member

kinda bringing this back to life, seeing if anyone has done anything new to the 6 Speed to keep it alive better or to make more power on them, that they would like to share.
MIKE
Old Feb 13, 2014, 09:16 AM
Evolving Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Seems trans oil coolers are becoming ever popular for the 6spd. It's become more and more apparent that heat will ultimately kill the tranny. Since no one has stepped up to offering a strengthened gear set (as far as I know) it's the only thing available. Of course there will always be those who say it's inevitable it will fail.... 6spd4life!
Old Feb 13, 2014, 09:49 AM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by soderdna
Seems trans oil coolers are becoming ever popular for the 6spd. It's become more and more apparent that heat will ultimately kill the tranny. Since no one has stepped up to offering a strengthened gear set (as far as I know) it's the only thing available. Of course there will always be those who say it's inevitable it will fail.... 6spd4life!
Shep sold a few limited runs of upgraded gears he had made for the 6speed. Not sure if he still offers this, though. I too will be keeping my 6spd. I love how mine shifts (110k miles with 340whp too), especially compared to the 5spd.
Old Feb 13, 2014, 09:54 AM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by nirvancol

Shep sold a few limited runs of upgraded gears he had made for the 6speed. Not sure if he still offers this, though. I too will be keeping my 6spd. I love how mine shifts (110k miles with 340whp too), especially compared to the 5spd.
It was a limited run like you said. They sold all the kits then discontinued offering them due to the cost
Old Apr 28, 2014, 03:30 AM
Evolving Member

People that are putting oil coolers in to keep there 6 speed cooler what pumps are cooler you ruining also what about fittings where we getting them from? Could of sworn there was a trans cooler write up, need to look this up again. 6 speed for life.
MIKE
Old Apr 28, 2014, 11:42 AM
Evolving Member

Any over the counter oil cooler should work. Just check to see that it can handle the temps and viscosity of transmission oil. Fittings can be fab'd up at any local machine shop or you could buy a universal AN fitting kit.

Quick Reply: Looking for all EVO 8, 9 people with 6 speed still.