Notices
General Engine Management / Tuning Forum Discuss general EMS tuning concepts that do not pertain to a specfic brand or product.

SMOG HELP: OBDII won't connect

Old Feb 28, 2013, 11:07 AM
Evolving Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by codgi
Yeah this has nothing to do with the tune being locked. A tune being locked would stop you from flashing not logging and definitely not pulling OBD. Since another tool is able to read the OBD it could just be a specific setting with the ROM that is causing an issue with the smog computer. Not sure how modded the car is, but what would be interesting would be to put a bone stock ROM on the car and see if it reads or not.

I could try putting a bone stock rom on the car. I tried reading my rom from my car yesterday and it wouldn't read it from ECUflash. It read it just fine from EVOscan but then when I tried to load the rom into ecuflash it didn't work again. So maybe that's a sign that it's locked?
Old Feb 28, 2013, 10:17 PM
Evolved Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by taylorgang
I know they meant low car battery, I just figured if the car battery was low none of the scanning tools would work (evoscan, OBD2 scanner).

Ref is my last resort... if I go I'm planning on putting the stock cat and airbox back on... I'd still have aftermarket injectors, cams, and cat-back exhaust though... so not sure if that would even work I've heard refs are *****

My car is bone stock on the outside, even the engine bay looks stock. black recirculated BOV (could replace with stock) and perrin intake filter (can replace with stock box).
I would put the air box on for sure, I doubt the perrin intake is CARB approved. How big of cams are we talking about? Larger cams produce higher levels of NOx, bigger cams are harder to pass. Also would of advice, get the catalytic converter HOT as you can before the test. Hotter the cat, the more efficient it works.

Please save yourself a headache and stay away from a ref.. They actually know their ****, and they know EVos like to be modded

Last edited by BEKevo; Feb 28, 2013 at 10:19 PM.
Old Mar 1, 2013, 12:03 AM
Evolved Member

Received 41 Likes on 37 Posts
I could try putting a bone stock rom on the car. I tried reading my rom from my car yesterday and it wouldn't read it from ECUflash. It read it just fine from EVOscan but then when I tried to load the rom into ecuflash it didn't work again. So maybe that's a sign that it's locked?
Odd that it reads from EvoScan and not EcuFlash but I've never used EvoScan to pull the rom so maybe it uses a different technique then EcuFlash. That does indeed sound like its locked. Did you try ECUUnlocker?
Old Mar 3, 2013, 10:48 AM
Evolving Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I'm able to flash the car though. I've changed maps a few times (turning on NLTS, then turning it off). I wouldn't be able to do that if the ecu was locked, right?

I haven't tried using ecuunlocker yet but I may try it
Old Mar 3, 2013, 10:49 PM
Evolved Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
My car did similar inconsistent things when my battery was low. Swapped to a new one....all my weird evoscan/ecuflash issues went away
Old Mar 4, 2013, 11:40 AM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by SmurfZilla
My car did similar inconsistent things when my battery was low. Swapped to a new one....all my weird evoscan/ecuflash issues went away
This problem seems to be associated with 9's moreso than 8's. Not saying youre wrong or anything. It's just the OP has an 8. Hopefully the OP checked the battery first though
Old Mar 4, 2013, 11:44 AM
Evolved Member

I'm able to flash the car though. I've changed maps a few times (turning on NLTS, then turning it off). I wouldn't be able to do that if the ecu was locked, right?

I haven't tried using ecuunlocker yet but I may try it
Very weird symptoms you're having, as codgi mentioned. Usually people read/ write ROM via Ecuflash..

If you can access "NLTS", you've accessed the ROM aka your ECU shouldn't be locked. Especially if you've changed the maps a couple times. I wouldn't mess with an Ecuunlocker, unless you didn't have to. Who previously tooned your car? TSComp? You should talk to him, if so.
Old Feb 17, 2018, 02:19 PM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by codgi
Yeah this has nothing to do with the tune being locked. A tune being locked would stop you from flashing not logging and definitely not pulling OBD. Since another tool is able to read the OBD it could just be a specific setting with the ROM that is causing an issue with the smog computer. Not sure how modded the car is, but what would be interesting would be to put a bone stock ROM on the car and see if it reads or not.
Any idea what setting could cause this. I am having a similar problem. Changed ECU loaded up my settings and still the same thing. Battery is good voltage on pin 16, pin 7 to ECU pin 62 is good. Can read and write to the ECU but will not connect to my scan tool or the state computer. At a loss.

What voltage should be on pin 62 on the ECU? Is pin 62 the voltage source?

Thanks.

Last edited by golruss; Feb 18, 2018 at 06:43 PM.
Old May 17, 2019, 11:12 PM
Evolved Member

Received 14 Likes on 9 Posts
Anyone figure this out? I'm having the same issue at the emissions center with a USDM IX. Readiness monitors all pass and no cels, but the state inspector's scanner won't connect. Apparently the voltage is reading really low from the OBD to the scanner at around 2 volts instead of 12V+ which apparently means it's not communicating. I helped the inspector get it to start reading, but the calibration ID wasn't something they have in their database. The only adjustment to the stock ROM is the immobilizer is disabled as the immobilizer is unknown. I'm wondering if this is the issue. Anyone of the previous posters and OP have the immobilizer disabled? I also have the clutch safety switch disconnected, but don't believe that would cause an issue or is related.

Also, I've tried two different ECU's and two different ROM's 88590015 and 88950016.
Old May 19, 2019, 05:36 PM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by 10isace
Anyone figure this out? I'm having the same issue at the emissions center with a USDM IX. Readiness monitors all pass and no cels, but the state inspector's scanner won't connect. Apparently the voltage is reading really low from the OBD to the scanner at around 2 volts instead of 12V+ which apparently means it's not communicating. I helped the inspector get it to start reading, but the calibration ID wasn't something they have in their database. The only adjustment to the stock ROM is the immobilizer is disabled as the immobilizer is unknown. I'm wondering if this is the issue. Anyone of the previous posters and OP have the immobilizer disabled? I also have the clutch safety switch disconnected, but don't believe that would cause an issue or is related.

Also, I've tried two different ECU's and two different ROM's 88590015 and 88950016.
My problem was the baud rate in the bin file got changed for some reason during a dyno tuning session. Make sure that "BaudRate 1_OBD" is set to 15625. My immobilizer is not disabled. ROM 96534706. In my case I could read and edit the ROM but state computer could not connect to it. Hope this helps.
The following users liked this post:
10isace (May 20, 2019)
Old May 20, 2019, 08:42 AM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by golruss
My problem was the baud rate in the bin file got changed for some reason during a dyno tuning session. Make sure that "BaudRate 1_OBD" is set to 15625. My immobilizer is not disabled. ROM 96534706. In my case I could read and edit the ROM but state computer could not connect to it. Hope this helps.
Interesting! My Baud rate is set to 41666. I've never messed with this table in 11 years of tuning. I'll give it a shot. Thanks!
Old May 20, 2019, 03:59 PM
Evolving Member

Check it with your code scanner before going for inspection.
Old May 20, 2019, 06:30 PM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by golruss
Check it with your code scanner before going for inspection.
My cheap scanner works flawlessly with correct Readiness Monitors passing and no CEL's. The Snap On scanners at the state inspector's wouldn't communicate. They have like 3 or 4 of them. Their emissions computer communicates though, but that PC looks ancient. Mitsubishi's scanner wouldn't connect just like the state inspectors. So my theory is the cheaper scanners are using the same parameters as EvoScan. EvoScan reads no problem and all Readiness Monitors are passing on stock ROM 88590015 and 88590016, but just won't communicate for the ref's needs. He said that's highly unusual. So I'm really crossing my fingers for the OBD Baud rate to fix it. Not sure how to read that on the scanner, unless I spring for a Snap On scanner (which I'm looking into).

Thanks for your help!!!
Old May 22, 2019, 08:41 PM

Received 12 Likes on 8 Posts
if you've tried multiple ECU'S with multiple ROMS, we could maybe eliminate those. How about wiring? trace back any modified wires, and check grounds all over?... i know nothing but just a thought... if the battery was relocated could there be insufficient voltage going to ECU? How are the pins looking for the OBD port? etc etc.
Old May 24, 2019, 12:03 AM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by EV09AWD
if you've tried multiple ECU'S with multiple ROMS, we could maybe eliminate those. How about wiring? trace back any modified wires, and check grounds all over?... i know nothing but just a thought... if the battery was relocated could there be insufficient voltage going to ECU? How are the pins looking for the OBD port? etc etc.
Thanks for the suggestions. I checked the continuity of the wires to the ECU and they check out and pins look good. Also a good full size battery in stock location. I get 12V resting from the battery. OBD pin 16 gets 12V also with engine off. I'm talking to the state ref via email. I think I may try this ECU I swapped in and see if Mitsubishi can flash the latest TSB flash with the immobilizer.

Last edited by 10isace; May 27, 2019 at 09:22 PM.