Notices
General Engine Management / Tuning Forum Discuss general EMS tuning concepts that do not pertain to a specfic brand or product.

SMOG HELP: OBDII won't connect

Search this Thread

Old Feb 25, 2013, 03:30 PM
Evolving Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
SMOG HELP: OBDII won't connect

Went to get my car smogged today. Everything is fine but my car's OBDII wouldn't connect to the computer they had at the shop... the tech said it could be a problem with their computer connecting with my car's particular OBDII. So I went to a different smog shop with a different machine/computer and it didn't work there either.

From what I've searched it seems like a problem with the fuse or the wiring...
my car reads evo-scan just fine

So right now I have no clue what the problem could be... any help?
I guess I could try checking each individual fuse and wire...

EDIT: Maybe it could have something to do with my tune/ECUflash settings?

Last edited by taylorgang; Feb 25, 2013 at 03:36 PM.
Old Feb 25, 2013, 04:11 PM
Evolved Member

Received 12 Likes on 11 Posts
tune possibly locked?
Old Feb 25, 2013, 07:34 PM
Evolved Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
battery low?
Old Feb 25, 2013, 07:47 PM
Evolving Member

Thanks for the responses guys! I had a friend with an evo and his car wouldn't connect to evoscan because his battery didn't have enough juice. I think my battery is fine, is there a way to check? Or should I try replacing battery.

How would I know if my tune was locked?
Old Feb 25, 2013, 07:53 PM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by taylorgang
Thanks for the responses guys! I had a friend with an evo and his car wouldn't connect to evoscan because his battery didn't have enough juice. I think my battery is fine, is there a way to check? Or should I try replacing battery.

How would I know if my tune was locked?

Load test the battery. Take a reading with everything off then turn on your lights. See how much it drops. It shouldn't drop below 12 volts. You can also see if your car will start with them on it should no problem. Just a poor mans way to do it.

No idea to your second question.
Old Feb 25, 2013, 08:00 PM
Evolved Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Had the same problem running the EUDM universal ROM 9653... They scanned for CEL and emissions equipment and it worked..Only didn't work when they tried to read rpm on their computer while dyno/ sniffing..

This was the computer connected to the dyno and the sniffer at the smog station? If so, that's exactly what happened to me. They ended up just looking at the RPM by eye, while doing the sniffer vs connected to the machine. I have no reasonable explanation for this though. Battery was fine. Evoscan works fine, and I do my own tuning.. So it's not locked lol

Last edited by BEKevo; Feb 25, 2013 at 08:05 PM.
Old Feb 25, 2013, 08:12 PM
Evolved Member

-delete

Last edited by BEKevo; Feb 25, 2013 at 09:28 PM.
Old Feb 26, 2013, 01:27 AM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by BEKevo
Had the same problem running the EUDM universal ROM 9653... They scanned for CEL and emissions equipment and it worked..Only didn't work when they tried to read rpm on their computer while dyno/ sniffing..

This was the computer connected to the dyno and the sniffer at the smog station? If so, that's exactly what happened to me. They ended up just looking at the RPM by eye, while doing the sniffer vs connected to the machine. I have no reasonable explanation for this though. Battery was fine. Evoscan works fine, and I do my own tuning.. So it's not locked lol
I think that's what happened to me... the tech showed me the computer; it couldn't even establish a connection with my OBDII. Happened with two different shops. I don't think my tune is locked because I'm able to edit it whenever I want to turn on/off NLTS and do other things. I guess it could be a battery issue. What both of the techs said is that it's probably a blown fuse or an issue with the wiring.

The first tech said that he couldn't smog it without the OBDII because it would raise red flags at DMV or something like that.

I'm in California
Old Feb 26, 2013, 07:28 AM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by taylorgang
I think that's what happened to me... the tech showed me the computer; it couldn't even establish a connection with my OBDII. Happened with two different shops. I don't think my tune is locked because I'm able to edit it whenever I want to turn on/off NLTS and do other things. I guess it could be a battery issue. What both of the techs said is that it's probably a blown fuse or an issue with the wiring.

The first tech said that he couldn't smog it without the OBDII because it would raise red flags at DMV or something like that.

I'm in California
You need to establish whether or not you can scan your car with a traditional OBD2 scanner aka one at Autozone... See if you can at least do standard routines, like check for CEL's and emissions equipment. Should work, if Evoscan/ Ecuflash works for you. I highly doubt a "blown" fuse or burnt relay, as the techs at the smog station were suggesting. If that were the case, you wouldnt have access to NLTS

Are you on a Tephra ROM by chance? I'm assuming you are, because of your NLTS feature.
Old Feb 27, 2013, 09:15 AM
Evolving Member

You need to establish whether or not you can scan your car with a traditional OBD2 scanner aka one at Autozone... See if you can at least do standard routines, like check for CEL's and emissions equipment. Should work, if Evoscan/ Ecuflash works for you. I highly doubt a "blown" fuse or burnt relay, as the techs at the smog station were suggesting. If that were the case, you wouldnt have access to NLTS

Are you on a Tephra ROM by chance? I'm assuming you are, because of your NLTS feature.
Yes, I am on a tephra rom. Ill go to auto zone today and see if they have a scanner
Old Feb 27, 2013, 10:57 AM
Evolving Member

Just tested evoscan... it connects right up and logs. Going to Sears to see if they can scan it with OBDII scanner
Old Feb 27, 2013, 12:28 PM
Evolving Member

Connected my car to an OBDII scanner tool and it worked. The tool has no batterys, it is powered by the car, so I know that it's getting power. Was also able to scan for codes (there are none).

Made an appointment at the state referee...
Old Feb 27, 2013, 06:30 PM
Evolved Member

I think by low battery, everyone meant your actual car battery, not the scanner battery. Thats weird though, coincidently im on the Tephra ROM too... Id go to a different station before I went to a state ref. If you go to the ref, you better have your car in tip top OE "looking" shape (ie all emissions and practically no modifications other than whats permitted by CA). According to your signature, your on e85 making 400+ thats why I mentioned that.
Old Feb 27, 2013, 09:03 PM
Evolved Member

Received 41 Likes on 37 Posts
Yeah this has nothing to do with the tune being locked. A tune being locked would stop you from flashing not logging and definitely not pulling OBD. Since another tool is able to read the OBD it could just be a specific setting with the ROM that is causing an issue with the smog computer. Not sure how modded the car is, but what would be interesting would be to put a bone stock ROM on the car and see if it reads or not.
Old Feb 28, 2013, 11:04 AM
Evolving Member

I think by low battery, everyone meant your actual car battery, not the scanner battery. Thats weird though, coincidently im on the Tephra ROM too... Id go to a different station before I went to a state ref. If you go to the ref, you better have your car in tip top OE "looking" shape (ie all emissions and practically no modifications other than whats permitted by CA). According to your signature, your on e85 making 400+ thats why I mentioned that.
I know they meant low car battery, I just figured if the car battery was low none of the scanning tools would work (evoscan, OBD2 scanner).

Ref is my last resort... if I go I'm planning on putting the stock cat and airbox back on... I'd still have aftermarket injectors, cams, and cat-back exhaust though... so not sure if that would even work I've heard refs are *****

My car is bone stock on the outside, even the engine bay looks stock. black recirculated BOV (could replace with stock) and perrin intake filter (can replace with stock box).

Quick Reply: SMOG HELP: OBDII won't connect