Notices
Evo Electrical / Audio / Security Discuss electrical systems, audio system upgrades, or alarm configurations.

Evo 9 Ralliart Gauge Cluster

Search this Thread

Old Apr 27, 2013, 08:41 PM
Evolved Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Evo 9 Ralliart Gauge Cluster

To evom, I need your advice. I am trying to buy a evo 9. I checked one out today and I love everything about it except the evo 9 ralliart gauge cluster. It is read in "kmh" so the reading on the odometer is 89XXX and the seller is saying it is actually 57k in miles. From my research, the mileage is stored in the cluster and not on an Mitsu ECU. So I'm assuming there is no way to determine the actual mileage on this car? I ran the carfax and the last reading was at 89xxx since thats what it shows on the ralliart cluster. Any opinions on this? Keep looking?
Old Apr 27, 2013, 08:47 PM
Evolved Member

Yes the mileage is stored in the cluster. The only way to determine how genuine the mileage is, if you can, get a running record of recorded miles and line them up with what they should be. It's up to you how comfortable you are with being not as sure as you could be.

On a side note, that cluster could make you a few $$$ if you find the right buyer, they're worth a mint.
Old Apr 27, 2013, 09:24 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by NorCal Lancer
To evom, I need your advice. I am trying to buy a evo 9. I checked one out today and I love everything about it except the evo 9 ralliart gauge cluster. It is read in "kmh" so the reading on the odometer is 89XXX and the seller is saying it is actually 57k in miles. From my research, the mileage is stored in the cluster and not on an Mitsu ECU. So I'm assuming there is no way to determine the actual mileage on this car? I ran the carfax and the last reading was at 89xxx since thats what it shows on the ralliart cluster. Any opinions on this? Keep looking?
wait what? im confused now
Old Apr 27, 2013, 09:42 PM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by SUDDOTH 2
wait what? im confused now

the evo I was interested in buying has a ralliart gauge cluster installed that is read in KMH instead of MPH. Right now its read at 89XXX km on the odometer. The guy is claiming it is actually 57k in miles (89000km converts to about 57000 miles) He said previous owner installed it professionally, that is why it is accurate. I am asking if there is any way to confirm the actual mileage or should I stay away from this deal? Car honestly seems legit, but I want to avoid taking chances.
Old Apr 27, 2013, 09:45 PM
Evolving Member

Pretty much all you can do I carfax. Thats why its harder with person to person sales. Its all hear say
Old Apr 27, 2013, 09:45 PM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by AndyCT9W
Yes the mileage is stored in the cluster. The only way to determine how genuine the mileage is, if you can, get a running record of recorded miles and line them up with what they should be. It's up to you how comfortable you are with being not as sure as you could be.

On a side note, that cluster could make you a few $$$ if you find the right buyer, they're worth a mint.
Thank you for your quick reply. I'm not sure how many records this guy has of the vehicle. He is the 3rd owner, the 2nd owner was his friend. The guy seems very honest and the car itself does not seem like it would be more than 60k miles. I'm sleeping on this, haha
Old Apr 27, 2013, 09:50 PM
Evolved Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
50-80-120... doesn't matter... how its driven matters and you can't find that anywhere... i have 50k on my odo and i my parts have 0 miles on them at this point. i literally just rebuilt it from the ground up... my friend is at 120 and his car runs better then my boy with 80... all evo 9's btw.
Old Apr 27, 2013, 10:58 PM
Evolved Member

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts
Thank you for your quick reply. I'm not sure how many records this guy has of the vehicle. He is the 3rd owner, the 2nd owner was his friend. The guy seems very honest and the car itself does not seem like it would be more than 60k miles. I'm sleeping on this, haha
If it has the cluster from the FQ Ralliarts, the whole scale is usually wrong if the swap was done wrong.

Have you driven the car? The regular speedos sweep roughly 300 degrees, whereas the Ralliart clusters sweep much less. I posted a pic in another thread about this not long ago... but pics are rare and I'm tired.

IF that cluster is an FQ cluster, and it's working correctly... you're right that they're worth a pretty penny. BUT, ANY car with "messed up" mileage on it is going to be much more difficult to resell outside of a niche market.

It's even difficult to sell INSIDE a niche market... as you can see.
Old Apr 27, 2013, 11:04 PM
Evolved Member

In NZ we have a 6 monthly road fitness check that also records the mileage which gets put onto a database which you can get you purchase our version of carfax. You get every recording so you can see any irregularities.

If you're comfortable with the guys honesty than there shouldn't be too much to worry about. As Joseph said, it is more of a case of how the car has been treated than the mileage on it. Unabused, well maintained evos with higher mileage aren't bad buys, just look at 4RETECH.
Old Apr 27, 2013, 11:08 PM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by ProPilot04
If it has the cluster from the FQ Ralliarts, the whole scale is usually wrong if the swap was done wrong.

Have you driven the car? The regular speedos sweep roughly 300 degrees, whereas the Ralliart clusters sweep much less. I posted a pic in another thread about this not long ago... but pics are rare and I'm tired.

IF that cluster is an FQ cluster, and it's working correctly... you're right that they're worth a pretty penny. BUT, ANY car with "messed up" mileage on it is going to be much more difficult to resell outside of a niche market.

It's even difficult to sell INSIDE a niche market... as you can see.
I thought he was talking about this unit. I wouldn't mind having one.

Old Apr 27, 2013, 11:08 PM

The only way to determine how genuine the mileage is

Old Apr 27, 2013, 11:31 PM
Evolved Member

Andy, you are correct. This is the one currently installed in the car. Car is in great shape and only asking for $20k. Thinking about it..
Old Apr 27, 2013, 11:58 PM
Evolved Member

Andy, you are correct. This is the one currently installed in the car. Car is in great shape and only asking for $20k. Thinking about it..
Those clusters are few and far between, they have been discontinued. If you play your cards right (possibly selling internationally) you could get a grand or more for it. Then you have a 19k evo

Last edited by AndyCT9W; Apr 28, 2013 at 12:00 AM.
Old Apr 30, 2013, 06:00 AM
Evolved Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Those clusters are few and far between, they have been discontinued. If you play your cards right (possibly selling internationally) you could get a grand or more for it. Then you have a 19k evo
The automatic version will be even rarer
You forget to factor in the cost of finding an OE cluster to fit in if the owner does not like it
So more like US$800 saving than US$1k saving
Old Apr 30, 2013, 08:54 AM
Evolved Member

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

I stand corrected... I thought he was talking about the FQ RalliArt clusters...

Quick Reply: Evo 9 Ralliart Gauge Cluster