Notices
Evo General Discuss any generalized technical Evo related topics that may not fit into the other forums. Please do not post tech and rumor threads here.
Sponsored by: RavSpec - JDM Wheels Central

omni 4 bar sensor install, need help.

Search this Thread

Old Jun 20, 2013, 12:25 AM
Evolved Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
omni 4 bar sensor install, need help.

i have a omni 4 bar sensor, i bought one because i wanted to convert to speed density on my stock ecu, but to my amazement when i looked at my intake manifold i saw that the place where the sensor goes is blocked,...

now my question is how do i install the omni 4 bar?
Old Jun 20, 2013, 12:32 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
You can get a MAP sensor adapter and tee off a vacuum line from the intake manifold into it.

here is an example of the adapter
http://www.jmfabrications.com/store/...r-Adapter.html
Old Jun 23, 2013, 03:15 PM
Evolving Member

Or go JDM 3 bar and keep your stock look,your choice.
Old Jun 24, 2013, 03:15 PM

i have the omni 4 bar map.. direct replacement for the stock mdp. I did not have this issue on my 2004 evo 8
Old Jun 24, 2013, 11:03 PM
Evolved Member

i have posted these pics, i have a place where the map sensor should go but its blocked off,now is there another place where it can go or do i need an adapter?
Attached Thumbnails omni 4 bar sensor install, need help.-rsz_20130618_150013.jpg  
Old Jun 25, 2013, 09:41 AM

you have 3 choices, easiest being what blr2g said in regard to the adapter... not sure if your going to get slightly different readings from a vacuum T vs readings from something directly attached to the IM.

2nd, you can remove the manifold and tap that location, because that is where mine was from the factory. Did someone block that off or did it come like that?

third, I would modify the PCV system. You could remove the hose for the pcv valve and route it to a catch can (valve cover to catch can). Do the same with the breather line going from valve cover to the intake (T with the other line from the head and vent the catch can to atmosphere). cap off the port on the intake where that hose connected (im assuming that you are still metering air and not yet on SD).

The you can remove the fitting on the IM where the hose for the intake to pcv valve was at. You'll still need the adapter above, and you would need to use a fully threaded adapter instead of a threaded hose barb, then screw the adapter into where the old adapter was. This would be the easiest way that I can think of to have a directly attached map without pulling the IM, however the adapter above is the easiest and may work just fine.

Maybe someone who is using the adapter could chime in?
Old Jun 25, 2013, 06:54 PM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by silent_white
you have 3 choices, easiest being what blr2g said in regard to the adapter... not sure if your going to get slightly different readings from a vacuum T vs readings from something directly attached to the IM.

2nd, you can remove the manifold and tap that location, because that is where mine was from the factory. Did someone block that off or did it come like that?

third, I would modify the PCV system. You could remove the hose for the pcv valve and route it to a catch can (valve cover to catch can). Do the same with the breather line going from valve cover to the intake (T with the other line from the head and vent the catch can to atmosphere). cap off the port on the intake where that hose connected (im assuming that you are still metering air and not yet on SD).

The you can remove the fitting on the IM where the hose for the intake to pcv valve was at. You'll still need the adapter above, and you would need to use a fully threaded adapter instead of a threaded hose barb, then screw the adapter into where the old adapter was. This would be the easiest way that I can think of to have a directly attached map without pulling the IM, however the adapter above is the easiest and may work just fine.

Maybe someone who is using the adapter could chime in?
when i bought the car it came like that with it blocked off, i still dont know why...

if i tap into the manifold, where will the wiring be hooked to?

the sensor goes in to the manifold, but the wiring goes where?
Old Jun 29, 2013, 02:19 AM

there should be a factory plug for the mdp... are you running factory ecu?
Old Jun 29, 2013, 02:04 PM
Evolving Member

Received 20 Likes on 19 Posts
My EDM evo 9 was the same way, had a shop drill it and installed an omnipower 4bar.
I tried a GM Omnipower map sensor but it was a pain to get it to work.