Notices
Evo General Discuss any generalized technical Evo related topics that may not fit into the other forums. Please do not post tech and rumor threads here.
Sponsored by: RavSpec - JDM Wheels Central

Bad power steering rack, bad power steering pump or both?

Old Aug 2, 2014, 05:50 PM
Evolved Member

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
Exclamation Bad power steering rack, bad power steering pump or both?

Hey all, I'm hoping that someone who is more familiar with power steering systems can help me before I go ahead and swap out parts.

I have an 03 Evo 8 with around 116K.

Ever since I bought it at 85k there was some seepage around the power steering reservoir cap. I finally ordered a new cap and it was still seeping. I just had my first trackday after building the car and after my first session fluid blew out from the cap and went everywhere. (Cap was still on)

I thought that there may be air so I rebled it.

Towards the end of this session the car started to pull right.

After popping the good I found fluid again overflowed.

To be clear there are no leaks on the steering rack or ps pump.

Also the fluid in the reservoir is halfway up min fill.

Alignment on the car is perfect. Tie rods are good as well.

My opinion is that the regulator in the pump has failed so at high rpm the fluid pressure sky rockets. This is why it's blowing out at the cap.

I also think the rack is bad now since it's pulling the car to the right. Another issue is that a half turn away from full lock the wheel gets very hard to turn.

My diagnosis is that the pump and rack are toast.

Thank you in advance!
Old Aug 2, 2014, 06:45 PM
Evolving Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
My feeling here is that you may be right about both parts being worn out. Yet since the PS pump is the quickest, cheapest and easiest to replace, I would start there.

If one of the reed valves in the pump becomes seized, then it could allow the fluid to begin to aerate, creating air bubbles. Think of it like when you mix a batch of pancake batter, using the whisk to put air into it, similar concept, creates more volume. Mix it with heat (more expansion), and you have a classic scenario for overflowing the reservoir.

Also, since you describe that your steering gets 'very' hard a half turn from the lock is a positive identification of a pump failure. Since the pump works the hardest towards the locks.

Your steering rack is puzzling to me and I have never heard or seen of a pump causing the rack to go all bananas like you describe. All it really is, is a ball on a worm gear with fluid pressure doing the work, so I'm lost on that one, sorry.

Yet it could be that pieces of your pump have found their way into the rack and are getting involved. Perhaps a simple flush of the system during pump replacement might clear that up.

Good luck OP.

Last edited by cwyteboi; Aug 2, 2014 at 06:53 PM. Reason: incomplete discription
Old Aug 2, 2014, 07:35 PM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by cwyteboi
My feeling here is that you may be right about both parts being worn out. Yet since the PS pump is the quickest, cheapest and easiest to replace, I would start there.

If one of the reed valves in the pump becomes seized, then it could allow the fluid to begin to aerate, creating air bubbles. Think of it like when you mix a batch of pancake batter, using the whisk to put air into it, similar concept, creates more volume. Mix it with heat (more expansion), and you have a classic scenario for overflowing the reservoir.

Also, since you describe that your steering gets 'very' hard a half turn from the lock is a positive identification of a pump failure. Since the pump works the hardest towards the locks.

Your steering rack is puzzling to me and I have never heard or seen of a pump causing the rack to go all bananas like you describe. All it really is, is a ball on a worm gear with fluid pressure doing the work, so I'm lost on that one, sorry.

Yet it could be that pieces of your pump have found their way into the rack and are getting involved. Perhaps a simple flush of the system during pump replacement might clear that up.

Good luck OP.
That makes sense to me!

Also just got it home on my trailer.

I drove it around the block and the steering wheel now must be at the 11 o'clock position to go straight.

I have a feeling the rack and pinion skipped on the rack and now it's off center.

I'm assuming that it could happen overtime.

I really appreciate your input.
Old Aug 2, 2014, 07:52 PM
Evolving Member

Hey, no problem.

I have never heard of a steering rack skipping, yet I can't speak to the impossibility of it either. Keep us informed and let us know how you work this out.
Old Aug 5, 2014, 04:59 PM
Evolved Member

So pump is bad.

Rack is fine!

Car was pulling because one of my tires jumped a belt!

Right now I'm contemplating getting the Buschur electric pump. I'll see what happens.

Thanks for the help!
Old Aug 6, 2014, 04:06 PM
Evolving Member

Glad you got it figured out and the rack is fine. What PITA that would be to replace.

My friend has an S2000 and those have electric pumps, I couldn't tell the difference.

Plus, it's one less fluid to have and would help clean up the engine bay perhaps. Less rotating mass, so on and so forth.

Last edited by cwyteboi; Aug 6, 2014 at 04:07 PM. Reason: correction
Old Aug 7, 2014, 08:23 AM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by cwyteboi
Glad you got it figured out and the rack is fine. What PITA that would be to replace.

My friend has an S2000 and those have electric pumps, I couldn't tell the difference.

Plus, it's one less fluid to have and would help clean up the engine bay perhaps. Less rotating mass, so on and so forth.
I'm looking forward, I'm expecting it to run cooler as well . Not located next to the exhaust manifold, also less fluid friction.

If it doesn't fit I have an oem one coming as well!

Thanks for the help again