Notices
Evo General Discuss any generalized technical Evo related topics that may not fit into the other forums. Please do not post tech and rumor threads here.
Sponsored by: RavSpec - JDM Wheels Central

Been out of the game for a few years, need your input.

Search this Thread

Old Aug 17, 2014, 04:23 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Been out of the game for a few years, need your input.

Hey, EVOM!

Long story short I have been out of the evo game for about 4 years, I was building a monster but lost interest and decided to get into something else.... Now I want to finish building my 8. As it sit's right now, I went with a Jackson Auto machine 2.3l and a gt30, EMS v1 and it blew up on the dyno, thanks to an awesome tuner. After spending close to 20k on the build I said F it and put it in storage.

Well last week I started the tear down and now know what I need to get this girl going again. But I need your input on what has been proven over the years and what is new and better.

My budget is about 10k for hard part's.

And I would like to be close to 400whp on 91 octane with methanol (E85 is not an option for where I live) and Im at about 2000ft above sea level

Here is a list of what i have questions about:

Clutch:

I had a cusco/exedy twin in for 20k miles before the last build but upon re inspection and given all the new stuff on the market I'm thinking about getting a different twin set up since I think i should do a full rebuild on this one with cost of about $1200..... So what would recommend as a replacement.

Methanol:

I have a AEM set up that is brand new and has been sitting in a box for years. should i get something like an aquamist? Are they still good? Is there something new that is better. I will be relying heavily on this for the power im looking for on 91 oct.

ECU:

My EMS is old v1 but worked great for the time. However as times have changed the stock ecu with a speed density set up sounds kinda cool.

Turbo:

Had a gt3076r and some how that went missing while my "friend" was storing the car for me, as well as my tial wastegate and BOV so in need a complete new hot parts set up. all i have is the manifold. DP is missing. I read alot about the improvements of stock frame turbo's over the years and think I might want to go that route. But I dont know if I should go with FP, Blouch, MAP, or do the newish gt30x.

Intercooler:

Blank canvas thinking ETS with their piping kit. batteries already in the trunk so this should be easy

Intake manifold:

I have a AMS velocity stack SMIM but I think a ported stock manifold would be better for my application, so who's good right now....

CAMS:

I have HKS 282's but from what i have read they suck now. gsc 272's is what im leaning towards... yeah, ney?

Springs:

want some new ones, I dont know the spec's on the ones i have.

Block:

I have the original long block from before i went with the JAM motor. It is fine and has about 40k on it. so who should i send it to? Buschur? I like there 3k-ish build they do but if there's someone else that is within there price point for the same quality let me know.

Timing belt:

Gates? Oem?

TLR

i have a budget of 10k to get my car going again, everything is built but need new hot parts and motor. don't know whats good anymore.

Old Aug 17, 2014, 06:39 PM
Evolved Member

Received 16 Likes on 15 Posts
As far as ems is concerned you should get a newer one since the new ones offer way better fail safes if you run lean ie. meth crapping out.
It is much safer to run meth now with a wideband failsafe and I am on a gt3076 doing near 550 dynojet on a 2L.
Turbo wise the 7163 borgwarner looks interesting but you'll be paying more to get it working with twin scroll because it forces you to use one internal gate and one external gate.
I would go with a gtx3076 and a new twin scroll manifold while your at it. Many will suggest non oem turbo shops but I dont want to take chances with extra time/labour involved in having to take it apart and mail it back for warranty work if something isn't right. That is the reason I stick with big oem turbo manufacturers.

MAP offers full engine builds for a good price.

Cams i'd def recommend getting the GSC R2's they are meant for strokers and torque.

Last edited by Grimgrak; Aug 17, 2014 at 06:43 PM.