Notices
Evo General Discuss any generalized technical Evo related topics that may not fit into the other forums. Please do not post tech and rumor threads here.
Sponsored by: RavSpec - JDM Wheels Central

Dealer Horror Story, Ourisman Mitsubishi, Evo IX Takata Airbag Recall

Search this Thread

Old Jul 26, 2015, 02:46 PM
Evolved Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Show up at Dealer at scheduled 7:30 AM sharp on Monday morning to get the recalled Takata airbag removed and replaced. I'm second in line. No employees show up until just before 8:00 AM. I have to listen to the lady who was there first (for the same issue) gripe for 10 minutes. Service Tech tells me there's another recall for the “Power Control Module”. I tell him, “do NOT reflash my custom tune.” He says he'll just put me down for the airbag (you think you know where this is going).

I head over to the customer lounge on the Chevrolet side because they have WiFi and I work remotely until 10:30 when I call over to service and they say it will be done at 11:00. I call again at 11 and they say "go ahead and walk over, it's done and coming out now". I go over, pop my head in, they say "you're all set, keys in the car", I say “thanks”, jump in my car and go to work.

I drive across DC (about 35 mins) arrive just before 12, get out of the car to start walking to the building and press the Arm button on my Viper keyfob. Nothing. Press it again. Nothing. Damn. Try it 3 more times. This is not a coincidence. I call them up. “You screwed up my car alarm when you replaced my airbag.” Them: “Oh. Ok, well, just bring it back in.” I have to get the battery for my laptop, that kills another 15 mins.

Back in my car, I drive back across town another 35 mins to arrive there around 1:00 PM. Service Tech comes out and starts looking up under my dash figuring out which model of Viper I have (5901) and fumbling around. He sees some wires going nowhere, I tell him I don't use the multi function capabilities, only the alarm and nothing else. No remote start. He notices that the clutch starter defeat is unplugged, I have no clue how but I had noticed a few weeks earlier.

After an hour of this, Tech calls an alarm installer he knows, the guy happens to be in the neighborhood and is there within another half hour. He watches the Tech fumbling around for a while explaining what he's tried so far who then mentions there are some jumper switches, next thing you know he brings them out, the alarm guys says “that's exactly what I DIDN'T want you to do.”, the tech says “no problem, I know how they were” and puts them back (hopefully, the way they were). The alarm guy takes over and the first thing he checks is the antenna, says they get yanked out frequently. Sure enough, five minutes later the alarm is responding to the key fob. Huge sigh of relief, I'm ecstatic and telling the guy “thank you so much!”

Alarm guy hops in his car and drives away. I realize I still need to do a function check, so I lock the car and start testing and none of the doors will trip the alarm. The tech gets back under there and tries but fails to fix it. He calls his friend and tries again. Nothing. He finally downloads the schematic for the 5901 and eventually gets the driver side door working again. He demonstrates that there is only one wire exposed and it only goes to the driver door. This alarm was never installed correctly in the first place (thanks so much, DTM: https://www.evolutionm.net/forums/ev...ml#post7125969), only the driver door actually trips the alarm. It would still trip with vibration if they came in another door, but those are precious seconds I'd lose if they did.

Now I have to get the Alarm fixed. Oh well, I suppose I should be glad that I at least learned that. So I guess all's well that ends well, right? I got back to work at 5:00 PM, worked 'til 7:30 (lost half a day over this, so far), drove to class, got out of class at 10:00 PM and jumped back in the car. Driving home in the dark, look down and now half of my speedometer is dark. All of a sudden. What a coincidence. I call the dealer, they say bring it in at 9:30 AM on Saturday, *sigh*. Show up on Saturday at 9:30, the tech asks can I bring it back during the week because he has his “slow crew” today. I tell him “no, your man told me to come in, I can't help it if he didn't put it on the schedule.” I leave my mobile number and go to the lounge and wait patiently for 2 hours.

I call over, and he tells me, “Your car is ready, I was too busy to call you [!], you have three bulbs out, they are special order we can do it next week and it will cost you $150.00. I want to know why it will cost me when their nightmare is the cause of it. “We didn't make your bulbs go out, it's not our fault.” [Oh look, another dealer did the same thing to someone else here: https://www.evolutionm.net/forums/ev...g-recall.html]] I tell him in that case I will get the work done somewhere else and likely never bring my car to a Mitsubishi dealer ever again for any reason. I happen to have video taken only a couple of weeks ago showing that the bulbs behind my speedo were just fine (FF to 40 seconds in).

TL,DR:
  • I Took my Evo IX to Ourisman Mitsubishi to get the Takata airbag recall done.
  • They disconnected the alarm antenna when doing the airbag.
  • They disconnected the driver door alarm switch when fixing the antenna.
  • They broke my speedometer lights at some point in the process.
  • They refuse to fix my speedometer lights without charging me up the wazoo.
  • They are unapologetic about damaging my car and wasting my time.
Old Jul 26, 2015, 03:32 PM
Evolved Member

Received 66 Likes on 58 Posts
That totally sucks man, that is a perfect example of why I just unplugged the passenger side airbag and will just deal with my srs light being on.
Old Jul 26, 2015, 03:46 PM
Evolved Member

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
Sad story but I can't believe hard evo fans still going to dealers
Old Jul 27, 2015, 03:00 AM

Exactly why I threw that recall paper away, not worth my time.
Old Jul 27, 2015, 04:05 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
sorry to hear, definitely makes another reason why I won't get it done.
Old Jul 27, 2015, 04:35 AM
Evolving Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by wjamyers

you have three bulbs out, they are special order we can do it next week and it will cost you $150.00. I want to know why it will cost me when their nightmare is the cause of it. Evo IX, Low Oil Pressure with New Tune - YouTube

[/LIST]
Bummer with the dealership... This is exactly why I don't like anyone else touching my car but me, understood this was a necessary task though.

If you have any other dash bulbs go out, just an fyi they can be bought at autozone for a couple bucks each and swapping them out is a very easy 5-10 minute job.
Old Jul 27, 2015, 07:17 AM
Evolved Member

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts
I'll take shrapnel to the face over all that BS
Old Jul 27, 2015, 07:29 AM
Evolved Member

Received 99 Likes on 79 Posts
Those are like $4 bulbs FYI.

RussellM at Mitsubishiparts.net can get them for you
Old Jul 27, 2015, 08:01 AM

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
Originally Posted by YogSaahoth
It can be a little worse than just shrapnel. Eight people have been killed by them. Check out the photos of the injuries...its pretty rough.

Takata Airbag Injury Photos
Old Jul 27, 2015, 10:30 AM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by YogSaahoth
not yours, your passenger's. mine is my choice. my passenger's is not.
Old Jul 27, 2015, 10:37 AM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by llDemonll
Those are like $4 bulbs FYI.

RussellM at Mitsubishiparts.net can get them for you
Thanks.

The dealer just called. They will fix my dash lights, now, I suppose after emailing their GM and SM and trying (and failing) to CC the CEO of Mitsu North America and hitting both corporate and dealer FB pages, all with links to this thread which comes up number one in results if you google "Ourisman Mitsubishi Evo IX". That's the EvoM juice.

Now I only have to stress about what else they'll break, considering they're 3 for 3. I know a lot of you will say I'm a glutton for punishment but I don't think I should have to pay a dime or work for five minutes over this.
Old Jul 27, 2015, 11:01 AM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Bulb

Steve0677 do u know the bulb part number from autozone? I took my bulb in and they say only dealership has it

Originally Posted by steve0677
Bummer with the dealership... This is exactly why I don't like anyone else touching my car but me, understood this was a necessary task though.

If you have any other dash bulbs go out, just an fyi they can be bought at autozone for a couple bucks each and swapping them out is a very easy 5-10 minute job.
Old Jul 27, 2015, 07:34 PM
Evolved Member

Received 77 Likes on 52 Posts
Originally Posted by ctfpevoVIII
I just unplugged the passenger side airbag and will just deal with my srs light being on.
I imagine you can just have the SRS light turned off by your tuner, right?
Old Jul 27, 2015, 07:55 PM
Evolved Member

Received 66 Likes on 58 Posts
Originally Posted by kpt6
I imagine you can just have the SRS light turned off by your tuner, right?
don't know but I'm going to find out.
Old Jul 27, 2015, 08:21 PM
Evolved Member

Received 77 Likes on 52 Posts
Originally Posted by ctfpevoVIII
don't know but I'm going to find out.
I don't know either, so please report back!

Quick Reply: Dealer Horror Story, Ourisman Mitsubishi, Evo IX Takata Airbag Recall