Notices
Evo General Discuss any generalized technical Evo related topics that may not fit into the other forums. Please do not post tech and rumor threads here.
Sponsored by: RavSpec - JDM Wheels Central

Evo IX stutter problems, now no start

Search this Thread

Old Aug 10, 2015, 10:29 PM
Evolved Member

Received 14 Likes on 9 Posts
Originally Posted by hooliganSKATE
ok, are you pretty positive it's bad based on this info? I just want to be sure before ordering anything else.. I've already replaced 4 parts its seems with no luck in fixing the issue, and these IAC's aren't cheap. There's a guy selling a throttle body with the IAC in it which I can get for $150, which is the cheapest I'm probably going to get an OEM one for, but I just want to be sure before spending ANY more money.
I'm not saying that. If the car was warm then it will move like your video. If it was dead cold and moved like that then it's bad. There are 120 steps, very small steps.

Where in CO are you? I can take a quick look. I'm in NoCo. I've seen the map sensor and the tps connection loose because the clips were missing. Both caused issues like you described. It could be a bunch of things. Is there a CEL on? Any changes recently? Bad fuel pump can cause this too. I've seen intermittent fuel pumps start a car and when it get's warm it dies.
Old Aug 11, 2015, 07:19 AM
Evolved Member

Received 22 Likes on 22 Posts
Isn't there an IAC from another Mitsu that fits on the Evo? I thought there was a cheaper option.
Old Aug 11, 2015, 08:52 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by 10isace
I'm not saying that. If the car was warm then it will move like your video. If it was dead cold and moved like that then it's bad. There are 120 steps, very small steps.

Where in CO are you? I can take a quick look. I'm in NoCo. I've seen the map sensor and the tps connection loose because the clips were missing. Both caused issues like you described. It could be a bunch of things. Is there a CEL on? Any changes recently? Bad fuel pump can cause this too. I've seen intermittent fuel pumps start a car and when it get's warm it dies.
Yeah the car was dead cold when doing this test, it hasn't started for 3 weeks now so it was cold. I'm in littleton, probably a ways from where you are but I appreciate the offer!

I don't seem to have a CEL at all, and haven't had any changes. I've been on the same setup for 4 months prior to any of this happening so I'm not really sure what I should check now. Part of me wants to order the IAC valve but I worry that it still won't fix my issue.
Old Aug 11, 2015, 10:46 AM

I just went and listened to hear if the fuel pump is coming on as people have told me to do, and with the gas cap off while having someone else turn the key on I don't hear ANYTHING. Is it possible that the fuel pump is just that quiet? Or am I looking at a bad fuel pump? Are there better more definitive ways to rule this out as the problem or not? I also cannot hear anything with the back seat off, and the cover for the pump off.

My buddy has a Fuel pump I can get to throw in for $50, so I may just do that tomorrow unless you guys think further testing is required before doing anything.

Thanks for the help so far!
Old Aug 12, 2015, 08:01 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I just went and listened to hear if the fuel pump is coming on as people have told me to do, and with the gas cap off while having someone else turn the key on I don't hear ANYTHING. Is it possible that the fuel pump is just that quiet? Or am I looking at a bad fuel pump? Are there better more definitive ways to rule this out as the problem or not? I also cannot hear anything with the back seat off, and the cover for the pump off.

My buddy has a Fuel pump I can get to throw in for $50, so I may just do that tomorrow unless you guys think further testing is required before doing anything.

Thanks for the help so far!

Have or can you check fuel pressure?
Old Aug 12, 2015, 12:55 PM

SHES RUNNING MOTHER ****ERS!!! Praise jesus and the bacon gods this ***** is going strong now!!

Turns out it was the fuel pump the whole time.. Just threw in a new one and it's running great! I feel so stupid.. I didn't think it could have been the fuel pump because I could smell fuel when I tried to start it these past few weeks. Just goes to show that I need to listen to people better when they tell me what to check lol. Thanks very much for everyone's help!!!!
Old Aug 17, 2015, 03:30 PM
Evolving Member

SHES RUNNING MOTHER ****ERS!!! Praise jesus and the bacon gods this ***** is going strong now!!

Turns out it was the fuel pump the whole time.. Just threw in a new one and it's running great! I feel so stupid.. I didn't think it could have been the fuel pump because I could smell fuel when I tried to start it these past few weeks. Just goes to show that I need to listen to people better when they tell me what to check lol. Thanks very much for everyone's help!!!!
Dont feel stupid. I am going through some problems as you BUT mine is the Omni 4 bar MAP sensor