Notices
Evo General Discuss any generalized technical Evo related topics that may not fit into the other forums. Please do not post tech and rumor threads here.
Sponsored by: RavSpec - JDM Wheels Central

Best way to deal with spinning wheel studs???

Search this Thread

Old Aug 24, 2015, 03:21 PM
Evolving Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
That doesn't seem professional
Old Aug 24, 2015, 03:44 PM
kaj
EvoM Community Team Leader

Received 812 Likes on 677 Posts
Unacceptable unless you told them to do whatever they had to.
Old Aug 24, 2015, 03:54 PM
Evolved Member

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts
Originally Posted by letsgetthisdone
I wouldn't run that wheel. Aluminum doesn't play well with heat (torches)...
As a dumb customer I did not know this. Shouldn't they have?!?!?

Originally Posted by Chu's Mom
That doesn't seem professional
No I don't think so.

Originally Posted by kaj
Unacceptable unless you told them to do whatever they had to.
He did tell me they were going to use a torch, but I wasn't aware that it is harmful to aluminum. I know more than your average Joe, but this was not something I was aware of.

I ended up calling him back and asking him why he didn't drill it out. He claims they couldn't drill it because the stud kept spinning. Well duh it kept spinning... That's why I had this problem in the first place. I asked him if they used a vice grip to keep it from spinning, and he said "there was no room".

This is funny because when I was trying to drill it out myself last night, I came across the spinning problem. I was able to easily resolve this problem by using a needle nose vice grip to hold the nut in the place. I think the reason I wasn't having luck getting through the stud was I was either going to fast with the drill or my drill wasn't powerful enough..

I'm pissed. I wrote a bad yelp review and emailed Goodyear. This shop is a part of Goodyear's Tire and Service Network.

Anything else I should do? Cry?
Old Aug 24, 2015, 03:59 PM
kaj

Not much you can do, I think, since they had permission. Those wheels look like they got really hot, though. I'm not sure how bad that would be for a wheel. I'd Google around to find out.
Old Aug 24, 2015, 04:05 PM
EvoM Guru

Received 1,543 Likes on 1,322 Posts
The heat anneals the aluminum. You won't know how bad it is because you don't know how hot any one part of the wheel got, and you don't know for how long it was above the temp that aluminum starts to anneal at. Granted, given that not much of the paint came off of the wheel, its probably OK, I still wouldn't want to risk it..
Old Aug 24, 2015, 05:08 PM
kaj

I'll buy the wheels, though. LOL

Don't laugh. I need rollers :-P
Old Aug 25, 2015, 02:14 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
1. Broke the stud because nut crossthreaded
2. Broke the rest on purpose
3. Hammered out the studs
4. Installed new studs
5. Now im happy with finished product

Last edited by essej; Aug 25, 2015 at 02:16 AM.
Old Aug 25, 2015, 06:31 AM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by kaj
I'll buy the wheels, though. LOL

Don't laugh. I need rollers :-P
How much would shipping be from NY to Cali?

Originally Posted by essej
1. Broke the stud because nut crossthreaded
2. Broke the rest on purpose
3. Hammered out the studs
4. Installed new studs
5. Now im happy with finished product

Did the stud break on its own? Or did you do something to break it? If they broke on their own for me, I would have been fine.

I'm still livid and disgusted about this whole situation. It just goes to show you how incompetent these places are and for the most part they get away with it because most people are clueless.

I'm going to be contacting Goodyear in attempt to get them to cover the cost of a new wheel. It's a joke that I read 20+ threads from different car forums about how to resolve this issue, and they all say to drill out the studs, yet a professional shop can't manage to do the same thing. If that doesn't go anywhere I'll be issuing a charge-back via my CC.
Old Aug 25, 2015, 07:42 AM
kaj

Originally Posted by Kreeker
How much would shipping be from NY to Cali?

Did the stud break on its own? Or did you do something to break it? If they broke on their own for me, I would have been fine.

I'm still livid and disgusted about this whole situation. It just goes to show you how incompetent these places are and for the most part they get away with it because most people are clueless.

I'm going to be contacting Goodyear in attempt to get them to cover the cost of a new wheel. It's a joke that I read 20+ threads from different car forums about how to resolve this issue, and they all say to drill out the studs, yet a professional shop can't manage to do the same thing. If that doesn't go anywhere I'll be issuing a charge-back via my CC.
i honestly have no idea what shipping would be, to tell the truth.

no way you could have broken your own studs, from the sound of it. you would have to find a way to make it not spin while using one hell of an impact LOL. sounds kinda fun, though haha.

again, you gave them permission to use the torch, so not sure you have a leg to stand on in regards to them replacing the wheel. for example: i once had a watch repaired. without asking me, they modified the body of the watch, drilled new holes, added a link from a completely different watch, and wire-wheeled all the chrome accents to make it all match. i was livid and they replaced the watch after i contacted their corporate office. this is all only because they did un-permitted repairs.
had they done this without asking, they would replace the wheel, no problem.

either way, good luck, man. let me know if you decide to ditch the set.

Last edited by kaj; Aug 25, 2015 at 08:33 AM.
Old Aug 25, 2015, 08:19 AM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by kaj
i honestly have no idea what shipping would be, to tell the truth.

no way you could have broken your own studs, from the sound of it. you would have to find a way to make it not spin while using one hell of an impact LOL. sounds kinda fun, though haha.

again, you gave them permission to use the torch, so not sure you have a leg to stand on in regards to them replacing the wheel. for example: i once had a watch repaired. without asking me, they modified the body of the watch, drilled new holes, added a link from a completely different watch, and wire-wheeled all the chrome accents to make it all match. i was lived and they replaced the watch after i contacted their corporate office. this is all only because they did un-permitted repairs.
had they done this without asking, they would replace the wheel, no problem.

either way, good luck, man. let me know if you decide to ditch the set.
I will let you know.

My main argument is going to be their incompetency. It should have never gotten to the point of them whacking at my lugs nuts and hitting it with a torch. I could have done the same thing for free if I had wanted to destroy my wheels. When he asked me about the torch, they were already 1.5 hours into the repair so I don't really know if I had much choice...

This guy with an X had the same EXACT issue and was able to drill out the studs without destroying his wheels: http://www.evoxforums.com/forums/showthread.php?t=59755

Although it's a joke that I was charged 2 hours of labor for this job, I would have been HAPPY to pay for the exorbitant price of this repair if they had done it correctly.

I can only imagine how they ended up getting off all the studs after the removed the lug nuts. I'm sure they just whacked them off with a hammer. When I replaced one of my rear studs I specifically bought a ball join separator so I wouldn't damage my hub.

They should be ashamed of their so called skills, and hopefully Goodyear cares enough to force this shop to do something about it.

Last edited by Kreeker; Aug 25, 2015 at 08:25 AM.
Old Aug 25, 2015, 08:34 AM
kaj

you are understandably upset. anyway, i think i saw a single BBS or maybe a pair in the classified section. that would be fortunate if you decide to keep them.
Old Aug 25, 2015, 09:46 AM

Received 704 Likes on 592 Posts
hate to say it, but you shoulda just used the saw method i suggested. Would have saved so much time and headache. Took me all of 2 minutes to get a spinning stud out.
Old Aug 25, 2015, 10:59 AM
Evolved Member

During lunch I called Goodyear who then contacted the shop. Goodyear claimed they had no say in what the shop does because it's independent. They did speak to the shop, and the owner told me to call him. Before calling the shop owner I did flip my **** on the nice CSR at Goodyear which I regret.

After asking the shop owner if he thought they did a good job and getting no answer, I then went on to scream about how they ruined my wheel when they should have been able to do the job without damaging them. The owner asked me what I wanted to do, and I said I want a new wheel. He went on again about how he told me they could damage the wheel and that they had to do what they did. I insisted that they performed the job incorrectly and if I had wanted to destroy my wheel I wouldn't have went to a professional.

He is now looking for a new wheel for me. So we'll see where this goes.

Originally Posted by Biggiesacks
hate to say it, but you shoulda just used the saw method i suggested. Would have saved so much time and headache. Took me all of 2 minutes to get a spinning stud out.
I didn't have a saw, but yes if I could go back in time I probably would have taken off a few days or gotten a rental so I could spend more time on the car.

I'm sorry if I sound whiny, I'm using this thread as my venting platform. Anyone who saw me during lunch probably thought I was going to kill someone.

Last edited by Kreeker; Aug 25, 2015 at 11:02 AM.
Old Aug 25, 2015, 11:08 AM
EvoM Guru

Received 1,543 Likes on 1,322 Posts
The "techs" at most of those chain/corporate goodyear, firestone, etc type shops are far from professionals.
Old Aug 25, 2015, 12:56 PM

Received 704 Likes on 592 Posts
Originally Posted by Kreeker
During lunch I called Goodyear who then contacted the shop. Goodyear claimed they had no say in what the shop does because it's independent. They did speak to the shop, and the owner told me to call him. Before calling the shop owner I did flip my **** on the nice CSR at Goodyear which I regret.

After asking the shop owner if he thought they did a good job and getting no answer, I then went on to scream about how they ruined my wheel when they should have been able to do the job without damaging them. The owner asked me what I wanted to do, and I said I want a new wheel. He went on again about how he told me they could damage the wheel and that they had to do what they did. I insisted that they performed the job incorrectly and if I had wanted to destroy my wheel I wouldn't have went to a professional.

He is now looking for a new wheel for me. So we'll see where this goes.

I didn't have a saw, but yes if I could go back in time I probably would have taken off a few days or gotten a rental so I could spend more time on the car.

I'm sorry if I sound whiny, I'm using this thread as my venting platform. Anyone who saw me during lunch probably thought I was going to kill someone.
you dont need the whole saw, just a blade. They cost like a couple dollars tops. You just hold the saw blade with your hand and spin the lug and the blade will cut through

Quick Reply: Best way to deal with spinning wheel studs???