Notices
Evo General Discuss any generalized technical Evo related topics that may not fit into the other forums. Please do not post tech and rumor threads here.
Sponsored by: RavSpec - JDM Wheels Central

Car won't start, TPS, CAS, Fuse..?

Search this Thread

Old Sep 5, 2015, 12:48 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Car won't start, TPS, CAS, Fuse..?

I'll try to keep this quick, last night tried to start up my IX that had been sitting in the garage all day. I'm currently doing a 93 tune on Tephra V7 which have been working perfectly, only changing the AFR and timing maps now so no huge things there.

Anyways, car just turns over wont start. I reflash to my new map that I was gonna run, push the gas pedal to switch to my alt map (where I made the changes) and no flashing CEL. Car won't start again. Open up evoscan and won't connect while the car is just sitting in the IGN spot. Try to read DTC and no response.

Fast forward to today. Go out, key in, change to alt map fine, car starts up. I let it idle for 5 minutes and shut it off for about 5. Try to start it again and nope. Just cranks over. Hold the pedal down and can't switch maps, evoscan won't connect (ecuflash will read/write perfectly still though).

Any thoughts or suggestions? Checked a couple of engine fuses under the dash and didn't look like any were out. Could this be a crank or cam sensor? Throttle position sensor? Other fuse? Shorted wire somewhere? Not sure where to start.

i haven't re-scaled my cranking enrichment tables since I've switched to my FIC bluemax 1250's but they're scaled otherwise and have been starting fine for weeks. Warm and hot starts take a few cranks but fire up after. Can't imagine I would see te TPS map switch issue of this was the cause though.

I'm stumped for now. Thanks!
Old Sep 8, 2015, 04:24 PM
EvoM Guru

Received 1,543 Likes on 1,322 Posts
first off, pump gas should be your main map, not your alt map.

Are you on MAF? make sure the screen is still in the housing..
Old Sep 8, 2015, 05:28 PM

I haven't started an e85 tune yet so both maps are 93 pump right now. I've just been making my changes to the alt map so I can switch back to the main if I overdo it and get any knock. I've been doing little tweaks here and there so I'll leave an experimental tune on the alt map for a few days sometimes before I flash an improved one in there.

I'll check the MAF screen though and see if there's any issues in there. If the MAF isn't working (or unplugged) would the car start but run in limp mode or just not fire at all? Haven't had a MAF fail on me before so I'm not sure how it would act!
Old Sep 8, 2015, 05:52 PM
EvoM Community Team Leader

Received 704 Likes on 592 Posts
Originally Posted by Wmu240
I haven't started an e85 tune yet so both maps are 93 pump right now. I've just been making my changes to the alt map so I can switch back to the main if I overdo it and get any knock. I've been doing little tweaks here and there so I'll leave an experimental tune on the alt map for a few days sometimes before I flash an improved one in there.

I'll check the MAF screen though and see if there's any issues in there. If the MAF isn't working (or unplugged) would the car start but run in limp mode or just not fire at all? Haven't had a MAF fail on me before so I'm not sure how it would act!
What kind of condition is your battery in? Do you access to a charger? Try connecting to evoscan while on a charger and see if it connects
Old Sep 8, 2015, 06:21 PM

Sorry, didn't put any of that info in my original. I run an odyssey mini-battery and my IX is pretty sensitive to voltage during flashing so I had it hooked to a charger while reflashing it. Tried that and jumping from a running car but evoscan isn't connecting.

Ecuflash reads/writes perfectly still though. I'm guessing it's related to whatever is causing the TPS to not switch maps currently. Not sure if a broken crank or cam sensor would prevent the TPS map switch while in the IGN position but without cranking. I think I'll grab my multimeter tomorrow and try to verify if those sensors both see voltage before cranking. If not then they shouldn't be able to influence the TPS map switch because there wouldn't be any feedback from them prior to cranking. Sound like I'm thinking correctly or does this sound a little off-point?

Appreciate the help so far guys!